Pilots who are avid brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I missed the furloughs at DL. My wife flew in the 701st and she is a beer drinker and not a brewer. She finished UPT (Columbus) in June of 93 and didn't get to CHS until mid 94. Hung on until the C17 came but I was at DL and we had a 6 month old so 6 months in Altus would have been difficult to pull off so she got out then (late 99).

Nick

I am an American Eagle FO (6 years now:(). I have been brewing on and off for about 15 years, but have now within the last year kicked it up to full time. I used to do 5 gallon malt extract batches, but now do 15 gallon brews. I am in the process of putting together a single tier all grain, I have most of the parts, just waiting for my girlfriend's (FA) brother to cut and weld the steel for me.

I know you (The POL) have left this forum, I hope you will return, as you have been a big help and inspiration for me over the past year or so.

I am in Bethel, ME, have yet to find any local brewers around here, so PM me if you are!

Long uncurrent Private Pilot here. I got my ticket in 1987 and ran out of money for the last time in 1991 or so. By then, I was a Flight Follower at my first airline (long live RP!), and realized that I'd have more fun flying for fun than for the folks with stripes on their shoulders. I was still in college in the late eighties, with eyeballs that prevented flying for the military, so me and my buddies would fly some place for lunch and the beach...usually Martha's or Nantucket. Boston center would allow us to go direct BOS if we could get above the TCA (remember them? ha!) at 7500 or better. Usually we could. I then went my next airline in 1993, just as ACA took over the DHC-8's from Air Cheese. Stayed with ACA in Dispatch till 1997, then left the airlines for good. I now work for a Boeing subsidary, but on the military side. So, I've got the PPL and Aircraft Dispatcher tickets, and about 300 hours. I've also got my USPA B license, and about 80 jumps. BSBD

My introduction to homebrewing was from one of my favorite Captains at ACA. Jim was a trip. My first ACARS message from him was "your momma wears combat boots"...I knew we'd be good friends after that! He had a still in his garage, and lots of mead. The hooch was like drinking fire and the mead was danger in a glass. He also introduced me to hashing. Just a wicked cool guy. Cancer took him last year. RIP Jim.

I don't regret my career path at all, but I'll always be envious of those who were able to fly for a living.

Retired Army and EMS helicopter pilot. Started brewing in 1991 after coming home from the desert where there aint no beer. 5,000+ hours and the alphabet soup that goes with quals and ratings. I did get airplane with commercial, multiengine land and instrument, but helicopters are a helluva lot more fun!

Helicopters for the last 25 years, but just started brewing a few months ago. I am in SLC while my Bass clone is fermenting in Boise. Get home this weakend to keg.

I have a commercial license with instrument rating in helicopters. About 165 hours so far. Currently in college, and training for my CFI (Certified Flight Instructor) part time. I've been brewing for about a year, and just brewed my first all grain batch!

Currently training towards my commercial license. I Hold a PPL with night rating. One day I plan on building a high performance aerobatic plane.

ATP B767/757, B737, DC-8, DC-9, BA-14. International Freight Guy. All-grain, single tier 1//2 barrel system. 3 tap kegerator (able to hold 6 cornies), Temp-controlled freezer for fermentation (will hold (5) 5 gallon fermenters). SWMBO is the assistant brewer responsible for brewing duties while I am away.

ATP B767/757, B737, DC-8, DC-9, BA-14. International Freight Guy. All-grain, single tier 1//2 barrel system. 3 tap kegerator (able to hold 6 cornies), Temp-controlled freezer for fermentation (will hold (5) 5 gallon fermenters). SWMBO is the assistant brewer responsible for brewing duties while I am away.

Your company hiring?

Fly a B757/767 for yet another "beleaguered" carrier. Been flying since 1987 and brewing since around '91 when a guy in my AF squardon got me interested (Thanks Rob).

Spent the better part of a trip last week trying to craft my own "house porter"..... and forget that I fly for a living. Remember... if you do what you love for a living, then the thing you love becomes a job. (sorry... it's been a horrible month... year.... decade at work)

Back