Pilot Tubing Fitting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhutter

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find 1/4" male flare to 1/4" compression fittings for aluminum pilot gas hard tubing? I have Baso pilot burners and Base H19AL pilot safety valves - both come with 1/4" male flare fittings with a smooth opening on the other end.

Is this normal for these fittings? If so how is there any kind of seal?

I have looked at some of the big online plumbing supply stores, as well as Lowes and Home Depot with no luck.

The Baso valves use a compression ferrule attached to the compression nut, if the barrel shaped ferrule is lost a 1/4" compression fitting by weatherhead will have an identical component. A suggestion when installing these type components is apply some light grease or oil to the threads on the brass compression nut to make tightening much easier.

Sorry, I guess I'm still missing how this connects...

I ordered the Baso pilot tubing pictured in this link: http://www.baso.com/Section/Products/Accessories/Y99AR-1_Pilot_Burner_Tubing.html Pictured are the 4 flared fittings that screw into the safety valves and also into the pilot burners. These same fittings came with both the pilots and the safety valve, so I have duplicates now. The pilots and the safety valve have female flare connections that these screw into. These fittings have no connector on the other side, just a hole where the pilot tubing fits through and a hex end for tightening.

Are these included fittings not used at all? I'm not seeing any way they are usable since there is no compression connector on the side opposite the flare fitting...

The parts shown are the compression type with the compression ferrule attached to the retaining nut. When tightened the compression ferrule breaks away from retaining nut and grips and seals the tubing. The short answer is you have the right parts for the valve and pilots, slide tubing through nut until bottomed and tighten. A suggestion is blow through tubing to clear chips and loose items before installing, not much will fall through the .010" opening in the pilot.

OK, that makes sense now - looking at the ferrule end I can see what you just described. I definitely have never installed pilot tubing before, so thanks for answering this!

Baso's instructions of "Attach the pilot gas line to the pilot burner" didn't quite give me enough to go on :cross:

Thanks Again!

Rob

Back