PID Temp Probe Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalh20

Reaction score
I am wrapping up my temp control box build and am having issues with my PID temp reading. I have a PT100 style temp probe with 3 wires and have wired per the sticker on the side of it (see pics).

The issue is that my PID is reading a temp of around 560 degrees. If I warm the probe, it does change so it's getting something, but I can't explain the high temp showing. What could I correct?

I've checked my wiring and it appears correct. I measured between the two red wires (at the connectors and also at the PID which are diff colors in the pictures) and it ohms out at zero which I believe is correct. I did the same for the blue wire to red wires and it's at .1 ohms. The jumpered wires ohm to zero which obviously is correct (just to check my jumper).

Any ideas?
http://imgur.com/a/VJugv
VJugv

Edit to add info - purple and green (7 and 10) are the two previously red wires that ohm out at zero together. 8 and 9 are the jumpered third wire (was blue)

I am wrapping up my temp control box build and am having issues with my PID temp reading. I have a PT100 style temp probe with 3 wires and have wired per the sticker on the side of it (see pics).

The issue is that my PID is reading a temp of around 560 degrees. If I warm the probe, it does change so it's getting something, but I can't explain the high temp showing. What could I correct?

I've checked my wiring and it appears correct. I measured between the two red wires (at the connectors and also at the PID which are diff colors in the pictures) and it ohms out at zero which I believe is correct. I did the same for the blue wire to red wires and it's at .1 ohms. The jumpered wires ohm to zero which obviously is correct (just to check my jumper).

Any ideas?
VJugv

Edit to add info - purple and green (7 and 10) are the two previously red wires that ohm out at zero together. 8 and 9 are the jumpered third wire (was blue)

Most PID's have provisions for using different types of temperature sensors. The PID needs to be set for the kind of sensor you actually have (PT100). The way you do this is different depending on PID manufacturer and model. You can either RTFM (which may not be an option if it's not in a language you read), or specify your PID brand and model here, and maybe someone can help you.

You should also check that you didn't accidentally get some wire insulation stuck in the connections to the PID. That would mess up your readings for sure.

Brew on :mug:

I have a feeling your PID is set to read a thermocouple right now. You will need to find the setting to change it to use an RTD, should fix your problem

the mypins (as your picture shows) are in fact set to TC (thermocouple) by default... you need to follow the chart on the instruction sheet and change it to "PT" as I had to do with all four of the mypins I set up... the direction sheet is not great since its in engrish but I have seen much worse and I managed to understand what everything is saying..

also be sure to follow the wiring diagram on the pid sticker and not necessarily the directions since depending on the model pid they made a change in the temp controller wiring pin out and never changed the directions to include it.

Any ideas?
VJugv

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=409045
I used this thread to wire mine as well as switching the pid to rtd
it shows that the jumper is not needed starting at post #30.
Mine seems to be working fine with only the three wires hooked up.
4th wire connect is for 4 wire rtd according to the thread.

Back