Pictures of your Hop Babies/Hop Photo Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My goldings finally sprouted aboveground today, about 2wks after the Cascade came up.

Heres my hops Fuggles, Cascade, Mt Hood in that order. The Mt Hood came up within a couple days of planting a good week or more before the others.

hops.jpg

first year willamette...about 5", after 2 weeks in the ground in southeastern PA weather...i'm pumped!!!:ban:

will1ni8.jpg

Here are some pics of my Fuggles and Kent Goldings at a little over 2wks.

fuggles-0421.jpg

kentgolding-0415.jpg

Not as fast as some of the other ones seen here but they seem to be doing well. :)

He is toting a barrel of beer in his cart.......

How do I go about determining which shoots to pinch off?
Last year I had about 10strong shoots - it was easy to tell, now Im not so sure....

Heres a picture of my fuggle, and goldings. I have 5 others but they are small sprouts or havnt broke ground yet.

the fuggle has taken off in the last week:rockin:
04-23-08_1546.jpg

04-23-08_1545.jpg

Here's mine so far. I have 8 pots, two each of four different varieties. I'll be running twine up to the eaves of my garage for each bine. I have only one run so far. I'm waiting for the bines to grow a little more. The Chinook and Centennial were planted about two weeks after the Willamette and Cascade.
Hops1.jpg

Willamette
Hops2.jpg

Cascade
Hops3.jpg

Chinook
Hops4.jpg

Centennial
Hops5.jpg

lol the magnums look like pot when they are really young! i thought all hops had the same leaf style till i started growing my own and noticed they where ALL differnt!

Congrats on all of you all that have some sprouts, or nice looking bines. I planted about two weeks ago, but our weather has been cold and rainy so nothing yet. Not worried about it yet, I'll give them another week or so then I might do some digging.

McKBrew said:
Congrats on all of you all that have some sprouts, or nice looking bines. I planted about two weeks ago, but our weather has been cold and rainy so nothing yet. Not worried about it yet, I'll give them another week or so then I might do some digging.

yeah the weather here has been crappy too. After about 2.5 weeks I dug around them yesterday. They are sprouting. Hopefully they start a little quicker now that the weather's getting better.

I'm pretty psyched. These are the Chinook and Fuggles that Ryan_PA gave me. They're second year as transplanted out of 3-4 gallon pots.
chinookfuggleapril.jpg

Here are a bunch of cascades growing off small rhizomes I got from the brewclub.
cascade2april.jpg

Here's a wide shot of my lines up the south side of my house.
hopgrowinghouse.jpg

Here's a Centennial that Jfish63 traded me for some Cascade. Nice big rhizome on this one.
centennialapril.jpg

Bobby_M said:
I'm pretty psyched. These are the Chinook and Fuggles that Ryan_PA gave me. They're second year as transplanted out of 3-4 gallon pots.
chinookfuggleapril.jpg

Here are a bunch of cascades growing off small rhizomes I got from the brewclub.
cascade2april.jpg

Here's a wide shot of my lines up the south side of my house.
hopgrowinghouse.jpg

Are you going to repelling off the roof to harvest them?;)
I like it, looks nice.

You mean the ones I can't reach from the second story windows? Haha, I've got ladders.

I was orginally going to let the lines down off the eye hooks but I'd have to leave half of each loop barren. I've got ladders..

chinookgrowthvi1.jpg

I did Not expect this when I went to water my hops this morning. This is a Chinook plant that was in a pot for about 9 or 10 days and then it's been in the ground for about 2 weeks. It must've grown 2 or 3" in less than a day. Crazy.

Wow, what a day for me. My last of 4 original plants (1 was eaten) broke ground today with not 1, but 2 shoots:
centennial1budslo8.jpg

I also found it a bit strange that my earlier pictured Chinook shoot completely changed direction at the top:
chinook1direction2ip0.jpg

Strange.

foonder said:
I also found it a bit strange that my earlier pictured Chinook shoot completely changed direction at the top:
It's looking for something to climb.

ma2brew said:
It's looking for something to climb.

yeah, I noticed that on my fuggle last night and just put a stake for it to climb for now.....this morning, it wrapped around a few times!

Just returned from a 5 day trip and my hops are up! I have (2) Mt Hood, (2) Willamette and (2) Cascade that are all up! Multiple shoots are coming off all of them! I AM SO EXCITED! Now I just have to buy some sod! LOL

I got my rhizomes planted. A bit later but better than never. We have a very long grow season so I'm not concerned in the least. Here is a bit of nugget showing its face, 2 days after being planted.

nugget4-24-08.jpg

My earlier mentioned chinook searched and grew until it grabbed a piece of twine. I'll upload a pic later

I planted these about almost 2 weeks ago. The centennial is doing well and the Cascade is trying to catch up. And yes that is snow in the background. Thats what I get for living in Minnesota.

Centennial.jpg

SnowHops.jpg

my rhizomes have not been shipped yet, but i am ready for them!
have 2 cascade and 2 hallerta coming.
trellis is 20 ft tall with clothes line wire for them to climb.
holes are filled to a depth of 18" with a mix of top soil,peat moss and composted manure.
it will have to be re-done as the plants mature to increase its strength, but i had to get it built for this year.
oops - just noticed swmbo is in the pictures and not a flattering view - better not let her see!

homebrew 001.jpg

homebrew 002.jpg

homebrew 003.jpg

homebrew 004.jpg

In case you are wondering about the need to do root trimming, one Nuggett rhizome at three years. Looks like we might have had our last frost. But there is still snow at 1000 feet, so who knows. Have some freeze damage on the Mt. Hood, but everything else is chugging.

nuggett28apr08.jpg

The plant has grown about an inch since yesterday, and it's grabbing onto the twine all by itself.
chinookgrabbinghb5.jpg

Back