Pictures of your Hop Babies/Hop Photo Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pics of my Chinook rhizomes sprouting up some shoots. The soil looks soaked because I just watered it. I've been overwatering them a bit, so I'm going to start watering them 1/4 of a cup every day. That should be enough until they're in the ground.

Here you see one strong shoot emerging on the left, and what looks like another strong shoot growing out on the right but it has no head. I might've knocked it off, but I doubt it. Maybe it's just still growing in? Or something?

chinook1wet2fo1.jpg

Here's my other Chinook rhizome, with 2 close shoots starting to grow. These were the first to emerge, and have been getting longer bit by bit.

chinook2wet2zl3.jpg

Both have been planted for a week as of today. I've been watering them almost every day (a bit too much on some days as I said before, but now I'm keeping track). I also have 2 Centennial rhizomes planted, and found some traces of shoots while moving some soil around, but nothing photograph worthy. Hopefully I'll get these bad boys in the ground in 1 or 2 weeks!

EDIT: I have them pointing away from the sun near my window (and when I bring them outside I point them away from the sun) so that they'll make some sort of effort to grow straight up. I'm not sure why they're so crooked.

Biermann said:
all of mine are growing out crooked. My shoots haven't grown any in about 3 days. They appear stagnant. I have almost lost hope on the centennial.
That's so strange, MY centennial rhizomes haven't done much. It looks like one of them is barely shooting up 1 single shoot that's about the width of a mechanical pencil lead. I carefully dug up the other Centennial rhizome (I have 2) looking for any baby shoots, and the rhizome had barely anything growing on it. It looked like when I planted it. There were some white dots on it, almost stud like bumps, very small, I think those are new buds trying to grow out. I do remember one of the rhizomes I bought having a smashed up looking end so I clipped about 1/4" off of that rhizome, but I neglected to note which it was. Hopefully I didn't piss it off. Does anyone know if Centennials are slow to start? For some reason my rhizomes (and Biermann's) are dragging ass

Well, my Crystal, Mt. Hood and one of the Cascades have all started winding their way up their lines. The other cascade shouldn't be too far behind. I also tossed centennial and goldings rhizomes onto the remaining two lines this morning, so we'll see what they do. Now if only we had some freakin sunlight!

Evan! said:
Well, my Crystal, Mt. Hood and one of the Cascades have all started winding their way up their lines. The other cascade shouldn't be too far behind. I also tossed centennial and goldings rhizomes onto the remaining two lines this morning, so we'll see what they do. Now if only we had some freakin sunlight!

ooooh, got pics?

Yeah, I play the stagnation off on several factors--its still cool/cold here. . . its been very wet, and my soil comp isn't the greatest (somewhat clay-ey/rocky).

I also dug up my centennial--it had one sole bud on it, and one new root.

I've been utilizing some fertilizer, and lightly watering daily--although it has been raining here now for 18 hours. Hopefully we will get some sun here in the next few days, and a few 60's degree days--that should work.

On a side note, I have 15 more rhizomes on the way. I'm going to start those in pots, get them going, then plant them.

98EXL said:
ooooh, got pics?

I do now. If you insist. The wife actually suggested that I add 2 more lines, so I'll probably do that this weekend. In the meantime, I just went ahead and planted the rest of the Goldings for grand total of 8 plants-Crystal, Mt. Hood, 2 Cascade, Centennial, 3 Goldings:

hopgarden.jpg

This cascade started smaller but has shot up about 12" in the past few days!

cascade2ft.jpg

Here's the other cascade, Mt. Hood and Crystal (that's a blueberry bush obscuring the Crystal on the left):

cmhcr.jpg

And here's the Crystal, which has been the most active so far (though that Cascade is certainly challenging):

crystal2ft.jpg

Man, I'm jealous Evan. My little bastards haven't popped up yet. I planted em last Monday and then of course we had nothing but rain, clouds and cold weather for over a week straight. The SWMBO got a little nervous and made me dig down to them to make sure they were still alive and sure enough there were little itty bitty green things pokin out of them. I was sure they would have come up today with the nice weather but still nothin. I'm so impatient with these things.

Beeropolis said:
Man, I'm jealous Evan. My little bastards haven't popped up yet. I planted em last Monday and then of course we had nothing but rain, clouds and cold weather for over a week straight. The SWMBO got a little nervous and made me dig down to them to make sure they were still alive and sure enough there were little itty bitty green things pokin out of them. I was sure they would have come up today with the nice weather but still nothin. I'm so impatient with these things.

Patience, grasshopper. All these plants that are actually climbing the lines are second-year growths. My first-year rhizomes that I just got in the mail and planted haven't done anything either. Next year, though, the ones you planted this year will be going crazy about this time too.

Just wait til they get a couple feet long and you can get them wrapped a couple times and they'll go the rest.

I just bought 4 more rhizomes today! 2 Centennial and 2 Chinook. The first ones I planted are already sprouted and leaves are starting to pop up. Now I have a total of 8 plants, 2 each of Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Wilamette. :ban:

Now I can add my pictures to this thread. Here are my rhizomes, just before planting.

Cascade
DSCN0452.jpg

(This is my runt)

Chinook
DSCN0449.jpg

Fuggles
DSCN0451.jpg

Bobby_M said:
These are 2nd year Chinook (left) and Fuggle on the right... So how am I supposed to get it growing up the line?

When they get a little taller (~ a foot), start to train them up the line. They will take over once a few goos wraps around.

Dude, they look like they are going to grow STRONG!

You guys are making me jealous. 1 1/2 weeks in the ground and still nothing. Hope I didn't get duds.

reshp1 said:
You guys are making me jealous. 1 1/2 weeks in the ground and still nothing. Hope I didn't get duds.

Like I said before, the plants of mine that are climbing up are second-year growths. None of my first-year new rhizomes have done anything. RDWHAHB!

reshp1 said:
Mine first one (the one in the ground) got planted around the 16th of Mar. and the second one in the pot was planted around the 20th. I didn't think anything was happening and then they just sprouted up one day. Be patient.

No worries, it's been really cold the last few days, so that's most likely the reason.
Just getting a little hops envy looking at everyone elses. :D

I've got these on the way fellas. A little late because of a funeral but better late than never. Moved not too long ago so I'm getting these established. Who knows what next year will bring.

Rhizomes
(2) Brewers Gold
(2) Mt. Hood
(2) Williamette
(2) Nugget
(1) Magnum
(1) Zeus
(1) Newport

Here's growth on one of my plants from April 09 - April 17 (Today). It seems a bit slow for 8 days, but what do I know, I'm just a noob.

chinook1mulchhz4.jpg

8 Days Later...
chinook1close2pr0.jpg

Not bad I guess

wow that looks like a very strong chute. congrats. headed out to see if mine have sprouted yet here in a bit

Arneba28 said:
wow that looks like a very strong chute. congrats. headed out to see if mine have sprouted yet here in a bit
That chute was so badass it held up against whatever had dug up my growing area (See Thread "Something ATE IT >=(" )

From left to right:
Cascade, Nugget, Mt. Hood, Willamette

Rhizome planted in mounds of compost/manure, peet, topsoil with mulch on top
Hose on timer with holes poked at each mound

Picture010.jpg

Chain links welded to rebar to attach the 1/4" twine at the ground.
100_1155.jpg

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Still a work in progress but am rather proud of it so far. Got the trellis idea from here. Two Cascade, Two Willamette, a Davenport Golding and a Hallertau. The Hallertau and one Cascade are 2nd year transplants from growing them on the chain link fence. The Golding just came out and the Jumbo Cascade from freshops has 5 shoots out already.

This is the Hallertau 5 days ago. It has since tripled in size. I will update when the sun comes out again.

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

:mug:

Here's my 3rd year Cascade, already 6' tall:

P1010165.JPG

And my Centennial are trying to catch up:

P1010166.JPG

Both need some trimming..

Four days of frost and two of snow. All of the hops are doing fine. The Willamette looks like some of the shoots are damaged, but there's about ten that look fine. The Cascade forest has grown 2-4" in the last 24 hours, snow or no.

Back