PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else received an upgrade offer for their S, C, Pro to the new Z?

I asked the question prior to pre-ordering and was told they didn't have a program in place for it. Can you post it (the offer)? If it's out there, it should be for everyone.

Last edited:
Got this in my email yesterday. Not sure if link will work, but here is the first part of the email.

https://mailchi.mp/picobrew/whatll-you-call-your-brewery-1377090?e=d3013406de

Pico Pro users! You spoke, we listened. And from the sound of it, a lot of you are interested in upgrading your Pico Pro to our professional grade Z series.

We want to make it easy for you to upgrade and give you $300 toward your new Z Series machine when you trade in your Pico Pro model. Hold onto your Pro unit until we ship you your new Z (estimated to begin this July.)

Hmmmm, the link worked and I see the offer. I have not received that email but if it is out in the wild I would guess it will be for everyone. Unless they are only hitting the Pro. I have an S which is the same from my understanding except for a few adding that come with it.

Got this in my email yesterday. Not sure if link will work, but here is the first part of the email.

https://mailchi.mp/picobrew/whatll-you-call-your-brewery-1377090?e=d3013406de

Pico Pro users! You spoke, we listened. And from the sound of it, a lot of you are interested in upgrading your Pico Pro to our professional grade Z series.

We want to make it easy for you to upgrade and give you $300 toward your new Z Series machine when you trade in your Pico Pro model. Hold onto your Pro unit until we ship you your new Z (estimated to begin this July.)

Thanks! That linked worked for me also. Sent an e-mail to sales@. They took care of upgrading me to a Z2 and the trade in.

Does anyone know the lower end volume you can brew in each model ? For the Zymatic it only brews 2+ gallons due to the larger step filter and the keg pump would end up sucking air which is not good for any pump. Anyone have any work arounds?? Looking to brew smaller volumes ( 0.5, 1, 1.5 gallons).

Does anyone know the lower end volume you can brew in each model ? For the Zymatic it only brews 2+ gallons due to the larger step filter and the keg pump would end up sucking air which is not good for any pump. Anyone have any work arounds?? Looking to brew smaller volumes ( 0.5, 1, 1.5 gallons).

From their postings, it said 1-10. The 10 assumes the Z4... and each unit would have the ability of brewing 1gal from paks. Can you brew only 1gal in the Zymatic today? I don't see why nor...

I asked the question prior to pre-ordering and was told they didn't have a program in place for it. Can you post it (the offer)? If it's out there, it should be for everyone.
I see this got addressed already. Sorry for the delay, busy days at the office.
I believe they are trying to pre sale as much as possible and targeted the non pre-salers...

Did you have a S/Pro or C model? Is it limited to one?
I have the S, but purchased the pro upgrade (a keg, 2 transfer tubes and a regulator, iirc) during the C kickstarter. I didn't ask about limits. You might send an e-mail to sales@.

Last edited:
Can you brew only 1gal in the Zymatic today? I don't see why nor...

From support, " The Zymatic has a larger mash step filter, and if you start with less water in your brew keg, the water will be deposited and collect in the step filter without return to the keg in a timely fashion, causing the keg pump that draws water from the keg to the unit to suck air and work harder, which puts extra stress on the pump which can lead to failure."

I guess my question is has anyone tried to brew small quantities or any mods I can make to allow smaller brews?

Last edited:
From their postings, it said 1-10. The 10 assumes the Z4... and each unit would have the ability of brewing 1gal from paks. Can you brew only 1gal in the Zymatic today? I don't see why nor...

Do you know the limit or tried brewing smaller than 5L for the PicoPro?

Do you know the limit or tried brewing smaller than 5L for the PicoPro?

Nope, since the paks are fixed size, putting less water would not make much sense to me. But I can imagine the previous statement to possibly apply here as well. I can't tell for sure, sorry. In my case, I'd prefer 3Gal size, not smaller.

Nope, since the paks are fixed size, putting less water would not make much sense to me. But I can imagine the previous statement to possibly apply here as well. I can't tell for sure, sorry. In my case, I'd prefer 3Gal size, not smaller.

I was just trying to determine the limits of the machine, ignoring the fixed size of the picopaks. Lets just say there was an option for smaller paks, would the machine be fine with less water (<5L).

No, and the Zymatic can’t go under about 2 gallon batches. They advertise 1 gallon for the Z so who knows, but I suspect it will be the same as the Zymatic, with some sort of insert making the step filter smaller for Picopacks being the 1 gallon they advertise.

If they mean 1.x US. Gal by saying 1 gal, then I guess yes. I'm getting closer to 1.5-1.6 per batches.

Tbader2, isn't it easier to spit a 5gal batch in 2 than trying to get a 1 gal batch?

Finally heard back from Customer Support, there is a trade in program for Pico S/Pro not sure about C, they will give you 300 for your S/Pro toward your Z. If you have already pre-ordered then you are already enrolled and they will contact you before your Z ships to let you opt in or out of the program. I would imagine this is a ship the Pico back just like the Zy.

Correct, continue using your Pico until shipping time is close. $300 USD seems fair but a bit low, no?

I suspect it will be the same as the Zymatic, with some sort of insert making the step filter smaller for Picopacks being the 1 gallon they advertise.

I think this is key. Any idea what/how they they would decrease the size of the step filter? An insert would be a good idea.

I wonder if that rebate will stack with the rebate for a ZY.

The Z or the zymatic? I don't believe you will be able to trade both, a Zymatic and a Pico for the Z. Only 1. But the 100-250$ rebate will apply as well. One is. a trade in the other is a rebate.

I thought both was a trade-in, I know the Zy is a trade-in for 600, and the email I got from PicoBrew said it was a trade-in for the Pico S/Pro for 300. If they stack someone can get 900 off. I don't have a Zy so I can check to see if they stack.

Is it me or Picobrew's brewhouse is not working? I'm brewing at the moment, and no graph is displayed. But, if I click on the pak brewing from the brewed list... it shows the graph up to date. ?!!?

Is it me or Picobrew's brewhouse is not working? I'm brewing at the moment, and no graph is displayed. But, if I click on the pak brewing from the brewed list... it shows the graph up to date. ?!!?

I had that happen a couple of brews ago. Didn't think to click on the brew list though.

Somewhat related, anyone know what happened to the app? I thought I heard it had been submitted to Apple for approval?

I had that happen a couple of brews ago. Didn't think to click on the brew list though.

Somewhat related, anyone know what happened to the app? I thought I heard it had been submitted to Apple for approval?

Last I hear it was supposed to be this month along with the Pico ferm

I opened a ticket on both topic, I can share their answer if you'd like. I am looking forward to the app, the bug is not a big deal, just a nuisance/annoyance. It proves that the data is not lost, just a display glitch.

I opened a ticket on both topic, I can share their answer if you'd like. I am looking forward to the app, the bug is not a big deal, just a nuisance/annoyance. It proves that the data is not lost, just a display glitch.

Yes. Thanks.

Hello all!

New user here. I'm back into brewing after a long hiatus, thanks to the Pico. I've read this thread for hours, but I do have a few questions left...

1 - Back when Pico started, they said they would make smaller yeast pack. Was that ever done, or are people still pitching half of the same packs as before?

2 - What's the consensus on dry hopping? 5 days, after the fermentation?

3 - Any general advice on how to convert a regular 5 gallons recipe to a PicoPak recipe? I just divide each ingredients according to the new size, or is the ratio different for some ingredients (like hops)?

4 - I want to buy a bottling kit before my first batch is ready, but the one from Picobrew is back-order for 2 months (also, I'd rather have smaller bottles). What's the size of tube I should get for the siphon if I have the Pico C? I can't find that info anywhere... I know I could use anything, but I like the idea of hooking up on the Pico C keg directly.

5 - The PicoFerm is monitoring temp and pressure, but are those readings affecting the time before the beer is ready at all on BrewHouse? Right now, it mostly looks like it's following the recipe time and pitch time.

Thanks!

Hello all!

New user here. I'm back into brewing after a long hiatus, thanks to the Pico. I've read this thread for hours, but I do have a few questions left...

1 - Back when Pico started, they said they would make smaller yeast pack. Was that ever done, or are people still pitching half of the same packs as before?

2 - What's the consensus on dry hopping? 5 days, after the fermentation?

3 - Any general advice on how to convert a regular 5 gallons recipe to a PicoPak recipe? I just divide each ingredients according to the new size, or is the ratio different for some ingredients (like hops)?

4 - I want to buy a bottling kit before my first batch is ready, but the one from Picobrew is back-order for 2 months (also, I'd rather have smaller bottles). What's the size of tube I should get for the siphon if I have the Pico C? I can't find that info anywhere... I know I could use anything, but I like the idea of hooking up on the Pico C keg directly.

5 - The PicoFerm is monitoring temp and pressure, but are those readings affecting the time before the beer is ready at all on BrewHouse? Right now, it mostly looks like it's following the recipe time and pitch time.

Thanks!

Welcome, we are all the same here, Brewers in way shape or form. I also brewed for awhile then took a break due to time constraints. Now back to brewing due to PicoBrew.

1 - packets are still the same, we are pitching 1 teaspoon. The rest of the pack is thrown or used elsewhere.

2 - most are dry hopping in the keg, I have a drop hop screen hopper that I throw into my keg. Not the serving keg but a ball lock keg.

3 - splitting down from 5 gallon is hard but that is what home brewing is. Trial, error, test see if it is what you want. The freestyle crafter for PicoBrew is limited.

4 - there are several options for bottles on amazon. I have 12oz and 24oz flip top bottles. The auto siphon can be custom built to match your bottles, I use a 1gal auto siphon from my 1gal mead kit for both bottle sizes.

5 - A common misconception for the Pico ferm and the fast fermenter is it speeds up the fermentation process. It does not, you are better off following you normal fermentation schedule. Fast fermentation or pressure fermentation only allows for higher temps for fermentation without “much” off flavors.

I hope that this helps, if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Welcome to the community, there is a ton of knowledge here.

Agree with macguyver here. I would add that the only benefit of fast ferment i saw was lagers could ferment in my basement without cooling. Real convenient for me.
Also, I now quad brew... 4 batches of the same in a row. using a quarter of the yeast for each batch. 3 full packs of yeast I can use for my other recipes. And welcome to the forum. Share and ask. :cask:

Thanks for the info!

I've done my reading AFTER starting my first batch, so I used the whole pack of yeast. I hope it won't be off (it's seems to be ok sometimes, and bad other times when you use the whole pack, from what I've read).

For the siphon, I guess my goal was to use something to plug in the Pico C keg, like their bottling kit do, but it's true that a regular siphon would work, and the tubing size would be irrelevant to the Pico C keg...

I guess I'll add that to my buying list (along with a corny keg and adapters for serving the beers I want to drink right away).

You can always build a connection for the C keg, some tubing is really all it would take to fit the out post then run to bottle, if you want cut off use a bottle wand on bottle side. Or a pinch valve on tubing.

You can always build a connection for the C keg, some tubing is really all it would take to fit the out post then run to bottle, if you want cut off use a bottle wand on bottle side. Or a pinch valve on tubing.

Good idea, thanks!

I can send a picture of what mines look like. If you have a ball lock adapter, all you have to do is use the adapter with something like I built.
If not, then you need something to connect. I have not clue unfortunately what the Pico C kegs look like, never seen one and I am using the standard corny kegs.

@Lbarouf: I'd like that picture next time you bottle, yes. Thanks, it's appreciated.

I also have another question, for anyone interested in the nitty-gritty details of homebrewing.

I understand why we can wait overnight before pitching the yeast without risking contaminations: the Pico C is a closed loop, there's a long boiling process, and when we close the keg at the end, it's done while the wort is still hot, and hot air flowing up from the two holes probably won't let contaminant get in the keg. It's not a perfect system, but I'm pretty sure it's safe.

What I don't understand though is why the long cooling time isn't an issue for DMS creation. Is there a chemical process I'm not aware of? Is quick chilling the wort for DMS issues overrated? Do you chill your keg in an ice bath when doing lighter beers?

Anyone got an idea?

Latest posts

Back