PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy folks. New member but have been lurking recently. 7 years brewing experience with all grain but took a 10 year break. The Pico is getting me back in the game.

I recently purchased my Pico C from eBay for just $250 NEW! $250? I couldn’t believe it! With a Picopak thrown in. And it was a “buy now” offer that I could not pass up. I’m speculating it was a kickstarter version and the seller just had to get rid of it. I imagined there was a relationship break up and it was a revenge sale. Just speculation but makes for a good story.

I had to do a search for a solution for an “error” alert for my first batch so I found this thread. I was relieved that I was able to power off the unit and turn it back on to continue the mash. I’m so thankful for that function.

Anyway, I brewed my first batch of Imerial Vanilla Bourbon Porter by @Denny. It was in the OG pak but the top split and clogged the step filter. But thanks to you all I managed to make it through the mash without dumping out the whole session. And also how to unclog the step filter while cleaning which triggered the “error.”

Glad to be part of this fun and informative thread. Thanks for having me.

Ps. The new Z is very tantalizing.

Welcome Pete ! You're joining quite a few of us. I believe the Pico has attracted quite a few of us who let go of the hobby, but the simplicity of the pico got us to brew again. Especially the size. Please share more of your stories as they happen. That's what is great with this thread/community. Cheers!

I'm still on the fence on the Z. Tempted to pull the trigger on a Z3 or Z2 (I feel the Z3 is the best deal). I still don't have the space though....

Welcome Pete! Nice story even if you are speculating. I am in the same boat, did BIAB for a few years then got out due to time constraints. Found a Pico S on the shelf at my Costco. I got it for 300 out the door so not bad I don’t think. Been enjoying brewing every since. I wanted to upgrade and have been looking at the OGZ and read all about it. Then the Z came and I jumped. Price wise it was a no brained. A few hundred more and I can do 5gal batches. So yes I bought into a Z2 and now the waiting game occurs. If something else better happens to come along, I hear that Ss Brewtech has something brewing..., then I can cancel anytime. Otherwise I will be sticking with the Z.

There is a wealth of information here with the community and if you want the Facebook group. Enjoy!

Woot, Woot, I am one of the first 500 orders so I get special edition Z2 and the special edition keg cozy. At least that’s what the email says... now they want us to push the Z to everyone to get more off. Just wish I knew enough people that had disposable income... lol

Woot, Woot, I am one of the first 500 orders so I get special edition Z2 and the special edition keg cozy. At least that’s what the email says... now they want us to push the Z to everyone to get more off. Just wish I knew enough people that had disposable income... lol
Me too! LOL all my beer friends are kids, they'd love one but they don't have the money

I think the key will asking some members for a code before buying yourself.
I will add my code as well: KYTXK
I am fine with splitting my $100 with other members 50-50, let me know who you are and I will split the $100 when I receive it.

Thanks @Lbarouf and @macgyuver. All this Z release is exciting to read. The news of it blindsided me and my wallet seems to have a hole in it. So I have to reluctantly pass on such a great deal. But right now the Pico C is fine for me. If I want to make a bigger batch I’ll just get more involved with trying out BIAB since that was not a thing on my radar years ago.

Can’t wait read reports, see pics, and or YouTube vids of the new Z from you lucky folks.

Thanks @Lbarouf and @macgyuver. All this Z release is exciting to read. The news of it blindsided me and my wallet seems to have a hole in it. So I have to reluctantly pass on such a great deal. But right now the Pico C is fine for me. If I want to make a bigger batch I’ll just get more involved with trying out BIAB since that was not a thing on my radar years ago.

Can’t wait read reports, see pics, and or YouTube vids of the new Z from you lucky folks.
Your story sounds just like mine. You will love the Pico, it’s fun and creates awesome wort. Congrats!

Same here. I got into brewing with the Zymatic about a year ago. Not knowing about the Z, This Christmas I put together a eBIAB system I can new up to 10g with. While not all hands off it’s not much extra work and is actually faster due to being 240v. That said, I decided upgrade to the new Z1 for support, new recipe crafter, hopefully better durability and ease of cleaning the internals. It’s also very nice to load up on a Friday night have it start at 4am and chill and pitch after breakfast

$50 off code if looking KYT5W

Is it me, or the $99 5Gal kegs are not selectable anymore. Was it tue only promo?

Same here. I got into brewing with the Zymatic about a year ago. Not knowing about the Z, This Christmas I put together a eBIAB system I can new up to 10g with. While not all hands off it’s not much extra work and is actually faster due to being 240v. That said, I decided upgrade to the new Z1 for support, new recipe crafter, hopefully better durability and ease of cleaning the internals. It’s also very nice to load up on a Friday night have it start at 4am and chill and pitch after breakfast

$50 off code if looking KYT5W

Curious.... would you have not built the eBIAB would you have known this Z series was coming up? Are you trading in the Zymatic for the Z1 or adding the Z1 to the mix?

No, I think after using the zymatic I found I could make time to brew and wanted to be more involved in the process. I actually find cleanup is faster with this system than the zymatic and can take everything apart to clean. I worry the Z2 and higher will be a pain to clean 2-4 step filters, hoses heat exchangers etc. I also wanted to see if there was anything to the discussions around poor hop utilization with the zymatic vs kettle brewing since IPAs and PAs are my favorite. Last weekend I brewed a IPA on the eBIAB and a Irish Red on the zymatic. I will keep using the Z for trying new things I don’t want to commit 5-10gal to as well as those stretches I can’t commit 3.5- 4 hrs on a weekend for my eBIAB setup.

No, I think after using the zymatic I found I could make time to brew and wanted to be more involved in the process. I actually find cleanup is faster with this system than the zymatic and can take everything apart to clean. I worry the Z2 and higher will be a pain to clean 2-4 step filters, hoses heat exchangers etc. I also wanted to see if there was anything to the discussions around poor hop utilization with the zymatic vs kettle brewing since IPAs and PAs are my favorite. Last weekend I brewed a IPA on the eBIAB and a Irish Red on the zymatic. I will keep using the Z for trying new things I don’t want to commit 5-10gal to as well as those stretches I can’t commit 3.5- 4 hrs on a weekend for my eBIAB setup.

I hear you. Do you find that the Z does not extract as much flavor out of the hops as you would like? Are you using a RIMS or HERMS system if I may ask?

I hear you. Do you find that the Z does not extract as much flavor out of the hops as you would like? Are you using a RIMS or HERMS system if I may ask?

Well I find myself hopping at much higher quantities than what most of the public database recipes call for. I usually brew 3gal batches @ 1.50-1.60 or so and dry hop as well as keg hop to get the flavor and aroma I want in my PAs and IPAs. It’s quite possible I am just a hop head but I have seen forum discussions saying others have had the same experience and upped their additions. The good news is there is a solution....add more hops.
For the eBIAB I’m using a RIMS setup from highgravitybrewing. I got a SS Brewtech 15g kettle with a Blichmann Boilcoil and Riptide pump and the controller highgravity sells. I added a Jaded Cyclone CFC (actually bought their corny pillar IC for the Zymatic - pitch in 7min) and whirlpool arm and really digging the setup. I am packaging a Nelson IPA tonight and brewed a Simcoe / Idaho 7 IPA last weekend so I’ll be able to tell you if I notice a difference once I get the Nelson carbed up.

I posted this earlier to the wrong thread lol, anyway here it is again for anyone looking for a serving keg option... I found this at my local Walmart on clearance.
IMG_0495.jpg

Last edited:
Well I find myself hopping at much higher quantities than what most of the public database recipes call for. I usually brew 3gal batches @ 1.50-1.60 or so and dry hop as well as keg hop to get the flavor and aroma I want in my PAs and IPAs. It’s quite possible I am just a hop head but I have seen forum discussions saying others have had the same experience and upped their additions. The good news is there is a solution....add more hops.
For the eBIAB I’m using a RIMS setup from highgravitybrewing. I got a SS Brewtech 15g kettle with a Blichmann Boilcoil and Riptide pump and the controller highgravity sells. I added a Jaded Cyclone CFC (actually bought their corny pillar IC for the Zymatic - pitch in 7min) and whirlpool arm and really digging the setup. I am packaging a Nelson IPA tonight and brewed a Simcoe / Idaho 7 IPA last weekend so I’ll be able to tell you if I notice a difference once I get the Nelson carbed up.

Cool, thx. Yes, I would be curious to know.

Anyone knows if 3 batches could fit in a 5 gal corny for fermenting? Or the headspace is too low for all the krausen it will generate? I’d like to triple batch while avoiding to buy a conical fermenter.

Anyone knows if 3 batches could fit in a 5 gal corny for fermenting? Or the headspace is too low for all the krausen it will generate? I’d like to triple batch while avoiding to buy a conical fermenter.

My triple batches ferment just fine in a 5 gallon Corny. If all is measured out properly you should be around 4 1/2 gal

1gal 6 cups x 3 = 22 cups x 3
66 cups / 1 gal = 66 cups / 16 cups

4.125 gal

Some of the more aggressive batches that I add a couple cups to will give very little blow off. Use some fermcap-S if you are worried but I don’t think you have to.

My triple batches ferment just fine in a 5 gallon Corny. If all is measured out properly you should be around 4 1/2 gal

1gal 6 cups x 3 = 22 cups x 3
66 cups / 1 gal = 66 cups / 16 cups

4.125 gal

Some of the more aggressive batches that I add a couple cups to will give very little blow off. Use some fermcap-S if you are worried but I don’t think you have to.

Thanks for this. When looking at SS and Anvil, I find their 7 or so Gal conicals can fit in my beer fridge. This should work well for 4 batches. I prefer 4 as I buy my paks in packs of 4 to optimize shipping and 6 gals means I fill 2 of my 3gal kegs. A brew week-end would mean 2 different beers, but 12 gal. I can get away with it since I would not need to brew as often like this. Otherwise, a 5 gal for triple batches, but it won't fit in the fridge, so cold crashing will mean splitting my batch before racking.... far from ideal.

Found more of the keg coolers at another Walmart

View attachment 558492

If only the darn things were not so much a pain in the neck. That's what I was thinking when I originally backed the campaign. The ones I saw were a different brand, but pretty much the same. I changed tune once I started using them. :-/
Plus, the cooling is via a peltier heatseak. I don't believe they cool the beer that much on a warm day. Then again, I never bought one...

Have tilts ever been on sale?
Anyone here ever tried either of the following: naturally carbonating the beer in keg, or age their batches in oak casks (or any other wood essence)?

Finally got around to tapping my Dead Guy. This one was done with a half pack of yeast. Naturally carbonated with DME. It is absolutely fantastic. The natural carb sets up such a nice creamy head. I had forgotten how good natural carb is after force carving for so long. The "weirdness" is barely there in this batch at all. It's very close to the real thing

Do you believe the DME had a positive impact on the taste vs the .... euh, is this sucrose in those packs?!?...dextrose or whatever they provide?

I am planning on using a complete pouch of dry yeast on a quad batch of brewing, in a 7 gal fermenter, this should be sufficient yeast? Headspace in the fermenter is enough? I guesstimate using 6gal out of the 7 gal capacity.

Also anyone have some tips on using the serving keg with Pico's co2 regulator and there c02 cartridges? I can't find any instructions on Pico's site. I would like to force carb on this batch. I bought it before I knew it was not great due to the serving keg.. but I might as well use it snice I have it

I am planning on using a complete pouch of dry yeast on a quad batch of brewing, in a 7 gal fermenter, this should be sufficient yeast? Headspace in the fermenter is enough? I guesstimate using 6gal out of the 7 gal capacity.

I’ve never seen tilts on sale.

1 pouch yeast is plenty. I would use fermcap just Incase, or keep an eye on it.

Any issue in deep cleaning the pico after 4 batches instead of 3? I'm wondering if I could do so when brewing 4 identical paks back to back to save a bit of time. I would still do the after brew rinse.

Any issue in deep cleaning the pico after 4 batches instead of 3? I'm wondering if I could do so when brewing 4 identical paks back to back to save a bit of time. I would still do the after brew rinse.

As long as it is back to back runs I don’t see an issue. The wort doesn’t have time to gunk up the machine. I run triple batches and rinse between and deep clean afterwards.

I deep clean every two. Pico says to deep clean after a back to back, not every three if doing two same day.

I have been doing brew 1st, rinse, brew 2nd, rinse, brew 3rd, deep clean. I have not noticed any difference in the deep clean after three or two when running back to back brews.

Got you. Ok thank guys. I have yet not seen any gunk at all, nor blown paks so far. And I typically rinse immediately after the brews and deep clean after 3. But now that I am planning on quad batches, I did not think it would bad but in case there was something I missed. The last thing I want is a broken machine.

Oxygen, carbonation and racking.

Is it that bad to expose your fermented beer to oxygen? if so, what is the best solution to ferment and rack 6 gal of beer? I had been using all those years a siphon to go from one vessel to another and an enolmatic to fill my bottles. I didn't see any issues. Today, I move the fermented beer to the clean keg using CO2 after purging it. IT works, but that only 1 batch at a time.

What are the best options for scaling to 4 batches at a time? The fermenter I was looking at, provides only a spigot to transfer the beer to kegs for carbonation. Is that exposure that bad? I see a pretty big benefit to using a fermenter instead of a keg, and feel like the benefit may outweigh the short exposure to air. Am i wrong?

Thanks for anyone and everyone's take on it.

I have transferred to my conical with gravity siphon as well as from conical to keg. As long as you are not splashing the fermented wort around I don’t think you have much to worry about.
I’m planning to do exactly that (Pico c) but in a translucent conical so I can observe the action. I’m not fond of guessing as to what’s going on. Maybe I’m old fashioned but I like watching the yesti beasties do their work. I’ve only fermented once in SS but more inclined to visually monitor the beer. The plus is doing the back to back batches as most of you have mentioned. Happy brewing all!

I have a conundrum. I have the Pico S and I am getting ready to rack my beer into a serving keg to naturally carbonate.
I have watched the videos for both the S and the Pro and have read the instructions for both the S and the Pro.
They both mention connecting the gray keg connector and clearing the line until the liquid stops flowing. What liquid? Where is the liquid coming from?
Should I add water to the reservoir or to the step filter or both? And if so, how much?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Pete

I have a conundrum. I have the Pico S and I am getting ready to rack my beer into a serving keg to naturally carbonate.
I have watched the videos for both the S and the Pro and have read the instructions for both the S and the Pro.
They both mention connecting the gray keg connector and clearing the line until the liquid stops flowing. What liquid? Where is the liquid coming from?
Should I add water to the reservoir or to the step filter or both? And if so, how much?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Pete

This is a precautionary task to make sure there is no water left in the line. There is a small chance that after a rinse there can be some water left behind. Do not add anything to your Step filter or reservoir. If you do this will introduce more chance for water to be introduced into your beer which you do not want. You are simply using the pump to move air to push the beer from one vessel to another.

Back