PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what's the big new thing they are coming out with? Someone here must have the scoop? I need to know how much money I need to set aside... darn tractors needed a lot of repairs this winter and now I found out today that my little truck needs about 1200 bucks in tires. Mind you it's not a normal little truck. But with 19's on the front and 20's on the back it runs into money. But I will leave the truck sit with bad tires if it's something really really good! :D

General ideas is the new bigger unit, Z’s bigger brother, that is aimed at pubs to do craft brewing in house. Have seen where it is predicted to be able to do 5-15 gallon batches. I have been on the fence on wether to buy a Z or wait. Hopefully I won’t have to wait anymore and my mind will be made up Tuesday. Just hope if it is that it won’t hurt my pocket to bad. I feel your pain on tires, I just bought some for my truck, 22” all around...

So I just learned of whirlfloc for clarifying. I used to use Irish moss years ago. Are any of you adding any kind of clarifying additive? If so what, and at what point in the process? I know with some beer styles you don't want to do this.

Last edited:
So I just learned of whirlfloc for clarifying. I used to use Irish moss years ago. Are any of you adding any kind of clarifying additive? If so what, and at what point in the process? I know with some beer styles you don't want to do this.
I don’t find a need for it or mess with it. My beers clear up great with a good cold crash and slow carb. If your in a hurry I would use an after brew clarifier like gelatin or biofine.

Hummm 1-10 gallons officially!
My wallet is hurting as well damn it.

General ideas is the new bigger unit, Z’s bigger brother, that is aimed at pubs to do craft brewing in house. Have seen where it is predicted to be able to do 5-15 gallon batches. I have been on the fence on wether to buy a Z or wait. Hopefully I won’t have to wait anymore and my mind will be made up Tuesday. Just hope if it is that it won’t hurt my pocket to bad. I feel your pain on tires, I just bought some for my truck, 22” all around...

Machines*

I would guess at least 2 sizes, 1-5 gallons and 5-10 gallons etc.

did you see a price? I couldn't find one... but I signed up. What the heck it's only money!
I think you're spot on! They mention a series, a 1-10 would be amazing but I am sure very $$$$. A 1-5 would be perfect for me and help me justify keeping my 10 gallon setup for occasional beers as well!

I find the range interesting. 1 to 10.... it’s flexible, i’m Just surprised by the 1 gal start point. Will it brew either, packs or loose grains? That would be a sweet deal for me. Now add the ability to distill 1 gal at a time and it’s sold.

My guess is 1-5, 120V system. 5-10, 240V system. $4.5k and $6k (MSRP) respectively, so half that for the launch. Some sort of chilling loop built in, and all the software features Z users ever requested.

This is pure speculation.

I find the range interesting. 1 to 10.... it’s flexible, i’m Just surprised by the 1 gal start point. Will it brew either, packs or loose grains? That would be a sweet deal for me. Now add the ability to distill 1 gal at a time and it’s sold.
I really doubt the range is that big on one machine. Look at the language of the email, “Z series” “brewing appliance line”. It will be multiple machines across that span. 5-10 gallons will definitely need 220v. No packs in the Z series, this is aimed at “pros”. Healthy price point near or over $5k msrp for the big one, $3k for the small one. Educated speculations lol.

I'm guessing they're trying to capture some of of the pico C/S crowd. Being able to re-use the 1.75 gallon kegs is a major selling point for me. It will be interesting to see the price point.

I really doubt the range is that big on one machine. Look at the language of the email, “Z series” “brewing appliance line”. It will be multiple machines across that span. 5-10 gallons will definitely need 220v. No packs in the Z series, this is aimed at “pros”. Healthy price point near or over $5k msrp for the big one, $3k for the small one. Educated speculations lol.

I hope your educated speculations are correct. 50% off the 3K price is doable. I read an article (search Z Series) that speculated < 10K.

It would be nice if they could get their act together and ship paks within two weeks of ordering. The cheerleaders seem to get their paks overnight (sarcasm) despite the crappy execution, where they continue to offer discounted paks without being able to timely fulfill orders, I love my z and will likely order this new product and get rid of my 10 gallon set up.

Hummm yeah, good point. How likely that the smaller will have the ability to brew both, paks and loose ingredients?

Hummm yeah, good point. How likely that the smaller will have the ability to brew both, paks and loose ingredients?
Very unlikely. This is aimed at the “prosumer” and commercial settings.

50% off $3k at launch would make it cheaper than the current Z, which is why I went a bit higher. Think they're axing the current Z with fixed 2.5 gallon capacity in favor of this? Maybe the lineup is replacing it with a 1-3 gallon, 3-6 gallon and 5-10 gallon. Either way I'd write off any hopes for more firmware updates on the current Z.

Also, custom kegs for the line up or Sankey? Or consumers choice, threaded fittings to ball lock, Sankey, or other.

Well, looks like you were on to something. They released a picture today with a Pico pack in the new Z. It looks pretty silly! It looks like 2.5 gallon packs will be a reality one day. This really leads me to believe there will be a large and small model priced very different.

Well, looks like you were on to something. They released a picture today with a Pico pack in the new Z. It looks pretty silly! It looks like 2.5 gallon packs will be a reality one day. This really leads me to believe there will be a large and small model priced very different.

They said modular, so guessing multiple step filters is a given. Definitely on the multiple models train though. Guessing one is 1-5 (1-3?) gallons, other is 5-10.

Looks like two different size step filters, one for the packs and one for??? A Zymatic gone pico? I could run two... run one when the brew unlimited packs finally arrive and experiment with the other. I was planning on having a whole stock of beer done by lambing time but it's not going to happen. Got to brew another pack tomorrow and then put in a new order, but if it takes another month to get my packs I will just get them brewed before lambing. That's not enough beer!

Everyone so far is leaning toward modular setups. You can have a step filter for paks, one for 1-3/5gal, one for 5-10gal. All working with the same head unit. Or that’s what I have been reading all over the interwebs.

While we're all waiting for the big reveal, I have another question. I purchased one of the original Picos during the kickstarter a couple years ago. I've outgrown it (2-3 weeks is a long-arse time to wait for 1.25 gallons of beer) and I'm considering selling it. It's in excellent condition and I've also got 3 corny kegs with it. What would be a fair price to ask for this?

While we're all waiting for the big reveal, I have another question. I purchased one of the original Picos during the kickstarter a couple years ago. I've outgrown it (2-3 weeks is a long-arse time to wait for 1.25 gallons of beer) and I'm considering selling it. It's in excellent condition and I've also got 3 corny kegs with it. What would be a fair price to ask for this?

I would wait and see what they do, there is a trade-in for Zs, there may be a trade in for Pico as well. Never know till they say it is so or not. On Facebook group Doug has said there are several ideas for discounts and opportunities but we will have to wait for the announcement.

Hummm those look like 2 or 3 U rack mounted units oddly enough and side by side. Maybe indeed one of the variants would allow brewing if paks and/or of loose grains. I would be very interested in such. Makes sense when developing and testing paks. At least to me it does.

Ah.... building suspense.

T
no way to do a link in the email I got with a photo just showing the top part of the new machine and a peek of what's below it barely showing the top edge of the stepfilter...
the newer version of this teaser has more to it. It now shows 2 machines side by side and step filters with a Pico pak as well as the Z step filter. Refresh the page?

The Rack Mount look as been picked up on and some are saying maybe there will be a head unit, the top, to run the controls and you buy expansion rings to extend the capabilities. So you can start out with the head unit, bottom and one ring to do Pico paks, then extend the rings to do 1-10gal step filters. Sounds feasible in theory, makes production easy as well. All bottoms and head units will work with all expansion rings/modules.

The Rack Mount look as been picked up on and some are saying maybe there will be a head unit, the top, to run the controls and you buy expansion rings to extend the capabilities. So you can start out with the head unit, bottom and one ring to do Pico paks, then extend the rings to do 1-10gal step filters. Sounds feasible in theory, makes production easy as well. All bottoms and head units will work with all expansion rings/modules.
Perfect addition to any server room! ;)

I would wait and see what they do, there is a trade-in for Zs, there may be a trade in for Pico as well. Never know till they say it is so or not. On Facebook group Doug has said there are several ideas for discounts and opportunities but we will have to wait for the announcement.
Sorry, I guess my question was vague (ha!). I've already invested in a BIAB setup and can do 5 gallon batches, so I'm really just pondering selling my Pico outright. Not really so interested in trading it for one of their new contraptions...unless the price is reeeeeeeeeeally good, and I know it won't be. So, I'm just wondering what would be a fair price to ask for my Pico setup.

Couple of updates:

1)By far the beer I have had the most success with is Flying Monkey’s Netherworld. As it turns out this beer is local to me so I’ve been able to compare it to the actual beer. It tastes pretty different to the real beer, the real beer tastes more like a dark mild and the Pico tastes like a proper black IPA. In other words, I prefer the Pico version :)

Has anyone else compared the Pico version to the real deal of any Pak? Have you found any that match closely? I’m brewing the Coronado stingray pak next and I have some bottles to compare that to as well.

2)I’m also going to brew a Pilsner next - specifically a Freestyle IPL type recipe - and I’ve been reading about Lagering. What are best practices for a Pico lager? Specifically:

- how much yeast? (Lager typically needs more?)

- how long to ferment?

- how long to age in fridge?

- should I try to soften the water for a better Pilsner profile?

Sorry, I guess my question was vague (ha!). I've already invested in a BIAB setup and can do 5 gallon batches, so I'm really just pondering selling my Pico outright. Not really so interested in trading it for one of their new contraptions...unless the price is reeeeeeeeeeally good, and I know it won't be. So, I'm just wondering what would be a fair price to ask for my Pico setup.

I got my Pico S in an unopened box for $400 and I thought it was a steal!

Couple of updates:

1)By far the beer I have had the most success with is Flying Monkey’s Netherworld. As it turns out this beer is local to me so I’ve been able to compare it to the actual beer. It tastes pretty different to the real beer, the real beer tastes more like a dark mild and the Pico tastes like a proper black IPA. In other words, I prefer the Pico version :)

Has anyone else compared the Pico version to the real deal of any Pak? Have you found any that match closely? I’m brewing the Coronado stingray pak next and I have some bottles to compare that to as well.

2)I’m also going to brew a Pilsner next - specifically a Freestyle IPL type recipe - and I’ve been reading about Lagering. What are best practices for a Pico lager? Specifically:

- how much yeast? (Lager typically needs more?)

- how long to ferment?

- how long to age in fridge?

- should I try to soften the water for a better Pilsner profile?
1 tsp of yeast is plenty, the lager yeast they include works well.

Ferment 2 weeks

Lagering in the fridge for about a month is common. I’ve skipped the step with great results, up to you.

You need to use distilled water for all Pico packs. Mineral additions are added to the pack specific to the style.

Back