PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its weird that it doesn't seem to impact some posters. They seem to get their order within 3 days at least thats what they post. I have yet to have an order arrive in less than two weeks.
I wonder if it's just the brew unlimited orders?! One of the gift packs has already shipped and will be here on Friday. The January 2nd brew unlimited order still hasn't shipped. Brew Free or Die IPA and Stingray IPA, seems like they should have shipped by now, they aren't real new beers.

I wonder if it's just the brew unlimited orders?! One of the gift packs has already shipped and will be here on Friday. The January 2nd brew unlimited order still hasn't shipped. Brew Free or Die IPA and Stingray IPA, seems like they should have shipped by now, they aren't real new beers.
i feel your pain.

So trying to brew my 4th Picopak I get this Error "Securely attach hoses to keg posts, and continue. Otherwise select exit and contact support".

Nothing I did could get rid of the message and there is no phone number to call support. My Picobrew just turn 1 Year Old, has anyone had this problem before?

If it sat a long time without getting used you may need to prime the pump, send support an email [email protected]

The other causes could be keg posts on backwards, the post with notches are the In side and gray ball lock. Also make sure the inline filter cap is on tight and the red gasket inside is not torn or missing. Also make sure the step filter is pushed in all tbe way and seated well.

If it sat a long time without getting used you may need to prime the pump, send support an email [email protected]

The other causes could be keg posts on backwards, the post with notches are the In side and gray ball lock. Also make sure the inline filter cap is on tight and the red gasket inside is not torn or missing. Also make sure the step filter is pushed in all tbe way and seated well.

Thank you for the reply, how do I prime the pump?

Hey Moonkey,

I feel the pain and understand the anguish. They will make things right, and help you. Not being able to call them is my pet peeve as well. But, please be patient and write to them to help you fix the issue, before you try things that could damage the unit.

Mine had sat for at least 2-3 months when I could not brew. I have not seen this message yet. Whatever it is, they can take you through steps, or worst case, to send the machine.

So unfortunately, don't rush. Contact them and wait. I know this means not brewing. But, you can always grab a cold one that someone else brewed for you! ;-)

Resist the temptation of doing something irreversible.

In the meantime, have you checked that the ball lock connectors or both the machine and keg are clean? Maybe let them soak in warm water a bit, before trying again.

Hope you get this resolved soon.

Sorry you need to let support diagnose your problem and give you the go ahead to open up the unit. Send them an email to address I gave you and they will get you fixed.

Sorry you need to let support diagnose your problem and give you the go ahead to open up the unit. Send them an email to address I gave you and they will get you fixed.

Personally I use the website to create the tickets, based on the categories they have. Sending to info should work just as well. Not sure if they route based on type of issue. If so, maybe it's faster when using the website?

But I agree, not to open the box unless asked to.

Actually it is better to send directly to that address I provided.

I'll try with the next ticket. In my case so far, questions have been answered within 4hrs on average, I can't complain about that at all. Then again, they have been fairly simple questions too.

I’ve never waited more than 30 minutes, even on weekends. Also simple questions though. They have some dead links and addresses on the website, any communication you have with them should go to info@ and it gets routed accordingly.

Hummm ok. It's never been urgent so far, but good to know. And simpler. Thx.

Personally I use the website to create the tickets, based on the categories they have. Sending to info should work just as well. Not sure if they route based on type of issue. If so, maybe it's faster when using the website?

But I agree, not to open the box unless asked to.

The email works, this is the reply from PicoBrew.

1. Make sure that your step filter is draining correctly. There should be no more than an inch of liquid in your step filter at any time.
  2. Make sure that you started with 1 gallon + 6 cups of water in your brewing keg.
  3. Check to make sure that your ball lock fittings are securely attached to the keg posts. If you are having trouble connecting the keg posts, check to make sure that they are oriented correctly on the keg with the notched post on the "IN" position with the short dip tube.
And 1. is the problem as water collects in the step filter, any suggestion no make sure it drains correctly?

The email works, this is the reply from PicoBrew.

1. Make sure that your step filter is draining correctly. There should be no more than an inch of liquid in your step filter at any time.
  2. Make sure that you started with 1 gallon + 6 cups of water in your brewing keg.
  3. Check to make sure that your ball lock fittings are securely attached to the keg posts. If you are having trouble connecting the keg posts, check to make sure that they are oriented correctly on the keg with the notched post on the "IN" position with the short dip tube.
And 1. is the problem as water collects in the step filter, any suggestion no make sure it drains correctly?

Check the bulkhead valve on back bottom of the step filter. Press it in and check if you have gunk clogging it up, it’s spring loaded. You can remove the oring to disassemble if it’s very dirty, or press in and shoot with a blast of water is what I do after every brew.

I am sorry, I thought you were referring to the C keg that you use to brew with not the actual serving keg. Using the included serving keg to serve and try to dry hop with is a major pain. I tried them a few times and hated the experience. I quickly upgraded to the ball lock kegs and have enjoyed it ever since. I now run 5g kegs for triple brews, 3g kegs for doubles and the 1.75 Pico pro kegs for single brews. Use the linked hop carrier to dry hop in all of them as needed.

So today I went to add my dry hops (day 10) and there was quite a bit of foam still. I've read this can be due to fermenting under pressure and not necesarrily mean that it's still active fermentation. My question is will this foam affect the dry hop? I sanitized a spoon and pushed them down but of course they came right back ha.

So today I went to add my dry hops (day 10) and there was quite a bit of foam still. I've read this can be due to fermenting under pressure and not necesarrily mean that it's still active fermentation. My question is will this foam affect the dry hop? I sanitized a spoon and pushed them down but of course they came right back ha.

That will not be an issue, once the paks get saturated they will sink to the bottom. I use a dry hop hopper to keep all the paks together and to not clog the pickup tub. I also dry hop once I start to cold crash and leave the hopper in until the keg kicks.

As for the error with the keg fittings, I agree contact customer support and they will do everything they can to help. They are top notch on support. I had an issue similar before and it was the pump that pulled from the keg. It ended up being a loose terminal connector on the motor itself. Easy fix once it was diagnosed.

Check the bulkhead valve on back bottom of the step filter. Press it in and check if you have gunk clogging it up, it’s spring loaded. You can remove the oring to disassemble if it’s very dirty, or press in and shoot with a blast of water is what I do after every brew.

The valve in the back of the Step Filter was actually as clean as new, will update when I hear back from Support, unfortunately I have only managed to brew one Picopak successfully.

They will definitely float if there is still fermention going on, the turbulence forces them to the top and they will sit on top of the krausen. After 10 days you should be fine, they will keep floating on that foam longer than you would think though. That’s one of the reasons dry hopping in the serving keg is the best option, if you do the fermenter go longer than the manual says.

The valve in the back of the Step Filter was actually as clean as new, will update when I hear back from Support, unfortunately I have only managed to brew one Picopak successfully.
Bummer. You probably have a hardware problem then. Support will make it right.

As for the error with the keg fittings, I agree contact customer support and they will do everything they can to help. They are top notch on support. I had an issue similar before and it was the pump that pulled from the keg. It ended up being a loose terminal connector on the motor itself. Easy fix once it was diagnosed.

Sounds like something to that effect or even an issue with the lines. Although one e-mail a day from Support is frustrating.

That will not be an issue, once the paks get saturated they will sink to the bottom. I use a dry hop hopper to keep all the paks together and to not clog the pickup tub. I also dry hop once I start to cold crash and leave the hopper in until the keg kicks.

Thank you ! I'm going to get a ball lock keg so I can dry hop in the keg in the future. If it doesn't have the aroma I'm looking for I think I have spare citra hops in the freezer that I will put in the serving keg as well as this will probably be the last time I use
it.

They will definitely float if there is still fermention going on, the turbulence forces them to the top and they will sit on top of the krausen. After 10 days you should be fine, they will keep floating on that foam longer than you would think though. That’s one of the reasons dry hopping in the serving keg is the best option, if you do the fermenter go longer than the manual says.

Thanks for your reply ! I plan to leave them at least till Sunday then cold crash before transfer so that will be close to a week. Was I correct that the foam is from fermenting under pressure and isn't the Krausenn layer?

Thanks for your reply ! I plan to leave them at least till Sunday then cold crash before transfer so that will be close to a week. Was I correct that the foam is from fermenting under pressure and isn't the Krausenn layer?
It’s impossible to know visually. Fermenting under pressure will always cause the foam whether fermentation is active or not. If it is still active it’s hard to distinguish if there is krausen still or not. 10 days is fine to start dry hopping on your planned schedule.

It’s impossible to know visually. Fermenting under pressure will always cause the foam whether fermentation is active or not. If it is still active it’s hard to distinguish if there is krausen still or not. 10 days is fine to start dry hopping on your planned schedule.

That makes sense. Thanks again. I'm sure it will turn out fine. If not I'll do it different next batch ha!

That makes sense. Thanks again. I'm sure it will turn out fine. If not I'll do it different next batch ha!
Get that ball lock keg and enjoy your Pico so much more. Dry hop in it and your IPAs will be immensely better.

Bummer. You probably have a hardware problem then. Support will make it right.

Thanks JRB, still waiting to hear back, this getting one e-mail a day from them is far from great service. Now moving on and I am sure it has been asked before, what is a good Kegerator to use with the small Kegs?

Thanks JRB, still waiting to hear back, this getting one e-mail a day from them is far from great service. Now moving on and I am sure it has been asked before, what is a good Kegerator to use with the small Kegs?

I use a small dorm fridge that my son had when he went to college. 3.5 cft I think is the one I have. I can stack several Small kegs in it at the same time. Use heating wraps and InkBird controllers to keep temps right where I want them. Once fermentation is done I transfer them to my RedBull cooler I have. Same as the cooler in the grocery stores at the check out counter. Working on installing 4 taps and handles on the side. Currently have one installed.
2013-01-27 23.18.57.jpg

I use a small dorm fridge that my son had when he went to college. 3.5 cft I think is the one I have. I can stack several Small kegs in it at the same time. Use heating wraps and InkBird controllers to keep temps right where I want them. Once fermentation is done I transfer them to my RedBull cooler I have. Same as the cooler in the grocery stores at the check out counter. Working on installing 4 taps and handles on the side. Currently have one installed. View attachment 554945

Thanks, I was actually looking at the built in models like the Summit SBC677BITWIN

Any kegerator will work, get one with a shelf. The nice thing about the Pico sized kegs is you can stack them 2 layers. I usually have 5 in mine.

New user, new topic, new piece of Pico equipment: PicoFerm. I've been enjoying my Model C and have had virtually no issues through my first half-dozen+ brews; nice machine and perfect for NYC apartment brewing. I do, however, have a problem getting my recently-received "PicoFerm" to operate properly, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it. (I have tried to reach out to Pico customer service but they have gone strangely [disturbingly] dark with no reply for two days.)

My specific problem seems to relate to getting it properly registered through the connection process.

I'm happy to post more details about my specific issues but I first want to see if anyone in the group has yet experienced the PicoFerm. Anyone?

New user, new topic, new piece of Pico equipment: PicoFerm. I've been enjoying my Model C and have had virtually no issues through my first half-dozen+ brews; nice machine and perfect for NYC apartment brewing. I do, however, have a problem getting my recently-received "PicoFerm" to operate properly, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it. (I have tried to reach out to Pico customer service but they have gone strangely [disturbingly] dark with no reply for two days.)

My specific problem seems to relate to getting it properly registered through the connection process.

I'm happy to post more details about my specific issues but I first want to see if anyone in the group has yet experienced the PicoFerm. Anyone?

I struggled with this as well. But after watching the video on the PicoFerm support page, I discovered what I think I was doing wrong. I use a windows machine with firefox so your situation might be different. People seem to have better success with laptop rather than a mobile device for registration.

1. Do a factory reset by holding the button until alll the lights go off, it can take 20-30 seconds. Wait until all three lights come back on after releasing the button.
2. Go to the setup web address in the instructions and follow the instructions there.
3. Connect the PicoFerm in your wireless connection. Uncheck the connect automatically button and answer no to the next question about discoverable or something. At this point, you may or may not need to enter the password PicoFerm12! (Case sensitive). Then go back to the webpage and click the click here text.
4. On the next page type in the name of your wireless network and the password and hit the submit button.
5. The PicoFerm should have a green light the starts blinking from the three that were lit before. Do not wait for anything happen on the screen. Go immediately to your wireless connections and reconnect to your network.

At this point, the equipment registration page came up and I was able to complete the registration.

I might have been lucky but this worked your results may vary.

Last edited:

Sad to see companies removing their phone numbers and only doing email communication, You would think spending $1,000+ on a product would at least buy you 10-30 minutes of phone support. Sure use a contact form on the website but pick up a damn phone sometimes!
Spending time typing, getting PARTIAL answers days later, back and forth is frustrating beyond belief.

Dr safety gave you great info. It registered fine on my iPhone but many people seem to need to use an alternate browser, or use a pc rather than mobile device. The video will walk you through the steps.

So what's the big new thing they are coming out with? Someone here must have the scoop? I need to know how much money I need to set aside... darn tractors needed a lot of repairs this winter and now I found out today that my little truck needs about 1200 bucks in tires. Mind you it's not a normal little truck. But with 19's on the front and 20's on the back it runs into money. But I will leave the truck sit with bad tires if it's something really really good! :D

On a bright note, I plugged a speaker into the same surge guard as the pico last weekend. Did a brew this morning which popped a breaker with about a half an hour left in the brew. Assuming I'd have to toss the brew, I reset the breaker and turned the machine on. The screen read: "Brew interrupted, would you like to continue?". Hit yes and it started right where it left off. Wasn't aware it had that capability but sure glad it did.

Back