PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna kill this keg tonight it's so good. I'm brewing Kermode right now. Will do the tsp of yeast in this one. I'm going to go natural carb in the keg from now on though. I'll still disp. With CO2 but this Dead Guy just reminded me of why carb with DME is so damn good. The mouthfeel on this beer is insanely good

Pelikan - out of ~30 Pico batches so far kermode has been my favorite, followed closely by stingray, dead guy, half squeezed, and belle of the ball. Hope yours comes out as good as mine did :)

So anyone have any advice on using these serving kegs. I'm hitting my corny keg limit and still want to do a few more batches to take on the road next month to a golf trip. The only time I've tried using one I could not get a decent pour because it either shot out at light speed or trickled. Any suggestions would be great

Also has anyone tried dry hopping in the mini serving keg?

How would you get the hops into the mini serving keg? And, more importantly, how would you get them out?

I think you could fit the packets through the hole. Out maybe use a long Hemostat to grab and pull ou

My serving keg is still in the box sorry. Is the opening really that small? Once the hops are wet they turn to mush. If you can get a finger on a hop sack shouldn't be a problem to pull it out. There are many different sized hop sacks buy the smallest one.

Deaf Turtle is fine this time. Last batch I dumped because it was so astringent. There is no astringency to this batch at all. So something was wrong with the grains in that pack.

I still have a weird very slight after taste and I am beginning to think it's the hops because Dead Guy didn't have it that I remember. Stingray is cold crashing with the hops. It's my first brew with the Tilt.

Going to brew Dead Guy again next when my Tilt is available.

Deaf Turtle is fine this time. Last batch I dumped because it was so astringent. There is no astringency to this batch at all. So something was wrong with the grains in that pack.

I still have a weird very slight after taste and I am beginning to think it's the hops because Dead Guy didn't have it that I remember. Stingray is cold crashing with the hops. It's my first brew with the Tilt.

Going to brew Dead Guy again next when my Tilt is available.

No offense, but are you sure it was astringency? That's one of the most misdiagnosed flaws I see.

No offense, but are you sure it was astringency? That's one of the most misdiagnosed flaws I see.

Ever bite an unripe persimmon? It wasn't quite that bad, but it was real close. Sucked the moisture right out of my mouth! That's what I call astringent, is astringent something else?

Anyone know the guys at Tilt. I need to be able to ask Alexa for the reading when I am getting my weather report for the day. Wouldn't that be nice. :D

That would be pretty cool lol. Love the tilt gonna pick a second one up soon.

Welcome! Couple beginners tips, only pitch 1 tsp of yeast, no more. And ferment twice as long as the instructions tell you to. Good luck with your first brew!
ferment twice?
pitch 1 tsp of yeast and pitch again after 1 week?

ferment twice?
pitch 1 tsp of yeast and pitch again after 1 week?

Sorry should of took more time to explain better. Exactly what Wally said. The manual says pitch the entire packet of yeast, pitch one tsp, which is about 1/4 packet. The manual tells you to ferment 4-5 days fast method, 5-6 days standard. Just go 10 days either method you use.

Sorry should of took more time to explain better. Exactly what Wally said. The manual says pitch the entire packet of yeast, pitch one tsp, which is about 1/4 packet. The manual tells you to ferment 4-5 days fast method, 5-6 days standard. Just go 10 days either method you use.
thanks for reply.
So 1 tsp yeast is enough to ferment ?
and ferment 10 days is better ?

thanks for reply.
So 1 tsp yeast is enough to ferment ?
and ferment 10 days is better ?

Yes and yes. The package of yeast they give you is the quantity needed for 5 gallons. 10 days will guarantee your fermentation has completed.

i don't like serving keg and want to use keg , how to buy keg accessories (ball lock connector and others ...) ?

i don't like serving keg and want to use keg , how to buy keg accessories (ball lock connector and others ...) ?

There are so many options. What is it you want to do? Serve from a refrigerator? A kegerator? A dedicated beer fridge? Mini fridge?

There are so many options. What is it you want to do? Serve from a refrigerator? A kegerator? A dedicated beer fridge? Mini fridge?

What is this called?

Capture.JPG

This might be a dumb question but I want to confirm before I proceed: I can use the FF adapter but still ferment at standard temps and for the standard time, correct?

What is this called?

That is a ball lock mini regulator and a ball lock faucet. I converted my regulator included with the pico to ball lock like that one. And bought a faucet like that. I use it to take a keg to a party or buddies house. Works fine. I will caution a faucet like that foams a lot, you have to move the pressure way down when serving. Annoying. I will use a picnic tap with long beer line to fix the foam problem from now on.

Tapped half squeezed last night, what a great beer! The aroma is amazing, smells like a glass of grapefruit/orange juice. So good. This pack had the new hop pouchs. Fermentation took 8.5 days, FF at 74'. Let it go about 12 days, then added the dry hops and cold crashed for about 5 days while dry hopping. Racked to kegerator and slow carbed 5 days. Soooo good. I did use half a vial of wlp001 on this one.

Tapped the Pliny tonight. This one I let ferment for a long time - 17 days. May not have needed it but what the heck.

Anyways, I'm even happier with this one than the last one. The extra malt and complexity nicely masks any objectionable yeast flavor.

Good stuff! Half Squeezed will be my next batch.

Tapped the Pliny tonight. This one I let ferment for a long time - 17 days. May not have needed it but what the heck.

Anyways, I'm even happier with this one than the last one. The extra malt and complexity nicely masks any objectionable yeast flavor.

Good stuff! Half Squeezed will be my next batch.

That's great. I really respect Pliny as a great DIPA, but half squeezed is more up my alley. Will be brewing this one over and over. My Pliny took 11.5 days to complete fermentation so two weeks would be the minimum time I would recommend if not monitoring. I have so many Pico packs I want to try but want more deadguy and half squeezed so bad, decisions! A good problem to have.

Tapped half squeezed last night, what a great beer! The aroma is amazing, smells like a glass of grapefruit/orange juice. So good. This pack had the new hop pouchs. Fermentation took 8.5 days, FF at 74'. Let it go about 12 days, then added the dry hops and cold crashed for about 5 days while dry hopping. Racked to kegerator and slow carbed 5 days. Soooo good. I did use half a vial of wlp001 on this one.
Goood !
I has orderd this picopak and will get maybe next Monday .
:mug:

That is a ball lock mini regulator and a ball lock faucet. I converted my regulator included with the pico to ball lock like that one. And bought a faucet like that. I use it to take a keg to a party or buddies house. Works fine. I will caution a faucet like that foams a lot, you have to move the pressure way down when serving. Annoying. I will use a picnic tap with long beer line to fix the foam problem from now on.
ok,
thank u very much :)

This might be a dumb question but I want to confirm before I proceed: I can use the FF adapter but still ferment at standard temps and for the standard time, correct?

Absolutely. In fact that's what many of us are doing. The FF valve is just easier to deal with, and creates a more forgiving range of fermentation temps.

Yeah man. I use it in my regular 5 gal batches to secondary in a corny. Basically allows you to convert any corny keg into a secondary fermenter. Love it for lagers.

Interestingly, I don't actually use it on Pico batches much mainly because it's usually tied up with my real batches

That's great. I really respect Pliny as a great DIPA, but half squeezed is more up my alley. Will be brewing this one over and over. My Pliny took 11.5 days to complete fermentation so two weeks would be the minimum time I would recommend if not monitoring. I have so many Pico packs I want to try but want more deadguy and half squeezed so bad, decisions! A good problem to have.

I'm with you - I'm not as much a DIPA fan, I'm definitely more a session IPA/hoppy PA fan. Seems like that's the hardest style to brew on this device though.

I'm with you - I'm not as much a DIPA fan, I'm definitely more a session IPA/hoppy PA fan. Seems like that's the hardest style to brew on this device though.

That's silly. Just Brew Annie's London (with s05) or any other PICO PA and dry Hop it and you will be happy.

Well, I've tried 8 paks so far and I beg to differ. I'm dialing in on a better result but I am still not getting the "hop blast" I would get from a top tier pale ale. The extra maltiness and ABV of the Pliny clone really helps the overall flavor come together.

At this point I'm not sure the s05 yeast is going to do what I'm looking for in a light bodied floral PA/IPA. I'm going to explore alternate yeasts next.

As the other guys said absolutely. It's all I use. Only suggestion is don't use it on a Saison if you want that Belgium yeast funkiness that makes the style. The FF adapter suppresses yeast off flavors, and on that style you actually want them.

Yeah man. I use it in my regular 5 gal batches to secondary in a corny. Basically allows you to convert any corny keg into a secondary fermenter. Love it for lagers.

Interestingly, I don't actually use it on Pico batches much mainly because it's usually tied up with my real batches

I used the adapter in primary for a 5-gal batch of stout. Worked great... about 4 oz of blowoff and I had to jiggle the adapter after that to get it un-stuck;)

I used the adapter in primary for a 5-gal batch of stout. Worked great... about 4 oz of blowoff and I had to jiggle the adapter after that to get it un-stuck;)

Fermcap-s! I use it in every batch. What blowoff.

As the other guys said absolutely. It's all I use. Only suggestion is don't use it on a Saison if you want that Belgium yeast funkiness that makes the style. The FF adapter suppresses yeast off flavors, and on that style you actually want them.

Interesting - thanks for the tip. What about a German Weiss?

Wanted to see if anyone has heard of this or had this issue. Went to brew Coronado IPA today. When it got to the mash step I got and error saying to check the keg connections. Reseatted the connections and tried again. The error came up again. Made sure there was nothing clogged. Started the brew again and it went through and finished. At the end when I looked in the keg it was only about 1/4 of the way filled. So I basically wasted 2 hours for nothing.

Wanted to see if anyone has heard of this or had this issue. Went to brew Coronado IPA today. When it got to the mash step I got and error saying to check the keg connections. Reseatted the connections and tried again. The error came up again. Made sure there was nothing clogged. Started the brew again and it went through and finished. At the end when I looked in the keg it was only about 1/4 of the way filled. So I basically wasted 2 hours for nothing.

Where did the rest of the liquid go? It can't disappear. If it wasn't in the keg then either it leaked out all over your floor, or the step filter was full? You filled the keg with one gallon and 6 cups of water right?

Interesting - thanks for the tip. What about a German Weiss?

Well there's none of those in the marketplace yet lol but I would think so. Basically any beer that has desirable esters produced by yeast you would want to use standard fermentation.

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes. We're going to try our first batch with liquid yeast this weekend. I'm assuming we don't use the whole thing, just as you don't use the whole packet of dry? How much do you recommend using?

Thanks!

Back