PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the brewmaster says it's HIS beer and he's happy with it, I am glad to know that his brewery is temporarily operating in my kitchen! :)

Can't wait to brew mine, it's a great style to brew in colder months.

And sorry, did not mean to be nor sound pedantic. It is one aspect of the Pico offering that I like, the ability to make their beer...while sometimes making one "that is like" is fine as well.

I guess technically this is the real deal since it is a rogue approved pack. But we all know there is more to the process than pressing that start brew button.

Even if Rogue approved, I guarantee they aren't using US05 so it should be a little different as shipped. I know you use liquid yeast so if it was Pacman it should be dead on.

You can get quite a few batches from 1 vial/smack pack of liquid yeast. You'll get 2 from the initial pitching (only need to pitch half) and then just harvest and save the slurry from those to get probably another 4-6 batches worth. Then you can harvest the slurry from those, etc. etc.

I know. I've been buying and propagating liquid yeast for years for homebrewing. It's just that I wanted Pico to be viable for when I didn't want to do all that stuff.

Also, as an intellectually stubborn person, I refuse to believe this can't somehow work with dry yeast. I am determined to make it work

I used a half vial of WLP-001 between tweaties and dead guy. Supposedly the same yeast strain as US-05, but in liquid form. I promise neither tweaties nor dead guy has any bit of the weirdness my us-05 batches had. And I promise it was near impossible to tell a difference in mine and a bottle. Personally the only difference I noted was visual, mine was slightly cloudy compared to commercial, but pretty clear by homebrewers standard (non gelatin).

I've got my first 1 and a half (half, because a leak in the back of the unit dripped much of Plinius on the countertop) fermenting with the FF adapter for the last ten days now. Half-squeezed was dry hopped today, and looked very much like a beer with perhaps a slightly "cider"-ish smell out of the CO2 plug. I plan to dry hop Plinius on day 14. Being in Japan I've used a "kotatsu" to keep temperatures at about 24C for the first week, but thinking I could better the efficiency I bought an aquarium heater for $10 and plopped them in a picnic cooler of warm water.

There are a number problems with brewing here: the S&H is almost the price of the pak, RO/distilled water is $1 a liter, and domestically available CO2 cartridges in 16g size are only meant for bike tire inflation (the package I got says "not for food use" though not in the "beware, this is poison!" sense). Hopefully they will work, I only got five cartridges from Pico. I managed to get star san from the sole Japanese supplier at $90 for the 32oz size (with the hope it is enough to last a lifetime). Japan is an exceedingly humid country at any latitude, and dealing with mold means Star San should be multi-purpose. I have a number of used Asahi Stout bottles here, so I think for any less-hop dependent brews I will just go that route. I thought of racking from the primary to the bottles for secondary, in which case could I dump the package of priming sugar into the primary before pumping them out? Someday I might get a keg system working out (everything would have to be sourced from overseas) because one of the mom&pop shops here has CO2 rentals for retail keg use. The pico is a catch 22 - those of us most in need of the device for non-adjunct-lager beer live in countries without a home-brewing culture, and thus have the hardest time managing the aspects of the supply chain!

I've got my first 1 and a half (half, because a leak in the back of the unit dripped much of Plinius on the countertop) fermenting with the FF adapter for the last ten days now. Half-squeezed was dry hopped today, and looked very much like a beer with perhaps a slightly "cider"-ish smell out of the CO2 plug. I plan to dry hop Plinius on day 14. Being in Japan I've used a "kotatsu" to keep temperatures at about 24C for the first week, but thinking I could better the efficiency I bought an aquarium heater for $10 and plopped them in a picnic cooler of warm water.

There are a number problems with brewing here: the S&H is almost the price of the pak, RO/distilled water is $1 a liter, and domestically available CO2 cartridges in 16g size are only meant for bike tire inflation (the package I got says "not for food use" though not in the "beware, this is poison!" sense). Hopefully they will work, I only got five cartridges from Pico. I managed to get star san from the sole Japanese supplier at $90 for the 32oz size (with the hope it is enough to last a lifetime). Japan is an exceedingly humid country at any latitude, and dealing with mold means Star San should be multi-purpose. I have a number of used Asahi Stout bottles here, so I think for any less-hop dependent brews I will just go that route. I thought of racking from the primary to the bottles for secondary, in which case could I dump the package of priming sugar into the primary before pumping them out? Someday I might get a keg system working out (everything would have to be sourced from overseas) because one of the mom&pop shops here has CO2 rentals for retail keg use. The pico is a catch 22 - those of us most in need of the device for non-adjunct-lager beer live in countries without a home-brewing culture, and thus have the hardest time managing the aspects of the supply chain!

Daaaamn, that sucks! It almost seems like going the all-grain route might be a better option for you. That way you wouldnt be stuck having to use Pico's proprietary stuff and could use commodity hardware and ingredients.

Ya the Pico doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for those out of the US. Never would of guessed distilled water is so hard to source, we can get it at any grocery store for like $.60 gallon, or fill a 5 gallon water jug with RO for $1.25!

Pico is so hit and miss. Theories: Suspect yeast. Lack of instruction specific to beer on yeast pitch, fermentation and temps. Low wage workers not prepping picos correctly? Components imparting off flavors? Any other reasons?

I racked 1/2 Squeezed this afternoon on day 13 after 10 fermenting, 2 dry hopping, and 1 cold crashing. There was no trub going into the keg, and I attached the CO2 adapter and set it to about 24psi with the intent that I might be able to serve tomorrow night. Tasting the bit I poured out it seemed like a flat IPA, so I have hopes the approach laid out on these boards will produce something drinkable :p It doesn't seem possible to pause the Pico racking once it starts, or is it? For my half-keg of Plinius I might need to bottle from a serving keg to keep things from becoming too messy.

Pico is so hit and miss. Theories: Suspect yeast. Lack of instruction specific to beer on yeast pitch, fermentation and temps. Low wage workers not prepping picos correctly? Components imparting off flavors? Any other reasons?

Not my experienc. I brew in the PICO and ferment and carbonate per std methods. The beers rock across the board.

I racked 1/2 Squeezed this afternoon on day 13 after 10 fermenting, 2 dry hopping, and 1 cold crashing. There was no trub going into the keg, and I attached the CO2 adapter and set it to about 24psi with the intent that I might be able to serve tomorrow night. Tasting the bit I poured out it seemed like a flat IPA, so I have hopes the approach laid out on these boards will produce something drinkable :p It doesn't seem possible to pause the Pico racking once it starts, or is it? For my half-keg of Plinius I might need to bottle from a serving keg to keep things from becoming too messy.

No once you start racking it won't stop, other than the initial pour off of trub. When you stop it still dribbles out, bottling from the Pico would not be practical anyways. You could rig up a bottling wand if you plan on bottling often. Email support I bet they can guide you in the right direction.

Not my experienc. I brew in the PICO and ferment and carbonate per std methods. The beers rock across the board.
And my experience is quite different from yours. I've yet to produce anything even remotely drinkable using the pico. I've had to dump 2-3 batches and the ones I didn't dump were only slightly better. Only the very first batch I brewed (a stout) could even be identified as fitting into any recognized style of beer, the remainder were all just sour messes with no hop aroma or flavor whatsoever.

I've got a non pico brewed extract batch fermenting right now as an experiment to test my processes/sanitation. I used 1/3 pack of US05 so I can test that as well. Fingers crossed.

I see people here suspecting the yeast supplied with the pico packs as being a potential source of their bad brews, and at least one guy is claiming better success with liquid yeast. Just curious, has anyone tried buying a pack of US05 from their LHBS and fermented with that instead of the supplied yeast or liquid yeast? This should be a complete apples to apples comparison to rule out improper handling of the supplied US05 yeast that comes with the pico pack. It is also cheaper than liquid yeast for those of you who don't want to pay that much.

I see people here suspecting the yeast supplied with the pico packs as being a potential source of their bad brews, and at least one guy is claiming better success with liquid yeast. Just curious, has anyone tried buying a pack of US05 from their LHBS and fermented with that instead of the supplied yeast or liquid yeast? This should be a complete apples to apples comparison to rule out improper handling of the supplied US05 yeast that comes with the pico pack. It is also cheaper than liquid yeast for those of you who don't want to pay that much.

I have not tried a different source of us-05, probably won't, I'm a fan of liquid yeast from before the Pico, I've always had better results with liquid personally. The strange cider tartness I've had with Pico batches, I've never had in the past with us-05. Using less yeast has resulted in less of the flavor for me, but others have not liked the results with less yeast as well. It's a strange problem I don't plan on spending much more time on, I don't mind paying a little more for liquid yeast. Hopefully Picobrew gets the liquid yeast option shipping with packs soon.

I have a batch of Little RIPA from the Pico on tap. Since it's my recipe, I'm in a pretty good position to evaluate it. I'd say it's about 95% of what the all grain, traditionally brewed version is. I use a tsp. of yeast, ferment normally (not hi temp fast ferment), and rack traditionally, not sing the pump in the Pico. I just don't like pushing beer with air. I can still taste a bit of the peachy ester you get with US05 so next time I'll ferment with WY1450 like I usually do.

Denny, thanks for the feedback on your recipe. Do you find the dry hopping character meets your expectations? So far that's the biggest disconnect for me from my results vs what my expectations were.

Also, is Pico pretty much restricting ale recipes to US-05? That peachy/cidery flavor is almost certainly the "off- flavor" I have experienced over my batches. Reducing to 1 tsp has minimized but not eliminated it.

I'm brewing two batches today (Kermode and Plinicus) and I'll use a liquid US-05 for these. Whatever off flavor I've been experiencing I've drank 20 liters of it now so I'll have a pretty good idea how this compares!

Liquid us-05? I assume you mean wlp-001?

There are not many options out there for dry yeast, they are using the premium options. For ales your either gonna get s-04 for English ales or us-05 for American ales. They also have a belle saison yeasts that ships with saison packs, and a lager yeast that ships with lagers.

If you don't like your dry hop results, buy you a hop sack and remove the hops from the paper they ship in and use the hop sack. I racked my Plinius today, holy hop bomb, I used a hop sack :)

Hi all! We're on the third batch using our Pico, and this is the first IPA we've done. The other 2 came out great, so I'm a little wary. I'm having a hard time finding the Facebook group you guys have been referencing - can someone tell me which one it is? I found one that has only 40 or so members. Is that it?

Thanks!

Ah, I see - didn't realize that most yeasts are only available in liquid form.

Depending on my results with dry hopping in the serving keg, a hop sack will be next step. It just means one more thing to sanitize and more work :)

Ya I ended up boiling my hop sack for a few minutes, but I will admit I've skipped the sanitation part many times in the past lol. Once it's beer with alcohol sanitation is less of a worry to me personally.

Yup, Facebook group is Picobrewers, over 800 members mix of zymatic and Pico owners.

Denny, thanks for the feedback on your recipe. Do you find the dry hopping character meets your expectations? So far that's the biggest disconnect for me from my results vs what my expectations were.

Also, is Pico pretty much restricting ale recipes to US-05? That peachy/cidery flavor is almost certainly the "off- flavor" I have experienced over my batches. Reducing to 1 tsp has minimized but not eliminated it.

I'm brewing two batches today (Kermode and Plinicus) and I'll use a liquid US-05 for these. Whatever off flavor I've been experiencing I've drank 20 liters of it now so I'll have a pretty good idea how this compares!

It doesn't have as much dry hop character as the "normal" batches I dry hop in the serving keg. I skipped the mini keg and dry hopped the Pico batch in a small corny and added the dry hops there. It's OK, but like I said not like other batches. I may toss in more dry hops of my own next time.

Picobrew had explored a number of yeast option, including liquid yeast, but apparently none of the options was viable. AFAIK, they're only providing US05 with the kits. I've long disliked that yeast. But it's an OK general purpose yeast if you don't want to do anything else. Fortunately I have a LOT of varieties of Wyeast around, so I use one of those most of the time.

I don't think there is a liquid US05.

Thanks Denny. I was referring to the WLP liquid yeast which I understood is the same strain as US05? I was playing fast and loose with my naming :)

Once again the Pico didn't connect to the internet. I tested the wifi connection before I started to brew and everything was good.

Trying Deaf Turtle again. :(

Thanks Denny. I was referring to the WLP liquid yeast which I understood is the same strain as US05? I was playing fast and loose with my naming :)

US05, WLP001, and WY1056 all have the same origin, but have diverged slightly due to genetic changes. They're still in the same ballpark, but my testing (along with an experiment on Experimental Brewing) found 1056 to be cleanest, followed closely by WLP001, with US05 bringing up the rear.

Once again the Pico didn't connect to the internet. I tested the wifi connection before I started to brew and everything was good.

Trying Deaf Turtle again. :(

I really wish they had included an ethernet port on the pico. I understand why they didn't, but I'm a believer in 'two is one and one is none'.

Anyone have a lot of foam when they brewed deaf turtle? I remember some, but this batch foamed out of the stepfilter and all over the lid and top of the Pico. There was some foam that came out of the keg but not much. Time for a deep clean anyway.

Sorry I haven't had any wifi issues at all, not sure what the issue could be but the few problems I've seen reported on the Facebook group seemed to be router related and resetting router seemed to fix it. I haven't brewed deaf Turtle, it seems to get pretty bad reviews. I've only seen foam on one of my 12 batches, it was early on don't remember which it was. Shouldn't be a problem. They sell anti-foam which should be the same thing as fermcap-s sold at homebrew shops. If you keep having foam issues I would grab some. I use a few drops in the keg after pitching and shaking yeast, have not had any blowoff mess at all. Great stuff especially in the Pico keg with small headspace for fermentation.

Sorry I haven't had any wifi issues at all, not sure what the issue could be but the few problems I've seen reported on the Facebook group seemed to be router related and resetting router seemed to fix it. I haven't brewed deaf Turtle, it seems to get pretty bad reviews. I've only seen foam on one of my 12 batches, it was early on don't remember which it was. Shouldn't be a problem. They sell anti-foam which should be the same thing as fermcap-s sold at homebrew shops. If you keep having foam issues I would grab some. I use a few drops in the keg after pitching and shaking yeast, have not had any blowoff mess at all. Great stuff especially in the Pico keg with small headspace for fermentation.

Just brewed Deaf Turtle this past weekend and missed the OG by 10 points. Pretty disappointed as I have yet to brew a solid IPA and this is my fifth attempt. I have been exchanging emails with support but waiting for hopefully some answer to my issues.

I brewed Deaf Turtle and it turned out pretty good. 10 days @ 65 deg with FF adapter, 4 days dry hop, , 3 day cold crash and keg carb for 8 days at 13psi.

it's not foam in the keg it foamed in the Pico. Foamed all over the top of the stepfilter and down the sides of the Pico. Foamed enough that there was liquid in the little drip tray at the front of the machine.

I brewed Deaf Turtle and it turned out pretty good. 10 days @ 65 deg with FF adapter, 4 days dry hop, , 3 day cold crash and keg carb for 8 days at 13psi.

I FF at 70 (might be 73 in the keg) 9 days, dry hopped 4. Cold crashed 2 and only keg carbed for 2 before I was tasting it. So not a lot different. But I guess enough. It got worse the longer it was carbing, after about 6 days I dumped it.

I really wish they had included an ethernet port on the pico. I understand why they didn't, but I'm a believer in 'two is one and one is none'.

we did determine the issue wasn't between my router and the pico, it's somewhere after that and since I use Verizon as my IP who knows what happens! Ethernet wouldn't have helped this problem.

it's not foam in the keg it foamed in the Pico. Foamed all over the top of the stepfilter and down the sides of the Pico. Foamed enough that there was liquid in the little drip tray at the front of the machine.

The anti foam/fermcap-s will help with your issue of foam during brew cycle, and foam/blowoff during fermentation. If you use it during brewing, you need to re-add a few drops if you want to control blowoff during fermentation.

Back