PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have received my shipping numbers and items are in transit, you should have received notification by now. If not he may not have gotten them all inspected and shipped this past weekend. His garage was packed tight with them all this time around.

I also noticed the cart was open again for any extras, not sure how long that will last this time around.

Cart just closed roughly 2 hours ago... there are a few extras so stay tuned to your emails over the coming week for the announcement to those that subscribed on pico-free.com for when that hits.

Last edited:
Hey all.

I just picked up the last Pico-free from the latest batch, should be here tomorrow. I already build a grain bin out of stainless steel and a crude but functional stainless steel hops bin for my pico pro.
I just picked up a pico s off ebay for $80 shipped. looking forward to being able to brew simultaneously.

I swapped out the fittings with ball lock fittings and started a deep clean cycle to make sure everything worked. The step filter just kept filling up and no water was going into the keg. I thought that was weird. Then I looked up the deep clean instructions for the pico-c.

I was under the impression that the pico c was the same as the pico pro except for cosmetics and the ball lock fittings. I could not be more wrong. It may have the same hardware but the software is totally different.

It seems to do a deep clean in a pico- C you need to connected the in and the out hoses, fill up the step filter and put a pico-c cleaning bucket in the step filter.

I was not havening any part of that. I logged into my home pIco server and created a beer recipe named it deep clean and adjusted the boil temps and hops cycles and sent it off its way to cleaning. just like the pico pro. There is still a few other nuances with the machine but I think I c an get around it.

I love this forum. They have a awesome recipe clone forum and i have made many clone beers with great results using beer smith and running the beer. xml through picobrew's recipe converter to adjust it to the pico sized batch.

I have noticed though I have to up the hops. in the recipe's I think it has something to do with the way the picobrew extracts the flavor from the hops as opposed to boiling the hops in a pot. But I have been able to adjust.

one think I have learned with my Pico pro. do a deep clean after every bacth of beer and do a deep clean after you machine sits for 3 or more months without use. I had a scare with my pro that cause it to not heat, and it took about 5 deep clean cycles to clean out whatever was clogging the heating steam injector tubing.

Hi Pico users

I'm researching the differences between the Pico and the Z. I'm especially interested in the PCB behind the display.
Could someone please take and post a picture of it? Just loosen the four screws in the front and fold it down. No need to remove the cables.

That would be awesome and really helpful! Thanks a lot!

I actually have to pull the display board out of my Pico Pro. I have an issue that causes steam to get behind the board and causes the machine to crap out mid brew. Last time it happened I removed the screws and pulled the board away from the machine and hit it with some canned air to dry it out. the machine then powered back on and I was able to continue my brew.

I am thinking of sealing the plastic plate to the stainless with some RTV silicone.

I will get some pics while I have it out and post them here for you

Couple questions:
- How can I remove my Picobrew from my account? I used to see that option when I logged in at the site, but I can't find it any longer. Does it even matter at this point?
- Anybody interested in purchasing my Picobrew? It's one of the stainless models from the kickstarter campaign, I forget what the model designation is for those. It's got about 10-12 brews through it, is in great condition and works well. I'll let it go for $100 plus actual shipping costs.
Thanks!

@VagueSkunk According to PBfundingllc.com (picobrew's owner) you can deregister by sending an email to [email protected]
... I did this once, only took six months. literally six months.
The ownership doesn't matter if someone is going to use the offline server solution, or if you just want to hand over your login and password (just make it generic?)... Anyhow, these machines have some value but not much. The C/S/Pros were going NIB for $100 shipped after the auction. You might be able to sell it, but maybe consider just giving it away? I suppose it matters which model do you have..?

I may be interested in it. Sounds like you have the pico S (later named Pico Pro)

do you have all of the accessories with it? I may be interested if the shipping is not too much

If you know how to setup the pico server These systems have great Value. But only to someone who knows how to set it up. And they will have to buy a pico-free or build a grain and hops brew vessel.

with the shutdown of the picbrew servers being slated to happen at any time. there is not much value to the average user

I do have all the accessories, but I need to keep the kegs as I still use those for other purposes. As far as shipping costs, I just want to take the thing to a UPS store and have them box it up and ship it so I don't know the actual cost yet. If I can find a buyer, I'll investigate the shipping costs and disclose that to the buyer pre-sale. I'm in the Los Angeles area so if there's somebody local that wants it, that's a possibility as well.

I don't need the kegs. I have 7 of them and recently upgraded to 3 gal kegs to make double batches. I actually will be trying to get rid of some of my original Picobrew kegs. I only need to keep 3 of them

if you itemize what accessories you have I can tell you what I would need and not need and then you could get a estimate on shipping for me. let me know I am in Southern Oregon

*Edit* I just took a quick look while I was home for lunch and found the Picobrew unit itself, the step filter and the hops cradle. Are there any other accessories that you're looking for? I have the sous vide adapter as well.

Last edited:
Ah, ok. I'm sure that I'll be able to find most of that stuff with the exception of the co2 regulator; I know for a fact that I tossed that thing out. Hope that's not a deal breaker. Almost positive I have the wands, lid and plug.

nope. I have 4 of them and they are all built like crap. The picobrew one the gauge got stuck after the first use. I started buying them with external gauges that I could replace.

Here's what I have:

PIcobrew unit
Step filter
Hop cradle
2 wands
2 silicone keg seals
1 neoprene keg sleeve
2 cleaning brushes
1 red silicone plug
1 user manual
1 sous vide adapter

How's $150 shipped sound to you?

If you have been in the market for a specific Pico C/S/Pro recipe crafter look no further. I've said I had a working profile available for BrewCrafter, but since I haven't gotten traction getting that merged and released in the "official beta crafter" experience why not make it available in an "unofficial alpha/beta crafter.

Anyways I've done just that with a dev pipeline including my fixes and updates that were purposed to BrewCrafter at crafter.pilotbatchbrewing.com feel free to give this "alpha/beta preview" a spin. No clue when these new features (PicoFree / PicoPak recipe, newly fixed email integration and more coming) will get merged into the "official beta crafter" experience.

If you have been in the market for a specific Pico C/S/Pro recipe crafter look no further. I've said I had a working profile available for BrewCrafter, but since I haven't gotten traction getting that merged and released in the "official beta crafter" experience why not make it available in an "unofficial alpha/beta crafter.

Anyways I've done just that with a dev pipeline including my fixes and updates that were purposed to BrewCrafter at crafter.pilotbatchbrewing.com feel free to give this "alpha/beta preview" a spin. No clue when these new features (PicoFree / PicoPak recipe, newly fixed email integration and more coming) will get merged into the "official beta crafter" experience.

seems to be something wrong on the beercrafter web page. tried to create a sign in but then it will not accept my password to login, tried the reset password and I do not receive email to reset password

Added a few recipes and a very basic inventory beer xml (technically a recipe) users can use to shortcut building a db on your deployment of brewcrafter. If anyone is interested, it can be viewed here: BrewCrafter 2

Thanks mate. Yeah major downside (IMO) is that BrewCrafter never had a basic prefilled in ingredient list with really the very basics (2 row, crystals, Vienna, etc). Nice hack to get around that you have there! Like it. If I get time maybe I'll build "shared" ingredients that default into each user's account. I understand that default isn't good enough given regional disparity in product (and seasonal differences in hop crops)

Just picked up a Pico Pro/S to play around with. Looks like I shouldn't expect the Pico Free to open for purchase again. Has anyone come up with another option or am I lookup at tedious manual brews?

There are a few people who have suggested diy grain and hops carriers (some posting pics and plans) on Facebook Groups -- the hops carrier is the trickier part but for sure there are ways to diy it.

you could also use the step filter with a grain bag and when the system gets to the boil, you could pull the grain bag and add hops per your schedule directly to the keg in a spider... sure, not as automated, but self regulating...

Just picked up a Pico Pro/S to play around with. Looks like I shouldn't expect the Pico Free to open for purchase again. Has anyone come up with another option or am I lookup at tedious manual brews?

After tediously making a stainless steel grain bin and using SS perforated, I ended up with too much grain getting into the step filter and clogging. I ended up just putting a bag inside the grain bin. Problem solved. Knowing what I know now. I would not have build it the way I did. It only needs to be a bin (without lid) and a few holes in the bottom. The hops bin just needs to hold 4 different hops in the hops bags.

if you do try and make one don't over complicate it.

I also noticed the cart was open again for any extras, not sure how long that will last this time around.

Cart just closed roughly 2 hours ago... there are a few extras so stay tuned to your emails over the coming week for the announcement to those that subscribed on pico-free.com for when that hits.

Hi Trevor, just dusting off my original Pico from the kick start and fired up the server. I had given it up for junk. I'm late in the game by the looks of it. if you have any spares left over I would be interested in purchasing one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Trevor, just dusting off my original Pico from the kick start and fired up the server. I had given it up for junk. I'm late in the game by the looks of it. if you have any spares left over I would be interested in purchasing one.

Trevor was just the messenger— the guy who was sourcing the kits is done but if you’re on Facebook you should join the picobrewers group (Facebook Groups) as the pico-free kits occasionally pop up for sale. Alternatively, other folks there have made their own grain and hops carrier solutions, so even without the pico-free, you’re not SOL.

Recently there have been 2 complete unit setup for grabs in Texas and Florida (with a PicoFree).

I don't have any extras personally available, though there maybe some available if you ask around the Facebook group that RampantOctopus mentioned above.

Though beyond building or finding a grain and hop bin, you can still get use out of the device in "manual brewing" mode just not as much value as from the automated aspects that convinced you to get it (eg. Picopak simplicity).

So I have a second hand pico C and a Picostill. Don't care about the latter and would like to just sell the setup.

If I decided to wade into this mess... Is it worth it? I mean I do small batch all grain, plus I have a Beermkr and also do extract kits.

Is there a way to edit recipes and do automatically?

So I have a second hand pico C and a Picostill. Don't care about the latter and would like to just sell the setup.

If I decided to wade into this mess... Is it worth it? I mean I do small batch all grain, plus I have a Beermkr and also do extract kits.

Is there a way to edit recipes and do automatically?

Hi Texas-- so I've got a mixed bag of thoughts for you. In no particular order:

The Still - probably get you $100+ on ebay or online. People want these but to be sure, they are flaky and difficult to use. If you like a challenge, they're fun, but for sure they're a pain. Ironically, if you go there-- I'd make your wash on a stove and not in the Pico... sugars and clogs and such...

The Pico C - totally a nice little machine but has basically zero resale value. You might as well engage with it-- you might actually really like it. Check out Trevor's blog post about using it as an automated machine even without PicoBrew's Paks: True Potential of Picobrew = ChiefWigms Server + RaspberryPi

... the downside is, you'll need to fashion your own hop carrier and grain bin (less important)... but people are on that too. Visit the FB Picobrewers group and take a look at some of the diy solutions people have come up with: Facebook Groups

I'm really glossing over a lot here-- and I don't have first hand experience with the Beermkr-- but I think the Pico is head and shoulders over the Beermkr in terms of actually making beer you have control over. I don't doubt that the Beermkr can turn out a delicious beer, I just don't see how you'd be able to bring your own ingredients to the party (and how you could get by without using their consumables-- bags etc).

As for doing anything with a still, large quantities allow better cuts. The small quantity of a PicoStill is ???

After tediously making a stainless steel grain bin and using SS perforated, I ended up with too much grain getting into the step filter and clogging. I ended up just putting a bag inside the grain bin. Problem solved. Knowing what I know now. I would not have build it the way I did. It only needs to be a bin (without lid) and a few holes in the bottom. The hops bin just needs to hold 4 different hops in the hops bags.

if you do try and make one don't over complicate it.

Agreed, I tried several filtration lids on my custom 6QT grain bin, and each failed to prevent grain from spilling over into the step filter. So I too now use a grain bag inside the bin, and finally acheived the goal of a fully automated hands off brew session, hurrah. The extra effort of cleaning out the bag is not much given the payoff. I'd still be open to finding a solution but not a big priority for me anymore.

Got some potentially good news. The creator of the PicoFree boxes has gotten word from the manufacturer/printer in China that they would be willing to do another run if we can get to a specific (still to be determined) Minimum Order Quantity (known as a MOQ).

Here is the email copied directly from what was sent to those that subscribed to updates at Pico Free - Brew the beer of your dreams

Dear Brewers,
So I have decided that I would see about doing another run of Pico-Free Boxes. I have discussed with the manufacturer and it seems that I can get them to produce if can get enough orders. So PRIOR to pulling the trigger, I wanted to see how many people are still looking for Pico-Free boxes. IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED, please send an email to the [email protected] with the number of pico-free boxes that you would like to purchase in the SUBJECT line.
As you know the global logistics situation is a little slow right now. I cannot guarantee when they will arrive, but I would guess February, at which point I would ship them all out right away.

Thank you for your interest, and please ignore this message if you are no longer interested. Thanks.

The important stuff first... pre-order cart is open (shipping, logistics, and factory are ready when MOQ is hit).

THIS IS A PREORDER, ONCE I MEET MY MOQ I WILL PLACE THE PRODUCT ORDER!
From the time the cart closes, likely before 12/31/2020 it will likely be 3 to 4 months till delivery due to the global supply chain issues.
If I do not meet MOQ, i will refund your payment MINUS about 4% that I loose through the ecommerce site and PayPal.

As always, all additional money that I collect I will donate to charities for children.
https://www.pico-free.com/product/pico-free-buy

And the email that went out today:

December 12, 2021 Update.
OK so I have a chance to make one last order, and I have found a way to ship that wont raise the price too much. That being the case, I have decided to do the order. The price is a little more than previous orders, but that is just the supply chain issues in the world causing freight and raw material costs to rise. But I fear that if I do not order now, I will miss the chance to reorder.

THIS IS LIKELY THE VERY LAST TIME I CAN DO THIS SO PLEASE ORDER IF YOU WANT YOUR PICO-FREE!!!
AS ALWAYS I WILL DONATE ANY ADDITIONAL FUNDS TO CHILDREN'S CHARITIES.

Ender who worked on the software portion of this project has gotten a very generous offer from his company to match all donations made. These donations will be donated to the The Greater Boston Food Bank.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN for your support of this project!
https://www.pico-free.com/

Update regarding PicoFree.

Just a quick note for everyone interested in this last order of PICO-FREE.
Good News, we have met MOQ, so the order will go in. I will place an initial PO this week to get the order in and production booked in. I can revise the PO if I get more orders, so no issue.
BUT PLEASE NOTE that THE CART WILL CLOSE on SUNDAY THE 19th at midnight CST. ONCE IT CLOSES, I am afraid that there will be NO MORE future orders.
So if you want to be able to do automatically brew on your Pico C, S, or Pro, then please order this week from www.pico-free.com
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL.

Again the cart will CLOSE on Sunday the 19th at midnight CST.

Looking for a little support -- During a recent brew my Pico C was was heating very slowly and that added an hour or two to the total time. The temperature climbed very slowly during the brew, and even stalled out below the top boil temp so that threw up a couple errors. I just ran a deep clean and at first it was taking 5 minutes to heat the water every 1 degC. After the deep clean with detergent it's heating 3L of water at a rate of 1 deg C over 1.5 minutes, certainly an improvement but maybe not quite full capacity.

Both the steam and main pumps are healthy and primed with normal flow rates on both. Does the thermoblock accumulate baked on wort if the main pump gets choked at any point during a brew session?

Happy to hear any tips or tricks for troubleshooting, maintenance, or just thoughts on how best to treat the machine. Some people have mentioned they run deep cleans between each batch.

Last edited:
@fissionc I've found that after a couple of clean sessions that it is good to do a back to back cleaning. You sometimes would be surprised how much gunk gets on any of the heat exchangers and pumps over time especially if you aren't diligent of doing a HOT rinse immediately after a session run.

A good rule of thumb is to periodically run back to back cleans until the disposal water is near clear and the inline filter no longer contains any grit.

@fissionc I've found that after a couple of clean sessions that it is good to do a back to back cleaning. You sometimes would be surprised how much gunk gets on any of the heat exchangers and pumps over time especially if you aren't diligent of doing a HOT rinse immediately after a session run.

A good rule of thumb is to periodically run back to back cleans until the disposal water is near clear and the inline filter no longer contains any grit.

Great advice, I've seen the recommendation before and will do more deep cleans. I do use hot tap water for my post-brew rinses, which until this last time was enough to keep the pipes clean. As someone who likes to tear down appliances for maintenance, it takes some restraint not to pull out the exchanger and see the deposits with my own eyes!

The pumps likewise can get gunked up. I've found that a hot clean with a pause at a near boiling temp over night can help to loosen things up a bit. Then followed by a full second clean after resuming.

For those that are adventurous you can take apart soak and reassemble, but I wouldn't recommend to people that aren't comfortable with disassembly and reassembly of electronics.

The pumps likewise can get gunked up. I've found that a hot clean with a pause at a near boiling temp over night can help to loosen things up a bit. Then followed by a full second clean after resuming.

For those that are adventurous you can take apart soak and reassemble, but I wouldn't recommend to people that aren't comfortable with disassembly and reassembly of electronics.
I did tear apart my pumps and was amazed at how gunked up they were, even after religiously cleaning them after brewing. It’s a bit of an adventure but doable. Pay attention, take pictures as you disassemble, or try what Trevor suggests.

Back