Picnic tap running non-stop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davcar74

Reaction score
So I got a kegerator a few months back (Nostalgia electrics model) and replaced the regulator, hooked up a manifold so I could carb one keg and serve another (currently only a single tap tower) and have a reasonable sense after a few kegs being cycled through the process as to what's going on. Everything works well. Regulator usually set to 9-11 psi.

The other night, I hooked up a keg to a small 2.5lb CO2 tank (using the same regulator, set below 10psi) and hooked up my picnic tap (on a ball valave connection) as I had planned on brining the keg with me sowhere. Beer started pouring out my (closed) picnic tap. Disconnected, released some pressure lowered psi to about 7, tried again - same result. Thought I might have been drunk (I was) so I tried again the next morning - same thing.

Am I missing something or do I just have a bad tap?

bad tap. Must be broken.

I guess in a real pinch, you could disconnect / reconnect it for every beer. But....get a new tap.

Its only for travel purposes anyway...I figured it must be the tap, but hadn't used a picnic tap with the system yet, so wanted to make sure. tks

luckely they are only like 3.50 so a new one shouldn't break the bank. But it deff seems to be the problem. If you wanted to check, disconnect the hose and blow into the bottom of the valve. if you can force air through, beer can get through.

I had two brand new ones do that to me a few months ago. I discovered that the faucet valves are actually threaded and can be disassembled. Check and see if yours are tightened all the way down.

Back