Pickling beverage lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreekBrewery

Reaction score
I am unfortunately unable to keep a constant supply of beer on tap. There is usually 2 to 5 weeks between using the kegerator; I only have a single tap right now. Can I leave my beverage lines and faucet full of sanitizer or rinse water (after sanitizer was run through)? I figure leaving something in there would be better than nothing to prevent nasties. Anyone have any good advice for a situation like this?

Do you unplug the fridge during this time? Just run cleaner through then via a keg, then a hot water rinse and let them dry well. Then they'll be fine. Sanitize before using again.

Are the faucets and shanks stainless steel or chrome plated brass? I think I would be hesitant to leave an acid based sanitizer of any beer line cleaner for an extended period of time in the chrome plated brass hardware, I think IrregularPulse is right to suggest drying them out.

Some of the sanitizers will cause the lines to start to degrade if left in contact for more than a day or so. Water would probably be ok, but getting them dry would be best IMO.

I do unplug the fridge unless I'm cold crashing something. I clean the lines as you described but they don't really dry out. Always seems like there is moisture, water drops, sitting in the line.

Any suggestions for getting the lines dry? Do you guys just leave the tap open for a bit after the liquid is all gone so the lines get blown out with CO2?

Back