Pickled eggs--recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been doing mine pretty simple and people love em... 12 hard boiled eggs, white vinegar (not sure how many cups maybe 2?) combine with some water (I do 3 vinegar to 1 water) and boil with about 1/2 cup sugar or more and some pickling salt. Then put eggs in half gallon mason jar, pour hot liquid on add small can of beets and let it sit overnight on the counter and then put in the fridge for about a week. I've done it with habaneros/jalapenos too minus the beets, just butterflying the habaneros, rings on the jalapenos and putting them in, people really like those a lot as well. The best though is taking the beet ones and doing those up as deviled eggs.

My boss gave me a small carton of quail eggs (carton holds 18 but there were 15 in there).

Just pickled those buggers up with some zliced jalapeno :rockin:

Can't wait to try them!

Forgive the ignorance, but... are pickled eggs any good?

I used to see them floating in the jar at this dive bar all the time, but, no thanks to those.

I love pickles... I love hardboiled eggs, but for the life of me, I can't put the two flavors together in my head. I'm intrigued... might have to just go for it.

Why yes they are.Beet pickled eggs are my favorite ,but I like them all sour,sweet ,hot and a combination of all three .You really should try them.If you can't stand them it's ok we'll understand.

Why yes they are.Beet pickled eggs are my favorite ,but I like them all sour,sweet ,hot and a combination of all three .You really should try them.If you can't stand them it's ok we'll understand.

Yeah... I'm always up to store stuff in glass containers for a while and come back to see how it turns out.

:D

I used to see them floating in the jar at this dive bar all the time, but, no thanks to those.

I love pickles... I love hardboiled eggs, but for the life of me, I can't put the two flavors together in my head. I'm intrigued... might have to just go for it.

They are very good. Don't think of them as eggs when you eat them though. The exterior when proper is kinda rubbery and think that's what turns people off. That and maybe the beet stained color. The best ones are from dive bars, they usually sit the longest. I find after a good 4 to 5 weeks in the jar those are the best.

BTW if you like the eggs and pickled beets try shurbs... My new favorite drink right now since have no brew on hand.

No better way to end the day than checking out HBT, eating a dozen pickled eggs, drinking a half gallon of homebrew, then off to bed!:eek:

No better way to end the day than checking out HBT, eating a dozen pickled eggs, drinking a half gallon of homebrew, then off to bed!:eek:

Make sure you leave a window open or you might die of methane poisoning.:D

Definitely. They need to really sit and pickle for a while, otherwise it's just eggs in vinegar. But beet pickled or mustard pickled are both good.

Around here, you can get them at the grocery store deli. That way you could try one before committing to it. You can sometimes find them in jars (Amish wedding eggs), but that might be regional.

Definitely. They need to really sit and pickle for a while, otherwise it's just eggs in vinegar. But beet pickled or mustard pickled are both good.

Around here, you can get them at the grocery store deli. That way you could try one before committing to it. You can sometimes find them in jars (Amish wedding eggs), but that might be regional.

Do you do mustard ones? A buddy of mine gets them from the local cheese shop and they are pretty darn good. I thought about making them and wondering what your recipe is for em? I prefer the hots or beet myself but it's always good to branch out. ha...

Do you do mustard ones? A buddy of mine gets them from the local cheese shop and they are pretty darn good. I thought about making them and wondering what your recipe is for em? I prefer the hots or beet myself but it's always good to branch out. ha...

It is basically the same as other pickled egg recipes (vinegar, water, sugar, salt) with a couple of tablespoons of yellow mustard added. You can also add turmeric powder to make it even more yellow.

[Mustard is basically vinegar, mustard seed, and turmeric. If I remember right, mustard seed gets hot when you add water, and increases in heat up to about 15 minutes. Vinegar stops it from getting hotter, sort of "fixing" the level of spice. For example, if you crush mustard seed with a little water and make a paste, wait 5 minutes and add vinegar, then it will be more mild than if you wait 15 minutes and add vinegar. You can make it this way, or just use mustard seeds and some prepared mustard from a jar.]

Is that enough to go on, or were you looking for more specifics for a recipe?

It is basically the same as other pickled egg recipes (vinegar, water, sugar, salt) with a couple of tablespoons of yellow mustard added. You can also add turmeric powder to make it even more yellow.

[Mustard is basically vinegar, mustard seed, and turmeric. If I remember right, mustard seed gets hot when you add water, and increases in heat up to about 15 minutes. Vinegar stops it from getting hotter, sort of "fixing" the level of spice. For example, if you crush mustard seed with a little water and make a paste, wait 5 minutes and add vinegar, then it will be more mild than if you wait 15 minutes and add vinegar. You can make it this way, or just use mustard seeds and some prepared mustard from a jar.]

Is that enough to go on, or were you looking for more specifics for a recipe?

Works thanks I'm a toss it in and see how it goes cook ha

One Pickle Jar + 2 dozen eggs + Kielbasa + assorted vegetables =

IMG_0121.jpg

pepperoncini, cauliflower, pearl onions, garlic cloves, asparagus, okra, baby carrots.

Reading this old thread has me primed. Pickled eggs and some pickled tongue are in my near future. Wife is going on a trip so let for wind blow as it may.

Those look awesome.... Whats a mustard egg fart smell like??? :D

You're OK if you're outside and can simply step into the wind. However, that same fart inside a pick up truck cab traveling 70 MPH can be deadly to longtime friendships.

Do not even think about eating a handful of these and going to Church...there the fart could easily be mistaken for the smell of brimstone and lead some to believe the Devil was in the building!;);)

Try cold smoking your shelled hard boiled eggs 3 hours then pickling!
If you have tasted smoked Deviled eggs you will have tasted greatness.

Going to make the Joe Jost's eggs tonight in advance of our fantasy football draft scheduled for Sunday. First time ever making pickled eggs, so I'm hoping I don't mess it up.

Any advice on peeling 16 eggs?

Going to make the Joe Jost's eggs tonight in advance of our fantasy football draft scheduled for Sunday. First time ever making pickled eggs, so I'm hoping I don't mess it up.

Any advice on peeling 16 eggs?

If your eggs are older they will peel easier.If they are fresh they can be a pain.If the first one peels good try the water glass hack it works really well with easy to peel eggs.Put the egg in a glass about half full of water,put your hand over the glass and shake up and down like hell.

I wish threads like this stayed more active.

View attachment 365614

Mustard pickled eggs. I ate them before the color got very deep. I need to make a dozen and then put them out of site for a month!

These sounded good so I made up a dozen a couple weeks ago and I tried one last night, it delicious. I'm trying to let they sit a while more but not sure I'll be able to keep my hands off them, maybe I should start another batch.

Well, the Joe Jost's eggs were a success, including by my girlfriend's dad, who has had them at the source.

Boiled up more eggs yesterday to replenish :)

What peppers did you use in these? The recipe just states a 12 oz jar of yellow chili peppers. Locally, all I can find are Pepperocini or banana peppers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously we don't have a decent grocery store, LOL! I think they sell that brand, just not those peppers. I'll have to check out a couple more stores in neighboring towns. Thanks!

2 Questions...

1. How many times can the pickling brine be re-used? I'm using the Joe Jost's recipe, and I'm currently on the second batch. Does the brine have one more batch in it?
  2. I saw on a recent Costco trip that they sell pre-boiled, pre-peeled eggs. While hard-boiling eggs isn't hard, I find I screw up some of them while trying to peel. Are these pre-made ones good for pickling?

Thanks, folks.

Those eggs from Costco that are pre peeled taste off to me. There must be some chemical they put on the egg to keep it edible that gives a bad taste. Imho....

2 Questions...

1. How many times can the pickling brine be re-used? I'm using the Joe Jost's recipe, and I'm currently on the second batch. Does the brine have one more batch in it?
  2. I saw on a recent Costco trip that they sell pre-boiled, pre-peeled eggs. While hard-boiling eggs isn't hard, I find I screw up some of them while trying to peel. Are these pre-made ones good for pickling?

Thanks, folks.

Did you let your eggs set out on the counter at room temp? I made a batch this morning before work, but didn't have the balls to let them set out and put them in the fridge. I figure they may take 2-3 times longer to get the flavor but better than getting sick. I just used the brine(and peppers) from the mazetta peppers with no other ingredients.

After making several batches of Joe Jost's eggs and a couple batches of Buffalo eggs I decided to try Cheyco's recipe with a TBS of crushed red peppers. Anxious to see how they turn out.

Back