Pick the pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
Drafting up a new version of a NEIPA that i have done with some success, but trying a different hop selection, and 2 of these varieties i have never used.
Here is the malt bill:

38% pale 2 row
38% pilsner
9% white wheat
9% flaked oats
6% caravienne

90 min boil

Fwh .40 magnum

Now here is the hop charges:
20 min whirlpool at 160:
1.5oz citra
2oz medusa or mosaic?
2oz galaxy or Azacca?

Then the same at dry hop charges (typical 40 hours into fermentation, and then again 5 days later)

Salt additions are 2tsp CaCl into mash and .5tsp CaSO into mash

My question here is the hop pairings. I do t want to do what everyone else does, im looking for a newer pairing, and i know galaxy and citra go well together as does mosaic, but ive never used azacca or medusa and was wondering if anyone here has used either of these in a NEIPA, and if so, what did you think of them?

I’d love to know how the Medusa/Azzaca work together/with the Citra, but the Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy is such an awesome combo... any dryhop/high krausen hoppings?

Edit: whoops, just saw the 40hr addition. Are you doing both 40hr and 5 day?

Edit 2: smacked... [emoji12] Sounds like an awesome basis for a split batch! Maybe do one Mosaic/Galaxy, one Medusa/Azzaca! Or any of the other combos!

Last edited:
Yes, the 5 day is more like 5 days from kegging, not 5 days into fermentation...ill let it sit in primary for a total of about 12 days.....so that second hop addition is more like a 7days in....i wont secondary this one, straight from primary to the tap :)

Back