PH Meter Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.thermoworks.com/High-Accuracy-pH-Meter-8689

Any thoughts or others using this? I've read positive feedback on other brewing forums. It's still about half the price of the MW102, so there's still a significant savings if it's a decent meter.
Thanks.

I have Thermapens, a Chef's Alarm and a Smoke BBQ remote monitor all by Thermoworks and can say they are all top notch products. I'd be very interested to learn if this ph meter is on par with their other products.

Well here is my final suggestion on this forum. Take and buy one two or a bunch of cheap ones and one of the hundred dollar ones. Now you have three to compare. Now next get yourself a number of Ph solutions of different values and a jug of distilled water. You can buy these solutions already made up or you can use a measured amount of distilled water and the dry packet of Ph solution mix. Wash all your probes really well in the distilled water. Make sure all your batteries are brand new from the store. Throw away the ones that came with the meter. They are not up to snuff. Get good batteries. Now follow the instruction very closely in how to use a Ph meter. Clean the probe in Distilled water. Calibrate the unit with at least three Ph Solutions High, Low, and Mid. Then take your measurments. When you are finished, again clean your probes and dry before putting you Ph meter away. And do not forget to turn it off. If you need accuracy then learn how to do accuracy in a professional laboratory manner.

SUPERSALE Digital pH Meter by Just Utile - Tester for Water Quality, Aquarium, Pool, Hydroponics and more | High Accuracy of 0 - 14 and ATC | 6 Calibration Buffer Powder Sachets | Blue Backlit Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GDC4GQM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Tried this one, no go. Attempted to calibrate 4 times and continued to get erratic readings. Weighed the distilled water, rinsed with distilled water and dried w/ filter paper between each calibration/ reading. On its way back to Amazon and the Dr. Meter on its way. I'll update Friday but reviews are much better on the Dr. The other one came up on lightning deals (love homebrewfinds !) and I jumped on it. C'est la vie!

Dr.Meter 0.1pH PH002 High Accuracy pH Meter/pH Pen Tester with ATC LCD 0-14 pH Measurement Range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PU0W35K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Using distilled water as any kind of validation test is pretty near meritless, imo.
Anything you buy at a grocery will be in an air-permeable container and distilled water is a freakin' sponge for CO2 which drops the pH by tenths in short order...

Cheers!

I should have clarified that I weighed the distilled water for the buffering powders. Not using it for validation test

I see this is an older thread but since it's bumped I'll add my meter. I went with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENFOIQE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Really liking it so far. Calibration is a cinch, but I was frustrated initially as I didn't realize after doing the first 7ph step if you go to calibrate again it will be looking for the 4ph calibration fluid automatically. I've calibrated and moved between solutions and it hits right on point. Beats the heck out of the Milwaukee pen ph tester I had.

Rev.

I've read the manual for the PH60. I find it quite attractive for a number of reasons (specs, sensor price, semi-manual calibration, color screen - and a totally unambiguous and frankly practical storage procedure). I'm thinking of adding one to my collection...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Looks like a nice meter Rev, thanks for posting. I have a Hanna Phep 5 and I am on my second probe (first one lasted a year and a half). Might look into this one to see if it works better. Mine is starting to drift again and I would have to buy another probe for it again. I know the probes don't last forever, but I would like to get a little more use out of it before having to replace it. I always use storage solution and I take care of my probes so it is not for lack of care.

John

Looks like a nice meter Rev, thanks for posting. I have a Hanna Phep 5 and I am on my second probe (first one lasted a year and a half). Might look into this one to see if it works better.

Keep in mind it's actually a kit that also comes with a case and a bit of calibration and storage solutions to start you off right away which I thought was cool. I also bought this kit of the solutions which I found convenient to get all in one box: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSZ4Q7Z/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Rev.

This reminds me, I need to buy more buffer solution from thermoworks before next brew day.

Also, @jcav , I've been storing my probe in distilled water and so far so good. I've heard contradictory info and decided to go the cheapo route and see what happens. How long are your probes lasting before they drift? Or perhaps I should ask, how many batches?

DI for storage is almost certainly not a good idea. It's bound to be leaching K, CL, and who else knows what else that's in the electrolyte...

Cheers!

I was going to buy storage solution until the advisor told me the stuff isnt worth the money when you factor in the cost of the probe vs solution and the minute (?) difference in probe longevity. I decided to put it to the test, and I suppose the proof will be in the pudding.

This reminds me, I need to buy more buffer solution from thermoworks before next brew day.

Also, @jcav , I've been storing my probe in distilled water and so far so good. I've heard contradictory info and decided to go the cheapo route and see what happens. How long are your probes lasting before they drift? Or perhaps I should ask, how many batches?

I always store my probe in storage solution. I get about 15 batches out of it ( I brew 10 gallon batches once a month) and then it starts to drift and I have to buy another probe. This last probe though only lasted about 10 batches in and then I noticed it started to drift. I just ordered some cleaning solution (kind of expensive) and I will try cleaning the probe with that. I am getting the feeling some of these probes are hit or miss on how long they last......

John

I always store my probe in storage solution. I get about 15 batches out of it ( I brew 10 gallon batches once a month) and then it starts to drift and I have to buy another probe. This last probe though only lasted about 10 batches in and then I noticed it started to drift. I just ordered some cleaning solution (kind of expensive) and I will try cleaning the probe with that. I am getting the feeling some of these probes are hit or miss on how long they last......

John

Okay, thanks. Just checked my notes and I guess I'm at 25 batches on my thermoworks probe. I actually thought it was a lot less.

I read that before purchasing. The advisor told me it's an unnecessary expense and distilled will work fine. He had more than a passing knowledge, but I'm not saying he's right. I just decided to try it for the $30 or so cost for the probe. I can honestly say it's performing very well, and I'm actually shocked that I'm 25 batches into it. I thought maybe 10.

I store in distilled and rehydrate in the same for ~25 minutes. In between solutions and afterwards, I flush with tap water, then distilled, and back into storage. I don't know... it's been working.

Last edited:
We have like 4 different ones now at the brewery including a Milwaukee 102, a cheap hanna, some green one that looks like a rebranded version of the blue one rev2010 posted above and a $11 no name red atc I brought from home and still the cheap red one is the most reliable out of the bunch holding calibration longer... go figure. I already had to replace the probe on the 102 after using it one the probe would no longer recalibrate which ? I assume was because of some defect since it was stored in the solution it came in. new one works but the meter takes a long time to reach a decision and it wanders a bit requiring constant recalibration.

I will share if it hasnt been shared already that the storage solution for the Milwaukee meters does not work for the cheapy meters. Totally messes them up. distilled water works the best for them.

Last edited:
I've read the manual for the PH60. I find it quite attractive for a number of reasons (specs, sensor price, semi-manual calibration, color screen - and a totally unambiguous and frankly practical storage procedure). I'm thinking of adding one to my collection...

Cheers!

So we're thinking the Apera over the Thermoworks at this point; are we hoping someone runs the stability test?

My pH meter instructed me to store the sensor end in 4pH cal solution. There's a sponge in the cap and I keep it saturated with that.
Unless you calibrate the meter monthly there's a good chance that little sponge will dry out forcing you to buy another meter or probe. Don't even ask how I know this ;-). I found out a nice 4-ounce beer-flight sized glass, plastic wrap and elastic band work a lot better when storing my meter. Soaking the meter in cleaning solution before storing it away in storage solution does extend the life of the bulb too. I've gone two years longer between bulb replacements using this method, instead of six months.

Last edited:
Unless you calibrate the meter monthly there's a good chance that little sponge will dry out forcing you to buy another meter or probe. Don't even ask how I know this ;-). I found out a nice 4-ounce beer-flight sized glass, plastic wrap and elastic band work a lot better when storing my meter. Soaking the meter in cleaning solution before storing it away in storage solution does extend the life of the bulb too. I've gone two years longer between bulb replacements using this method, instead of six months.

It's fine - I've had this meter since 2014. It still works perfectly... I use it all the time, for lots of whacky stuff, and it's completely stable and seems to remain accurate. I guess they have plastic caps mastered at Extech :)

I previously had a Milwaukee meter that I did ruin by improper storage though, so I'm keen on the subject.

It's fine - I've had this meter since 2014. It still works perfectly... I use it all the time, for lots of whacky stuff, and it's completely stable and seems to remain accurate. I guess they have plastic caps mastered at Extech :)

I previously had a Milwaukee meter that I did ruin by improper storage though, so I'm keen on the subject.
Thanks for sharing. I have to check out Extech I'm no big fan of paying Hanna $59 for replacement bulbs every few years.

Thanks for sharing. I have to check out Extech I'm no big fan of paying Hanna $59 for replacement bulbs every few years.

I have the Extech pH100. It's a replacable sensor head like yours. The pH110 is about $10 more, but you can refill the sensor with reference solution and in theory never worry about storage life. Check it out on Amazon. Cal solutions I use are in Post #3 above.

The pH100 has been so solid, I do wonder what all the hubbub is around pH meters. I use mine for beer (e.g., this past weekend), cheese, saltwater fish tank, soaping, pool, and myriad other interests. I've never had one single problem with it. Bonus, the bulb is enclosed, which makes it nearly indestructible.

So we're thinking the Apera over the Thermoworks at this point; are we hoping someone runs the stability test?

Which stability test is that? I recall Ajdelange's stability test was something like taking the readings over several hours... if that's the one you're referring to then sorry, I'm not going to give it that much an effort to test. All I can say is I've only used it for four brews so far so I have no idea how it will hold up. I did read a bunch of good reviews from brewer's that have been very happy with it. On the four brews I've done with it *ALL* have been quite accurate to Bru'n Waters mash predictions. And all times I calibrated the meter before use then after taking the mash pH I rinsed off the electrode and put it back into one of the calibration solutions and it correctly stabilized at exactly what the buffer is. I then shook off the electrode and placed the meter in the next calibration solution just to check accuracy and it again stabilized at exactly the buffer's pH. The most fluctuation so far has been 0.01 off.

One thing about the meter I realized early on was when calibrating it is don't press the "Calibrate" button to accept the calibration until the reading is correct. It often presents the "smiley face" icon which is it's way of saying the reading has stabilized, but if the reading is say 7.03 or whatever just wait and as it changes the smiley goes away and comes back. Once it's at 7.00 and you have the smiley *then* you accept the calibration. At that point it's calibrated for the first step. After shaking off the electrode simply press and hold calibrate again and then insert it into the 4.00 solution and again wait for it to reach 4.00 with the smiley then accept.

What impresses me about it is that after taking the mash reading and rinsing off the electrode it reads each buffer perfectly. The Milwaukee I had was a constant guessing game. I was considering the MW102 which gets high recommendations, just went with the Apera for price and cause it's a whole kit.

Rev.

Well, for all those of you precariously perched on the edges of your brewing chairs, I have decided to get the ExTech PH100 and we're just gonna see what's what with all these various pH modelling spreadsheets, in the microcosm that defines the very nitpicky and totally randomly personal details of my recipes and brews. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programs.

I think the ExTech pH100 is an excellent choice. I have had my eye on one for a while. I like that it is made in the USA, and that the electrode is refillable.

I think the ExTech pH100 is an excellent choice. I have had my eye on one for a while. I like that it is made in the USA, and that the electrode is refillable.

if you want refillable make sure you get the 110 not the 100, which is not refillable electrode

I previously had a Milwaukee meter that I did ruin by improper storage though, so I'm keen on the subject

Great I found this thread, since I'm getting very interested in purchasing an Extech pH 100 or 110 too...
Do I understand it correctly, that you have it since 4-5 years and didn't have to replace the electrode yet?

Then the 110-model with refillable electrode sounds very promising, too. If by refilling you can considerably increase
the electrode's shelf life.... So far, in my bit of research, I didn't come across other meters in a similar price range that do have this feature.
Does someone here have already some experience with the 110-model?

Great I found this thread, since I'm getting very interested in purchasing an Extech pH 100 or 110 too...
Do I understand it correctly, that you have it since 4-5 years and didn't have to replace the electrode yet?

Then the 110-model with refillable electrode sounds very promising, too. If by refilling you can considerably increase
the electrode's shelf life.... So far, in my bit of research, I didn't come across other meters in a similar price range that do have this feature.
Does someone here have already some experience with the 110-model?

Quite coincidentally, I replaced it a week ago. There is a "renew" indicator on its display that started blinking. I purchased this meter November 2014.

According to the manual, the indicator blinks when the sensor fails some "internal diagnostics" test. In fact, I was measuring something that was quite alkaline and getting some questionable readings, and when I looked at the display the warning was blinking - so I guess the diagnostics are legit. The new sensor head was $40. There is a minor economic advantage to getting the pH110, since it's refillable, but looking back I would probably buy that one instead of the pH100 - I have an aversion to "disposable" items, such as the sensor head on the pH100. If you're on the fence though, just read through reviews on Amazon - either will serve you fine.

Thanks for the info! Think I made up my mind then...my homebrew supplier carries the 110 and I could take the chance for squandering some gift coupons I still have for this shop :) ! wanted just to make sure it is a good meter, so this thread was really helpful!

Back