Perfect pour to piss pour – why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserghost

Reaction score
Having trouble with my pour after switching a new keg onto the same draft line. Here's the rundown: brewed a 10 gallon batch of stout, and put it into kegs, then put them into the kegerator at ~ 42 degrees and carbed at 16 psi for about a week. I connected the draft line to one keg (ball lock) and it was pouring perfectly until it kicked the other day. I immediately disconnected the draft line and connected it to second keg.

Pour went from as good as it gets to super foamy with intermittent sputtering, and not quite as carbed. That last detail makes me think there's a gas leak somewhere on the keg?? Normally, whenever the keg is not being used the line stays full with beer, but in this case the beer is not staying in the line.

This has never happened before, but I feel like it's a leak. Can anyone help confirm my issue?

Most likely culprit is a missing or damaged O-ring under the Out dip tube flange, allowing CO2 under pressure in the head space to be injected into the beer stream under the Out post.

Replace that O-ring and I bet your problem is resolved...

Cheers!

Thanks, I'll take a peak at that – definitely had an o-ring on it. I imagine that would also empty the CO2 tank more rapidly?

If that O-ring was missing or significantly damaged, there's the chance that CO2 could escape via the post threads, I reckon...

Cheers!

Back