Penrose hot sausage recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ottis, you are the man! I've longed for ConAgra to see the light and bring Penrose back, but to no avail. I've now made these a couple times trying to find the best product. For me, Hillshire beef sausage has the right texture and mouth feel and I've tried lil smokies and Eckrich sausages too.

I had a small batch in the fridge and my brother-in-law came up and he loved them too. I just can't say how happy I am to have found this site and your recipe.

i have never done any canning, but im definitely going to do this.. im 25 and i can still remember just how delicious those sausages were. ive searched and searched for a copy, but nothing never stood out like those even the individual penrose sausages were nothing close. so i will venture into making my own.. my grandma and my uncle bought these often and damnit i would eat them all before they could. they should have hid them well! i hope i do this correctly! i will comeback in a week or so with my results :) thank you

ConAgra does still makes pickled sausages under the Penrose name. Not sold in jars tho'. Singles only. Big Mama, Tijuana Mama, and Firecracker.

I'd have never known if it weren't for this thread. And now I am an addict.

i have never done any canning, but im definitely going to do this.. im 25 and i can still remember just how delicious those sausages were. ive searched and searched for a copy, but nothing never stood out like those even the individual penrose sausages were nothing close. so i will venture into making my own.. my grandma and my uncle bought these often and damnit i would eat them all before they could. they should have hid them well! i hope i do this correctly! i will comeback in a week or so with my results :) thank you

I've made two batches of these now. They are delicious, but I'm definitely going to change the sausages I use. Both times I've used "Lil Smokey's" and they just don't absorb the solution enough. I even put holes in the second batch, but no change. I think in the middle of this thread some other sausages were recommended. I'd look for those.

im about to go get the stuff now i have keilbosa i was just gonna do both. imma cut the lil smokies in half to see if that helps!

I highly recommend Nathan's bun length hot dogs.They have a very good texture that reminds me of my beloved Penrose. I cut them in about in three pieces and add some red food coloring .They look better that way and you can tell how much the brine has penetrated. Yes I know red food coloring will kill me,but I'm hoping the processed meat kills me first.

I highly recommend Nathan's bun length hot dogs.They have a very good texture that reminds me of my beloved Penrose. I cut them in about in three pieces and add some red food coloring .They look better that way and you can tell how much the brine has penetrated. Yes I know red food coloring will kill me,but I'm hoping the processed meat kills me first.

I'll try that this wkend. I added a bunch of paprika for color, but I might just add the coloring this time. They need to LOOK like fire.

I have made 2 batches over the last month. Took the last batch into work for everyone to enjoy and got lots of praise. I have used both Hillshire Farms Kielbasa and Johnsonville Beef Brats. I prefer the Johnsonville Beef Brats.

For over a 1/2 hour tonight, I was on the Amazon site looking to buy a box of the Penrose Red Hot Firecracker sausages, but talked myself out of it knowing that I will eat them all and that may not be too good given all the extra things and the type of meat used in them (i.e. mechanically separated chicken, 1200 mg sodium each, etc). But I do remember the Penrose in a jar as I would pick them up years ago in a local Kroger.

I decided to see if I could find a better option or a clone. I wasn't finding a recipe with any rave reviews until I happened to come across this link here.

Some questions if you don't mind answering for those who have done the recipe.

For those of you who have made this repeatedly, did you use the V3.5 method? Would you say this recipe is equally as good as the original Penrose sausage or better? Does the juice have the same type of bite to it - just as good?

Did anyone end up trying the V3.5 method described by putting the spices on top of the sausage in the jars and then pouring the brine in instead of mixing in directly as described in V3.0?

Also, in terms of the coloring with Paprika to get more of that red coloring ( really like to avoid the food coloring), did you find adding a little more does the job or is the measurement just right as is already?

Did anyone try the suggestion of mincing garlic cloves and dicing a white onion instead of using the powders? Did you notice a result/difference?

Tomorrow, I am heading to get some mason jars, and gonna get the ingredient list - can't wait. I hope have time to make them tomorrow or by Saturday. I will be sure to post an update when I get them done.

Thanks!

For over a 1/2 hour tonight, I was on the Amazon site looking to buy a box of the Penrose Red Hot Firecracker sausages, but talked myself out of it knowing that I will eat them all and that may not be too good given all the extra things and the type of meat used in them (i.e. mechanically separated chicken, 1200 mg sodium each, etc). But I do remember the Penrose in a jar as I would pick them up years ago in a local Kroger.

I decided to see if I could find a better option or a clone. I wasn't finding a recipe with any rave reviews until I happened to come across this link here.

For those of you who have made this repeatedly, did you use the V3.5 method? Would you say this recipe is equally as good as the original Penrose sausage or better? Does the juice have the same type of bite to it - just as good?

Did anyone end up trying the V3.5 method described by putting the spices on top of the sausage in the jars and then pouring the brine in instead of mixing in directly as described in V3.0?

Also, in terms of the coloring with Paprika to get more of that red coloring ( really like to avoid the food coloring), did you find adding a little more does the job or is the measurement just right as is already?

Did anyone try the suggestion of mincing garlic cloves and dicing a white onion instead of using the powders? Did you notice a result/difference?

Tomorrow, I am heading to get some mason jars, and gonna get the ingredient list - can't wait. I hope have time to make them tomorrow or by Saturday. I will be sure to post an update when I get them done.

Thanks!

I can't answer most of your questions because I made v2 or something. But I will say the brine is going to satisfy you. The only problem with the ones I made was in the sausage. I used the Lil Smokies. For whatever reason, those don't soak up the brine very well. I would not use those. Also, while paprika did make the brine reddish, it's still not that alarming red that the Penrose was. I'm afraid you'll need to add food coloring to get that.

Thanks!

I've made these numerous times.I prefer the v3.5 method as it is easier to distribute the spices that way. Have only used dry spices but i think they turn out very good.As I said before I'm hoping the processed meat kills me before the food coloring does cause they taste better if they're fire engine red. I think you'll enjoy them whatever route you go.

I've done them both ways. Really can't tell much difference in the end product. Your friends and family will appreciate the v3.5 method as the earlier version will make everyone's nose and throat burn if boiled inside. Most of the spices settle to the bottom after a few hours in the fridge so I would say red food coloring is the only way to get the color. I don't really care what they look like. Taste and texture are my concerns and this recipe gets you darn close. Good luck!

Here is my first batch attempt and I have included some pictures below (see attachments).

A few things I did.

I ended up adding a Picking Salt for the preservation as specified, but then 1/2 tsp of Picking Spices for extra flavor. I also bought a fresh garlic and white onion to mince, but I wanted to try the first batch with the regular spices first to see. I have enough to make a second batch and this time will try adding the fresh garlic and onion to see how that influences the taste.

You will notice vice grips. One of the spices was jammed tight and would not budge after straining and straining. Nothing was to go stop me now :)

I ended up mixing the spices together in a bowl first before pouring in, but it doesn't matter, it was just easy for me to see what I put in and haven't quite yet as opposed to directly adding in the jar. In the end, it's going to mix together regardless.

I used Eckrich smoked sausage (2 packs) and cut in half since they were hot dog bun length. They didn't have Hillshire farm and thought the smokies were too small for my liking.

When I finished pouring the hot base brine in and sealed it, I rocked the jar back and forth end to end to mix the spices very well with the base brine, in doing so I ended up with a nice richer darker red coloring.

I am going to wait a full 7 days before I open and try them. I will be back next Friday 10/7 to give a report :)

sausage1.jpg

sausage2.jpg

sausage3.jpg

I just made the second batch, except this time I minced up fresh garlic and white onion to add. I could tell when I was cutting the garlic that it may help bring out a little more flavor, but I will be able to compare both by next Friday.

Word has already gotten around in the family, my first request to make a batch for them. If this turns out awesome, I may be making some smaller batches and gifting it for Christmas hehe :)

This is a related question to pickled hot sausage, but I was just trying to recall when I first encountered having a pickled sausage. Then I remember in the 80s, there was a red hot sausage you could buy in a package like you see today with Firecracker and Big Mama, etc.

I think it was in a white packaging with blue lettering on the name. Did Frito Lays happen to make a red hot sausage they sold? I tried searching the internet to see if could find a package or wrapper, but can't seem to find what it was. Whatever that red hot sausage was, I thought it had such a great taste as well.

It wasn't until I came across the penrose firecracker that I thought it tasted very similar, but I remember the 80s one being so much better. Anyone recall what it could have been?

Thanks!

3 more days to go unto I can unveil on Friday, need my countdown calendar!

I've done them both ways. Really can't tell much difference in the end product. Your friends and family will appreciate the v3.5 method as the earlier version will make everyone's nose and throat burn if boiled inside. Most of the spices settle to the bottom after a few hours in the fridge so I would say red food coloring is the only way to get the color. I don't really care what they look like. Taste and texture are my concerns and this recipe gets you darn close. Good luck!

Given that these have been in the fridge so far and are cold, would you recommend that maybe I transfer some to a smaller mason jar on Friday with some of the brine and let it room up to room temperature? maybe warm the smaller mason jar in some hot water? or have found the preference is to eat these cold?

Given that these have been in the fridge so far and are cold, would you recommend that maybe I transfer some to a smaller mason jar on Friday with some of the brine and let it room up to room temperature? maybe warm the smaller mason jar in some hot water? or have found the preference is to eat these cold?

Eat them both ways and you decide. I ate mine cold.

I always eat mine cold. I usually ate my Penrose cold also. You may get some greasy texture from the sausages if you let them warm

I unveiled both jars today. Upon opening, they had a very similar smell to the penrose brine, that was a good start. I had two batches. One was made with fresh garlic pieces and onion, where the other was of spices.

Upon trying, it seemed like it came out a little more spicy than expected. I felt that the batch with the fresh garlic and onion was much better.

I may not be used to the taste of these as it wasn't quite exact like the Penrose brine. Some similarities, but seemed like there was something missing. Certainly they turned out well, but I am not exactly sure if I will undertake it again. It just may be that I am so accustomed to the taste of the penrose firecrackers that I notice the subtle difference I am not used to. I am sure if someone hasn't had these in a very long time, they may take to their liking much better.

It was worth a shot, but I may just have to buy the singles unless the recipe somehow gets improved. I enjoyed trying though. Thanks.

Sorry the recipe isn't what you were expecting. I don't think the original penrose hot sausages were similar to the firecrackers you were trying to reproduce.

Sorry the experiment wasn't to your liking. For me, this recipe is as close as I've come to recreating the jarred Penrose I grew up with. I've tried the firecrackers and while good, I prefer these. Give it another try sometime. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Has anyone reheated and reused the brine for a new batch? I make a few batches a month and haven't tried to reuse pickling juice. I don't want to waste sausage if it is better to start with a fresh brew. Thanks!

I used to be a home brewer so I was glad to see this recipe show up in Google when I got the urge to make some pickled sausages of my own. My dad introduced me to these things when I was young and they still call out to me, even now in my 40's.

So far I've made your recipe twice, with a couple variations, mainly due to what I had on hand.

I ended up using Nathans skinless hot dogs for a couple reasons. First is that I really like the texture of what has come to replace the old Penrose sausages- stuff like Tijuana Mama and Firecracker sausages. They are much more like a hot dog than a coarse sausage like Penrose was. Second, is just the fact that they are skinless. I figured that would allow faster penetration of the flavor. They worked perfectly.

The first time I made it I split the recipe between a regular jar and a vacuum container (used with my vacuum sealer) which let me sample them the next night. I let the regular jar sit for a week and there was no notable difference between them. So for the second time I made it (and from now on) I used the vacuum container.

The first time I made it I calculated the split volume of total ingredients since each one was different in size. I'll just include some eyeball totals since I varied things a bit as I went.
------------
Total liquid volume: 3.25 cups. (original recipe calls for 2.5 cups).

I didn't have enough white vinegar so I used:
1 cup white vinegar.
1.5 cups apple cider vinegar.
1.25 cups red wine vinegar (don't do either of the last two- plain white is better unless you want to sweeten things up a little bit.)

The following were added dry directly to each container:

2/3 of a white onion chopped and divided unevenly by eye. I didn't check the volume.

6 cloves of garlic, divided unevenly (I scoff at recipes that skimp on garlic. I always add more.)

1/8th a teaspoon of ghost pepper powder per container. This stuff is the nuclear option and its too easy to melt your own face off so I took it easy this time.

1 tsp (plus a bit more because I like heat) of crushed red pepper per container.

1 tsp paprika per container.

2.5 tsp salt (I only had kosher on hand so I added more to make up for the coarseness.

1 bay leaf per.

I had a little smoked black pepper that I just threw in until it was gone. No idea the amount.
----------
The cooking:

Microwaved the Nathans dogs for 4 minutes and then split them lengthwise with a knife.

I knew these weren't going to be around long enough to worry about going crazy with sterilization so I just brought the vinegar to a simmer. The reason I didn't cook everything together is that I didn't know how bad and or painful the smell of hot pepper being turned into vinegarized pepper spray was going to be.

I filled each container with a whole pack of cooked hot dogs each and the appropriate amount of ingredients. I had to split some of the dogs in half to fit them all in the low round vacuum container.

After I put the hot vinegar mixture into the containers filled with ingredients I let them sit for a bit to let them steam. I wasn't overly concerned with sterilization, but hey, a little bit of caution can't hurt. I would be more careful if I thought these were going to be around for any length of time. Plus vinegar is pretty good at keeping nasty stuff at bay.

After they cooled I pulled a vacuum in one and then stuck them in the fridge
--------

And then I waited.

My first impression was that they were really good and surprisingly close to the Penrose flavor. Unfortunately, since I used Cider and red wine vinegar the result seemed a bit too sweet and fruity.

And they weren't nearly hot enough for my tastes.

All those problems are addressed in the next post I make after I taste them a little later tonight. (Maybe tomorrow if I have too many beers :) )

Alright. Second batch is much better. Here's the recipe that fills a 2 cup vacuum container:

1 cup white vinegar
.25 cup water
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper
.25 tsp ghost pepper powder
1 tsp paprika
1 bay leaf
5 cloves garlic crushed then minced
1/4 of a white onion - medium chop
1 pack of skinless Nathans hot dogs

This time I slit the hot dogs halfway through- lengthwise and then in half across their length. Then mix them and all the other ingredients together and heat them to a low simmer.

While everything is still hot, dump it into the vacuum container (or whatever you're using - I'm just impatient). Put the lid on and wait until it cools a bit. Then apply vacuum if you're using it. Otherwise follow whatever canning protocols you use.

If using a vacuum container be cautious of headspace. Both times I've done this I thought I left enough, but once the vacuum kicks in everything swells up a bit. Both times I've ended up sucking some of the liquid into the vacuum tube from my sealer. So far I don't think anything has made it into the pump, but I can't be sure. Something to keep in mind. Spoon out excess liquid until there's enough space

The result? Nearly perfect. The heat level is probably right for most people. I still want more. I may up the ghost pepper powder by another 1/4 tsp.

Going with straight white vinegar was spot on. These things don't need sweetness to cut the acid. (note: : I HATE sweet pickles so there's that). I think adding less onion this time helped with that as well.

Next time I may add allspice to the mix like in the original- but eh, I like simple. It might be nice to know what it adds.

Has anyone reheated and reused the brine for a new batch? I make a few batches a month and haven't tried to reuse pickling juice. I don't want to waste sausage if it is better to start with a fresh brew. Thanks!

I reused the brine from my first batch from the vacuum container to pickle some hard boiled eggs. I didn't reheat the mixture and they turned out excellent. I should note that I reapplied the vacuum so those eggs were ready the next day.

That brine was around 5 days old once the eggs were gone and had been refrigerated the whole time. I don't think there would be any sanitary concerns within that small window. The acidity of the solution should keep most nasty biologicals at bay. After 2 batches I would start to feel wary. If you're reheating the brine in between and adding more vinegar, even without using a vacuum I think you would also be ok. (lawyer side note: if you get botulism I'm not a doctor or food pathologist so if you die a horrible death you're on your own ;) ) I consider these things something that should be consumed as soon as possible. My methods don't consider long term storage.

For those of you who hate to see all those wonderfully pickled solids from the brine going to waste- use them! I used the onion/garlic/pepper mixture as an amazing omellete addition. You could use them as part of a marinade or even as a component of onion dip.

Don't throw that stuff away. After I use up a brine I drain the old liquid from the solids and add new vinegar to extend the life of all that good flavor.

I tried this recipe a couple of days ago except I used McCormick's grill mates Montreal steak smoked sausage and cut them into three's. I'm excited to see how they turn out. They look very similar to the penrose hot sausages in the jar which I somewhat preferred to the red hot sausages. We'll see! It's very hard not to open the jar yet! Haha

What do you think the difference between the hot sausages and red hot sausages are? Even though I do like hot food a lot I personally preferred the hot sausages to the red hot.

Mine were sealed so I left them out pickling for a week and only refrigerated them after I cracked the seal. I prefer them warm before having to refrigerate.

I think it's a southern thing. I'm from Nashville TN and have eaten them since discovering them when I was a kid in the 80's.

I pickled some McCormick grill mates Montreal steak smoked sausages and they were great!

Ottis, you are the man! I've longed for ConAgra to see the light and bring Penrose back, but to no avail. I've now made these a couple times trying to find the best product. For me, Hillshire beef sausage has the right texture and mouth feel and I've tried lil smokies and Eckrich sausages too.

I had a small batch in the fridge and my brother-in-law came up and he loved them too. I just can't say how happy I am to have found this site and your recipe.

The second time I tried this I bought Johnsonville beef hot links and they were perfect! I suggest following these directions ,but use these sausages. They seemed almost exactly like the penrose hot sausages I used to buy when cut into three's. Mmm... good!!! They are all beef and seemed to soak up the brine after 3 or 4 days very well. I have another jar waiting for when I finish these. I will be making these for the rest of my life. Thank you so much!

I'm sure Hillshire farms hot links are probably the same ,but my kroger was out of those. So Johnsonville hot sausages it was and I cannot express how perfect they were!

Yeah, I don't like the firecrackers near as much as I liked the penrose hot sausages in the jar and when I used the Johnsonville hot links it was perfection! I'm sure hillshire farms hot links are the same. Perfection!

Back