Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No much of a barrel room. Barrels are fun :)
Looks like mesohoppy has cherried in carboy. I used to love watching the fruit float & sink, float & sink...

It is way more of a barrel room than I currently have! Getting my hands on a 5 gallon barrel is where I plan to start.

So far I've just played around with Brett and love it. I think I'll start with something simple and controllable like a crisp kettle sour to start and then go from there. Pasteur knows I've got enough empty carboys hanging around! My biggest issue is not having stable temps in the space I have for brewing and living in a reeallly cold place!

Whoah buddy. Next time I'm in AVL can I come hang out with your barrels? God I love AVL. I'm getting married there in April (technically in Candler) and we're doing a beer tasting/bottle share for the cocktail hour. Wanna bring a barrel?! ;)

I actually live in Candler near Mt Pigah toward end of Pisgah Hwy. C'mon down & we'll pull some nails!! If you'll be at pisgah view ranch you'll be right near me. Small world

It is way more of a barrel room than I currently have! Getting my hands on a 5 gallon barrel is where I plan to start.

So far I've just played around with Brett and love it. I think I'll start with something simple and controllable like a crisp kettle sour to start and then go from there. Pasteur knows I've got enough empty carboys hanging around! My biggest issue is not having stable temps in the space I have for brewing and living in a reeallly cold place!

Even dwarves start small. I started with a 3 gallon, then a coupla 5 gal, then 15 gal, and finally the trip to KY. Just now getting back in the sour game after many years. Around 2008-2011 i went sour overload & was turned off for years. Dont overdo them.

Now I ask...why are your carboys empty that's so sad lol. Heater, temp controller & insulation asap

American Sour recipe from Tonsmeire with ECY01. Brewed last April, Apricot added in September. This was a 15 gallon batch split three ways. 5 gallons got dregs from JP Bam Biere and SP Fuzzy in addition to ECY01. The 5 gallons with the dregs was stable with a pleasant tartness at 5 months so it got bottled. The other 10 gallons got some fruit to chew on. They haven't been much to look at until one of them decided to build this mountain in the middle.

IMG_4229.jpg

Even dwarves start small. I started with a 3 gallon, then a coupla 5 gal, then 15 gal, and finally the trip to KY. Just now getting back in the sour game after many years. Around 2008-2011 i went sour overload & was turned off for years. Dont overdo them.

Now I ask...why are your carboys empty that's so sad lol. Heater, temp controller & insulation asap

Good advice! And probably more realistic to say they are empty because of time and my friends really like to drink my beer 🤘

American Sour recipe from Tonsmeire with ECY01. Brewed last April, Apricot added in September. This was a 15 gallon batch split three ways. 5 gallons got dregs from JP Bam Biere and SP Fuzzy in addition to ECY01. The 5 gallons with the dregs was stable with a pleasant tartness at 5 months so it got bottled. The other 10 gallons got some fruit to chew on. They haven't been much to look at until one of them decided to build this mountain in the middle.

That is a thing of beauty!

I actually live in Candler near Mt Pigah toward end of Pisgah Hwy. C'mon down & we'll pull some nails!! If you'll be at pisgah view ranch you'll be right near me. Small world
Small world indeed. We're getting married at The Farm on Justice Ridge right off Hwy 19. I'd seriously love to come check your setup out when I'm back up that way, I know I'll be up soon to get the marriage license (and need to pick up some WW for the bottle share). I'm crazy curious about your candi stuff.

One of the lambics in my "geuze experiment." This weekend I checked in on all 4 carboys of lambic (two at 2 years 3 months old, one at 1 year 8 months old, and one at a year and 2 months old). I can't wait to blend and bottle in the spring/fall!!!

View attachment 385910

Um, I really don't think the label is necessary, haha :D

Beautiful! What kind of flavors do you get out of the ciders with brett and bugs?

A few years ago, I found a local place that offers unpasteurized cider, but this year they had an issue with the barn their press is in and were selling pasteurized cider from another local producer. I've let their unpasteurized cider go with just pectic enzyme and nutrient added (no added yeast) in past years and have gotten a bone dry, funky cider. Reminds me I need to crack one - haven't had one in a while.

TBD on this batch, not ready to bottle so I just racked it to a carboy for some more aging. It's cleaner than the unpasteurized wild cider was at this point tho (no sulfur aroma, cleaner taste).

Thank you for the description...What kind of time frame for you leave them for?

8-12 months - they probably could have been bottled earlier, but some combination of patience, forgetfulness, laziness, lack of empty bottles, etc leads to a longer time in the fermenter ;)

The one with no added yeast probably benefited from the full 12 months, but other batches with commercial yeast added finished sooner.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154418006162901&substory_index=0&id=194198312900
Interesting side by side of same strain in separate juices. From the link:

"The R&D team at White Labs is all about experiments that advance our fermentation knowledge. Here are two pellicles created by a strain of Pichia kluyveri (from a native isolation) that was inoculated into both red and white juice for a wine experiment. Groovy and ultra-beautiful, right? #PellicleMonday"

You got a recipe on your sour mead? I got some 1g glass carboys laying around and some honey to use.

Thanks

Pretty basic:
- 2.4 lbs of honey + 1 gal water (OG 1.080)
- Pitched ECY34 Dirty Dozen, staggered nutrient additions (at pitching, 24 hrs, 48 hrs, and 1 week)
- Primary in a small bucket and racked to carboy after ~2 months, bottle when ready

15hfr6.jpg

Brett pellicle. One gallon Saison -- one week Belle Saison, then four weeks so far of Brett (unknown strain) built up in a starter from Cerebral's Dreamy Thing (which means it probably got some of Cerebral's house Saison too).

2e0ivqu.jpg

This is a sample of a Belgian dark that spent four days with S-33. Then I pitched some dregs from Cerebral's Monochrome Brett Grisette that was woken up with a bit of lukewarm water in the bottle and then pitched the dregs directly. Strictly experimental just to see what it would do, hence the one-off volume. Pellicle on this is weird. Not sure if it's Brett that got too much oxygen but the wort was done fermenting or what. Not seeing a lot of fermentation, but getting a thicker pellicle. May cold crash it soon, let it carb up, and taste it side by side to see what differences I get from the base batch, for education's sake ;)

Not sure if it's Brett that got too much oxygen but the wort was done fermenting or what. Not seeing a lot of fermentation, but getting a thicker pellicle. May cold crash it soon, let it carb up, and taste it side by side to see what differences I get from the base batch, for education's sake ;)
looks like there is a lot of air in that second experimental batch. should taste fine and sounds like a great way to learn, but be aware that along with brett character (should any be perceptible after only 4 weeks), you might also get some oxidation and/or acetic from brett + O2.

This is the first time Ive had a good one. It started off as a spontaneous ferment experiemtn, but that didnt work out. So, now it's mishmash of wild stuff, roselaire, bottle dregs, and t-58 I think? Who knows at this point. I had trouble getting it to kick off and just started adding stuff. Smells good though.

20170222_175041.jpg

I actually backsweetened the cider with a strawberry raspberry purée and let that ferment out until I liked the mouthfeel then kegged and it's currently in the keezer chilling

My first sour - ECY04 only 3 weeks into fermentation
nice pellicle!

suggestion: seal that bucket up and don't open it again, or transfer that beer to a smaller carboy to cut down the head space. looking at that picture, i personally would be concerned about oxygen exposure.

17632137_796625063846349_2277544834635276323_o.jpg

Picture of the pellicle on my first sour. 7lbs of wheat LME with 2oz of cheesy old Crystal hops and started with US-05 then soured with dregs from a bottle from Paradox Brewing. It's currently sitting in a bottling bucket that I opened up the other day to add 2oz of Citra hops for a dryhop before I bottle it.

Thoughts?

I discovered this in a fruited Gose (just acidulated malt, no lacto). Letting it ride. Smells and tastes great.

20170415_121259.jpg

Neighbor discovered a little surprise in one of his carboys. 10gal of a euro style Lager(ish). This was brewed in January. One carboy shows no signs of infection...the other looks like this. I'm guessing some sort of Brett???

Smells great, told him to let it ride on some blood orange puree until summer sour drinking season. Looking forward to trying it.

C8WE90WVYAAbpyq.jpg:large

Back