Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Farmhouse Rye Saison Pellicle at 4 Months at 1.002 OG.

14963580_10207117808454945_1027091902_o.jpg

Nice read, good luck!

I had two different fermentors with different specimens which were grown up off of herbs in an open field. Both taste similar with big peach, little banana, Brett funk and then that lambic chalkiness.
I didn't expect them to be this good or flavourful, definitely going to be using the culture for future beers.
It seems like the biggest factors are hopping to inhibit over sourness and then keeping little headspace in the fermentor to inhibit acetobacter.

This thread has me less worried now. Saison that was in primary first with wlp565 then Brett B for a month. (Also got some oak and orange peel for a week). Transferred to a Carboy for secondary. This is 6 weeks in secondary. I was worried the floaters of orange pulp had molded in the air. Maybe that is in fact what it is but since it was reading approx 9% alcohol and it had Brett in it, I won't panic. Right??

IMG_7466.jpg

This thread has me less worried now. Saison that was in primary first with wlp565 then Brett B for a month. (Also got some oak and orange peel for a week). Transferred to a Carboy for secondary. This is 6 weeks in secondary. I was worried the floaters of orange pulp had molded in the air. Maybe that is in fact what it is but since it was reading approx 9% alcohol and it had Brett in it, I won't panic. Right??
the alcohol & brett won't protect pieces of fruit floating above the beer because, uh, they're not in the beer. that's why floaties on the surface mold.

that being said, although the quality of the pic isn't great i don't see anything alarming there.

you could always top up with a little more beer, get the level of the beer up into the neck and limit how much O2 is in there and how much of it is exposed.

the alcohol & brett won't protect pieces of fruit floating above the beer because, uh, they're not in the beer. that's why floaties on the surface mold.

that being said, although the quality of the pic isn't great i don't see anything alarming there.

you could always top up with a little more beer, get the level of the beer up into the neck and limit how much O2 is in there and how much of it is exposed.

The fruit and oak was added in primary and in a grain bag. Particles would have had to make it through the bag and the siphon tube also so I don't know for sure that that's what it is. It was just the first idea I came up with to explain why there was mold on the surface of my beer. Did not know to expect this but after researching and seeing all these pictures I feel better. Although a guy from a local facebook group posted that his Brett bottles were popping and it aged 3 months in secondary before bottling. So I think I'll let mine sit a while

my second sour. an old english Ale sour with pitched dregs from a local brewery. currently on red wine soaked medium oak cubes, and will add tart cherries in the spring when they're available!

old Ale Sour.jpg

Not sure if the pic is going to work, but it comes with a bit of a question. This is actually on day 3 of a kettle sour with OYL 605 (I think... it's the lacto blend). Black sour, grain bill was 12 lbs 2 row, a pound of Caramunich, and 14oz midnight wheat. Later became heavily dry hopped and turned out amazing, but I was unaware that kettle sours made that serious of a pellicle. I don't have another photo to show how thick it was, but let's just say it wasn't that thin haha. It mostly dissipated by the next day, as well, which is when I pasteurized it. Any other examples of pellicle in a kettle sour?

View attachment 1481743760062.jpg

Not sure if the pic is going to work, but it comes with a bit of a question. This is actually on day 3 of a kettle sour with OYL 605 (I think... it's the lacto blend). Black sour, grain bill was 12 lbs 2 row, a pound of Caramunich, and 14oz midnight wheat. Later became heavily dry hopped and turned out amazing, but I was unaware that kettle sours made that serious of a pellicle. I don't have another photo to show how thick it was, but let's just say it wasn't that thin haha. It mostly dissipated by the next day, as well, which is when I pasteurized it. Any other examples of pellicle in a kettle sour?

Looks more like yeast to me. Did you take the picture before or after you pasteurized it?

Before, that's literally just the wort out of the tun with OYL 605. I actually had it split into a 5 gall and a 3 gall to hold my full pre boil volume and they both had it pretty similar

It wasn't my first time using it either, actually, and I've never gotten anything like that before this

Das Wunderkind & Biere de Miel. No more JK in my bottle stash but seriously thinking about drinking the Funkwerks Oud Bruin I've been holding onto for over a year so I can pitch the dregs of that one in too!

Das Wunderkind & Biere de Miel. No more JK in my bottle stash but seriously thinking about drinking the Funkwerks Oud Bruin I've been holding onto for o we a year so I can pitch the dregs of that one in too!
JK dregs are beastly as hell. I pitched dregs from two bottles into one gallon of a saison I pulled off before racking to fruit and it had a gnarly pellicle in about a week.

No much of a barrel room. Barrels are fun :)
Looks like mesohoppy has cherried in carboy. I used to love watching the fruit float & sink, float & sink...
Whoah buddy. Next time I'm in AVL can I come hang out with your barrels? God I love AVL. I'm getting married there in April (technically in Candler) and we're doing a beer tasting/bottle share for the cocktail hour. Wanna bring a barrel?! ;)

Nice, what is it?

Looks like mesohoppy has cherried in carboy. I used to love watching the fruit float & sink, float & sink...

Its my second try at a cranberry sour (first batch got dumped, mouthfeel was way to thick, and too sour). I am new to brewing sours, so i wasn't trying to go for a specific style; just trying to make something drinkable.

I don't have my notes in front of me. But I do remember I blended it and added the cranberries early august. I checked the FG prior to bottling and its been stable since October. Was surprisingly very clear and tasted good. Primary yeast is some repitched saison, a little bit of abbey, and almanac bottle dregs. When I tasted yesterday, I didn't detect any of the saison-y characteristics (or abbey). Its amazing what the almanac dregs can do. ive done 4 batches so far, and used almanac dregs everytime as its easier to just buy a bottle from the store then call the LHBS and wait. Although, im thinking that is what I will do next time to see the different results.

My favorite part about clear carboys is seeing the fermentation/re-fermentation action. I'll never get bored of starting at it!

Back