Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belgian Blonde with what I believe to be a Brett Pelicle. I got a little careless and used this bucket for a Brett Saison the batch prior to this one. Not what I was hoping for out of the blonde, but it's tasting pretty damn good. I racked a gallon off onto some ECY Bug County for the hell of it.

Nice!

By the way, not to digress, but, how well do yeast cakes from sours work when you rack fresh wort, or wort off primary yeast cake? Kinda curious. Just bought my first ecy01 culture. Would love to try some bug country if there is a way to trade or something

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Nice!

By the way, not to digress, but, how well do yeast cakes from sours work when you rack fresh wort, or wort off primary yeast cake? Kinda curious. Just bought my first ecy01 culture. Would love to try some bug country if there is a way to trade or something

Depends how old they are. And What strains are present. But sacch is usually inactive after a while

So if when I'm done with my ECY01 ferment, and if I want to re-pitch, I'd have to add a sacch yeast along with the washed(?) "yeast" cake? This stuff seems rather precious and difficult to obtain and would hate to rinse it down the drain. Waiting on oldsock's book to read up on this stuff

Nice!

I'm not entirely sure myself, to be honest. I'm fairly new to brewing with bugs. I'm definitely interested in trading some down the road, though. I'm planning on letting the gallon with the Bug County go for at least 6 months, but when I have something to send I'll let you know and we can work it out from there.

I got some ecy20 yeast cake. They have had a few beers on and a bunch of dregs. They sour things pretty quickly. Be happy to trade.

Hi all,

Great thread! I've brewed and am fermenting a flanders red and a lambic (pics below, the lambic is the one in bubble wrap).

Do you good folk reckon I've anything to worry about from these pics, in terms of the pellicle on the flanders red - lambic pellicle barely visible due to the crud in the carboy. I've oak chips in muslin bags in both - the one in the lambic ended up getting mold around the outside of the carboy neck (cleaned off with vinegar), reckon I should whip them out or snip open the muslin to keep oak in there? I really want to inoculate the wood with with the bugs...

Cheers!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399980741.196629.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399980761.093390.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399980781.524977.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399980795.849228.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

[ QUOTE=Wingston75;6125050]Hi all,

Great thread! I've brewed and am fermenting a flanders red and a lambic (pics below, the lambic is the one in bubble wrap).

Do you good folk reckon I've anything to worry about from these pics, in terms of the pellicle on the flanders red - lambic pellicle barely visible due to the crud in the carboy. I've oak chips in muslin bags in both - the one in the lambic ended up getting mold around the outside of the carboy neck (cleaned off with vinegar), reckon I should whip them out or snip open the muslin to keep oak in there? I really want to inoculate the wood with with the bugs...

Cheers!

View attachment 199167View attachment 199168View attachment 199169View attachment 199170

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew[/QUOTE]

I would be concerned about the top not being sealed. (Too much oxygen and other stuff potentially getting in there.)

[ QUOTE=Wingston75;6125050]Hi all,

Cheers!

View attachment 199167View attachment 199168View attachment 199169View attachment 199170

I would be concerned about the top not being sealed. (Too much oxygen and other stuff potentially getting in there.)[/QUOTE]

sorry for not being clearer - to clarify, they're both sealed with a red carboy cap (and either associated white hoods for both outlets, or an airlock. Do you think that having the muslin bags would still result in too much of a gap for unpleasantness to sneak in?

Yes

EDIT: I've used clean, plain dental floss tied around the knot of the muslin bag, leaving the end of the floss outside the fermenter. You can use glass beads/marbles or stainless nuts to keep the bag fully submerged in the beer that way too.

Yes

EDIT: I've used clean, plain dental floss tied around the knot of the muslin bag, leaving the end of the floss outside the fermenter. You can use glass beads/marbles or stainless nuts to keep the bag fully submerged in the beer that way too.

thanks.

they're both kinda floating up to the top. In the case of the flanders, it was floating on the surface, then it became submerged under the surface. However recently I noticed it had come to the surface once more. I'm wondering f it may be better to remove the oak chips submerged in these beers, removing the muslin bags to wash, sanitize, etc. anf then replace with new oak chips. What do you think - nbetter than removing from the muslin and carboy and plopping into the beer? sounds like a safer option...

I would be concerned about the top not being sealed. (Too much oxygen and other stuff potentially getting in there.)

I agree!

ditch the muslin bag, either free-chip or just remove it entirely. ditch that carboy cap as well, and use a solid rubber stopper if fermentation has stopped, if not a vinyl tube blow-off tube. Check out the better bottle website and look under permeability to see why this is important. Looks like you still have a (?wild?) fermentation going? While you're doing this, might be a good time to take a gravity and taste sample. That muslin bag is acting as a wick for critters to get in and out.

TD

I agree!

ditch the muslin bag, either free-chip or just remove it entirely. ditch that carboy cap as well, and use a solid rubber stopper if fermentation has stopped, if not a vinyl tube blow-off tube. Check out the better bottle website and look under permeability to see why this is important. Looks like you still have a (?wild?) fermentation going? While you're doing this, might be a good time to take a gravity and taste sample. That muslin bag is acting as a wick for critters to get in and out.

TD

eeps - sounds like i need to get me some more bungs and a wine thief. I'll try and get new chips in there as I do want to try and innoculate them for future use... Thanks for the advice!

This is what is on top of my 1 gallon berliner weisse that has been aging on raspberries for about 2.5 months. Holy cow this beer is amazing. We are bottling it today, putting 3 more gallons on raspberries, 1 gallon apricots, 1 gallon on kiwi, and 1 gallon strawberries.

WP_20140521_001.jpg

This is what is on top of my 1 gallon berliner weisse that has been aging on raspberries for about 2.5 months. Holy cow this beer is amazing. We are bottling it today, putting 3 more gallons on raspberries, 1 gallon apricots, 1 gallon on kiwi, and 1 gallon strawberries.

I'm thinking about doing a Berliner Weisse tomorrow. What's a good yeast for the primary fermentation? I don't have any German Ale yeast, but was thinking about using US05 or Nottingham, and then adding a smack pack of Roeselare for the Lacto & Brett Lambicus, which I think are both in there (Pedio too I think). That is a strange looking pellicle you have there. What organisms did you end up using?

TD

I'm thinking about doing a Berliner Weisse tomorrow. What's a good yeast for the primary fermentation? I don't have any German Ale yeast, but was thinking about using US05 or Nottingham, and then adding a smack pack of Roeselare for the Lacto & Brett Lambicus, which I think are both in there (Pedio too I think). That is a strange looking pellicle you have there. What organisms did you end up using?

TD

We are using lactic starters from grain and no boil, so whatever bugs were on the grain and in the starter caused that pellicle, that is what we got on our secondary pretty consistently, hadn't seen one exactly like that before.

We didn't even use sacc in our second as the lacto from our starter was fully converting on its own. Traditional Berliner doesn't have brett or pedio.

Some lovely pics from beers in progress. The first two are a "Berliner Weisse" + Brett C. The third is of an oud bruin after 10.5 months.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401335271.583690.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401335279.447384.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401335287.278153.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401671817.949100.jpg

Ok admit its a crap photo. This is the follow up to the first pic. I racked into a secondary (and it's only half full cause all the trub from primary) pellicle forming.

Bottled this gose this morning which i fermented with a homemade lacto starter. It didnt have a pellicle until a couple days ago and i just noticed it this morning. I took about 6-7 gravity samples over three months, and i think this last one was the oxygen concentration tipping point. I'm glad i can finally post here though :D

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402011601.249251.jpg

So I was brewing a berliner weisse and I guess the lacto got back in the beer from using the same tubing after boil. Kegged half the batch and threw the other half on some black berries and its really taking off :)
204537d1402259079-berliner-pellicle-imageuploadedbyhome-brew1402259043.176290.jpg

Bottled this gose this morning which i fermented with a homemade lacto starter. It didnt have a pellicle until a couple days ago and i just noticed it this morning. I took about 6-7 gravity samples over three months, and i think this last one was the oxygen concentration tipping point. I'm glad i can finally post here though :D

So i just checked these bottles and they all have a film/small pellicle type layer on top in the neck of the bottle. Anybody had this happen before? that just doesnt seem normal.

Someone said I might have some brett in there too? Could this be true?! This is from a sour mash that mashed for 75ish hours.

So I was brewing a berliner weisse and I guess the lacto got back in the beer from using the same tubing after boil. Kegged half the batch and threw the other half on some black berries and its really taking off :)
204537d1402259079-berliner-pellicle-imageuploadedbyhome-brew1402259043.176290.jpg

Hmm, thanks for the responses guys. I just didnt think that would happen in the bottle, but Im also not sure about my reasoning as to why it wouldnt haha

Do they drop out when you fridge them, or is it just gonna look funky until I drink the dang thing?

I've got them in my gose bottles too. Haven't dropped yet, in storage or in the fridge. Just adds a couple chunks to the end product, haha.

I've got them in my gose bottles too. Haven't dropped yet, in storage or in the fridge. Just adds a couple chunks to the end product, haha.

Haha Im just glad this is normal. my stomach dropped this morning when I saw all the bottles were like that and I thought id be dumping them.

Haha Im just glad this is normal. my stomach dropped this morning when I saw all the bottles were like that and I thought id be dumping them.

Why would you dump them? They're sour already!

From what I understand, the pellicle forms from exposure to oxygen. It protects the lacto (and pedio, and brett) so they can do their work, allowing no-one else in. The small air-filled head space in the bottles can develop a mini pellicle, the same way.

My two small batches of Brett Saison that I bottled a few weeks ago have developed pellicles as well. At first i freaked out, but I did some research on this site and saw that it's perfectly normal. A lot that I read said that most times it either goes away on its own after time or falls out after being chilled in the fridge. Sometimes it just doesnt go away. So i chilled one for a few hours and then drank it without the pellicle falling. Couldnt tell any difference.

Just spent about an our looking at photos of sour beers fermenting... I am horrified, yet intrigued at the same time. New to brewing, but would love to try to make a sour. I have both my carboys tied up at the moment, but in about 2 weeks ill have one available and i just might give it a try. Great thread!! I learn more every day on HBT! :D

Back