Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393161010.076957.jpg pellicle on a farmhouse ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sir,what a perfectly formed bunghole you have!

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

My latest Oud Bruin's been going 7 months and never really got a pellicle. Just a few big bubbles that last a while and turn a little opaque. I've done at least 15 sours and never had this happen. Not concerned just :confused:

Sour with blackberries just shy of one year. The second one is a three month old sour pitched on the older ones yeast cake after seven months.

1394970340586.jpg

1394970481182.jpg

Pellicle on my Flemish Red with Grapes at 19 months after brewing. Started 3 gallons of a Westvleteren 12 clone diluted by half and pitched with stepped up dregs from and Oude Kriek and WLP530. 6 lbs of concord grapes added at 1 month and left for 6 months then transferred off grapes and dregs and left. Bottled today. Pellicle and liquor.

Flemish Red 3:16:14.jpg

Flemish Red Pellicle 3:16:14.jpg

Flemish Red Pellicle 2 3:16:14.jpg

Was planning a couple days of souring and a boil but can't get myself to do it now. 11days...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395207883.701017.jpg

100% brett sour blonde ale. Fermented with Brett B, C, L, lacto, pedio, and some dregs. It's at about 17 months right now. I never open this freezer because it's my "sour tank" and makeshift beer cellar...I opened it last week to get something special to drink on my birthday and the sun was shining in through the garage windows. It struck the carboy just right. I figured I'd better get a picture or two.

P1030907.jpg

P1030909.jpg

IMG_20140325_064154_zpsndl6cxkc.jpg

6 month old lambic - striaght wyeast lambic blend

IMG_20140325_060250_438_zpsta93o5ey.jpg

IMG_20140325_060309_560_zps0ax1j4f5.jpg

this is a brown that is roughly the same day the above was brewed, but had an old roeselaire cake i split into each of these... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pellicle on my Flemish Red with Grapes at 19 months after brewing. Started 3 gallons of a Westvleteren 12 clone diluted by half and pitched with stepped up dregs from and Oude Kriek and WLP530. 6 lbs of concord grapes added at 1 month and left for 6 months then transferred off grapes and dregs and left. Bottled today. Pellicle and liquor.

186393d1395016303-pellicle-photo-collection-flemish-red-3-16-14.jpg

Is that a tiny wine glass, or do you have giant hands? :confused: :cross:

ps. It sounds absolutely delicious! Any tasting notes?

Is that a tiny wine glass, or do you have giant hands? :confused: :cross:

ps. It sounds absolutely delicious! Any tasting notes?

From memory at bottling:
Appearance: see pictures
Aroma: sour with hints of fruit, not clearly grape
Taste: Strong but not sharp acidity, bright fruit, minimal maltiness but noticeable Brett complexity, finishes with slight bitterness and a hint of astringency which has been decreasing with time.
I'm imagining when it gets some bubbles I'm gonna love it.

I think that is all for now. Will report back later.

As for size (which apparently matters), it is a tiny glass. ;)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398114642.049031.jpg
First sour brew. KBS split batch in half. This half got roeselare blend. Racked onto dregs from almanac dog patch, cascade, and prairie.
HUGE amount of trub!! About 5-6 INCHES!

Just found the thread and love it. I got 25 different pics for my background. I thought I would add to it. I have 3 sours all in secondaries and all from re-pitching again and again onto the same Roeselare microbes.... I am not getting great pellicles in my secondaries, but with the winter and me losing heat I think they suffered.

My 6 month old pseudo-lambic with a variety of dregs from a sour party. The flash makes it look white, but it is more powdery and almost translucent. pH is at 3.38 but I heard it takes a dip while pedio is making the beer sick. Tastes very good, nicely sour.

330_zps94a88b94.jpg

My 5 month old with dregs from sour party 2. Second generation Roeselare yeast. Not as sour as the 1st generation, but it has 1 month less after commerical dregs were added. The pH is a little higher at 3.92.

327_zpsa9646d54.jpg

My 4 month old with just RR Temptation dregs. Third generation Roeselare... This just left primary because I needed it for an all Brett C IPA. So I haven't had time to taste it or take a pH reading.

323_zps43f1d9cd.jpg

Some nice brett strains built up for my wifes brew this weekend. An all Brett Black IPA using Pilsner as the base malt. Gotta love a wife that loves funky beers and brewing them :)

1398823402108.jpg

Belgian Blonde with what I believe to be a Brett Pelicle. I got a little careless and used this bucket for a Brett Saison the batch prior to this one. Not what I was hoping for out of the blonde, but it's tasting pretty damn good. I racked a gallon off onto some ECY Bug County for the hell of it.

FzS0fpTl.jpg

Latest posts

Back