Pectic enzyme during primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy1998

Reaction score
Okay, my cider has fermented down near the SG that I want. I'm going to halt fermentation by pastuerizing so I added the directed amount of pectic enzyme which resulted in a foam volcano. Yes, yes I'm an idiot; I should have done this before I pitched the yeast.

So will the pectic clear it up or did it likely all spew forth in the volcano? I don't think it should otherwise affect the batch but I'm interested in other opinions.

Hmm, volcano immediately or after the pectin enzyme was actually mixed? If the former, I'd say you probably lost half or more of it. It will clear to some degree, but probably not all the way without a little more help.

the longer you bottle condition, the clearer it will become. But yes, for best results, enzyme for pitching yeast. All is not lost though, bottle condition in a cool environment for as long as you can hold out for :)

Latest posts

Back