Pear Cider Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnels977

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am pretty new to the forum and to cider making. I had a question about a recent pear-apple cider that I attempted.

Back in mid September I started three experimental 1-gallon batches of cider.

Batch 1 was a Pumpkin Cider - Apple juice, guts of a pie pumpkin
Batch 2 was just apple - Apple juice and AJC to raise ABV
Batch 3 was apple-pear - 1/4 gallon pear juice (no preservatives), AJC to raise ABV, and filled the rest of the way with apple juice

All batches used Safale S04.

Batch 1 fermented quickest (assuming because of lower sugar content) and turned out amazing. My friends already drank all of it up, minus one bottle.

Batch 2 turned out alright. Very very very tart, but at least it tastes like it could become good. I have been leaving that to age.

Batch 3 is what I am unsure of. It does not have the tartness of Batch 2 in any way, which was surprising since the only difference was the pear juice. At first taste, it seems like it is ready. Then about 5 seconds later you get hit with this unpleasant aftertaste that reminds me of orange rind or the inside of an old banana peel. It's almost funny because you think it's good until that aftertaste hits you. I gave a sample to my fiancee and her response was "Mmmmmmm.... mmmuhhh nevermind."

So my question for those more experienced with perry and pear cider is: Is this normal? Will it age out? Or should I toss it down the drain?

I wouldn't toss it yet. Give it 6 months to a year. However, I will tell you that I have had very bad results with my 2 pear ciders and it is hard to find anything on HBT about a successful one. Regular pear juice doesnt leave much good residual flavor after fermented it seems.

I've found the only thing pear is good for is more alcohol.
Straight dry perry tastes like a brandy.

Back