Peach Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeHumanizations

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing and would like some advice one my First self made recipe

Lalvin D47
Yeast Energizer/Nutrient (SNA)
pectic enzyme
10 pounds of peaches in primary: frozen (multiple times?) thawed, and diced
15 pounds wildflower honey
water to 5 gallons (before fruit)
20 raisins
5 Tsp ginger
5 pounds of peaches in secondary: same preping

After fermentation:
Bentonite (to clear)
Potassium metabisulfite (to sanitize and prevent oxidation)
Potassium sorbate
More honey to back sweeten (unsure on amount)

i plan on doing this in about 2 weeks.

I'm new to home brewing and would like some advice one my First self made recipe

Lalvin D47
Yeast Energizer/Nutrient (SNA)
pectic enzyme
10 pounds of peaches in primary: frozen (multiple times?) thawed, and diced
15 pounds wildflower honey
water to 5 gallons (before fruit)
20 raisins
5 Tsp ginger
5 pounds of peaches in secondary: same preping

After fermentation:
Bentonite (to clear)
Potassium metabisulfite (to sanitize and prevent oxidation)
Potassium sorbate
More honey to back sweeten (unsure on amount)

i plan on doing this in about 2 weeks.

I personally think you are on your way to a good recipe.

D47 with SNA's will be a good wine yeast as it won't blow off all of your fruity esters, but I personally would leave all of your fruit to be added in secondary.

Also know that it will take awhile before this has a great taste. I would count on at least 6-8 months. If you are looking for a mead that won't take as long to mature, you could try copying the BOMM recipe that loveofrose has on here. I've also found Belle Saison to be a good yeast to make a good, quick cyser so it may work well in a peach mead as well.

I'm also not sure if 20 raisins in a 5-6 gallon mead are going to really add anything. Are you looking to add tannins with the raisins? Or for some other purpose?

I was planning on adding raisins for tannins

I would leave them out for now then, and if you really feel that it needs tannins or acid blend after it is done fermenting you can always get the powdered form from a homebrew store.

The first homebrew I ever made was a mead from the little purple brewing book. It had me add all kinds of acid blend and wine tannin and champagne yeast and it was hands down the worst thing i've ever made.

I agree, put all fruit in the secondary, use 12 pounds. Raisins? Well, you can leave them for a little body but I personally would leave it out.

I would think about oaking it with 1 oz of lightly toasted oak as it is clearing and for about 2 weeks prior to bottling.

Don't use powdered ginger. Ginger is so powerful you may only need 1 oz.

Put your fruit in a mesh bag for easy removal. Also, I like putting the Oak chips or cubes in a hops bag, again for easy removal.

I did a Peach Vanilla Nutmeg that was very good. I also did a Peach Spearmint that was very good too.

Don't worry about sanitizing the fruit. However, if you plan on backsweetening it your Potasium Sorbate would be great.

Matrix

+1 on the oak if you want to get a little crazy for your first batch. I think a light to medium toast french oak would go great in a peach mead.

Being your first batch, once you are done with the batch as a whole, before bottling, you could always split off some into 1 gallon carboys to try some variations with oak or cinnamon or what have you.

I've made a couple of lower abv sparkling peach pyments (Mrs Fuelish likes lightly sparkling) using several lbs of honey, white grape peach juice (just grapes and peaches, no apple or pear in the background), maybe a lb of iqf peaches in primary and a couple lbs iqf peaches secondary.....comes out right nice in a few months' time, nice summer sippin' :cool:

I suspect that older recipes included raisins less for any tannins they may possess and more for the nutrients they would provide the yeast but if you are adding nutrient then those raisins may be unnecessary and simplicity always trumps unnecessary complexity, in my opinion, when it comes to wine making...

Back