Pasteurizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-west

Reaction score
Made a cyser, completely fermented dry and its carbonated in my keg right now. I want to add AJ concentrate like ive done in the past.

The kicker, is I want to get it out of my keg and into bottles to make room for a beer I need to keg.

Here is my plan. Dump a couple cans of AJ concentrate into the keg, purge it, mix it, counter pressure fill the bottles, cap on foam and pasteurize.

Sounds like it will work right?

I brew beer so I have keggles and burners, so it wouldn't take long to do the bottles. I've just never done this and want to make sure im not wasting my time if its going to make the cider taste funny. If its that much of a pain I might just go get another keg!

Oh I almost forgot. What about potassium sorbate? Is there a way to add that to what I have already, maybe mix it in with the AJ concentrate, dump it in the keg, purge, shake, let settle for a week, and pour the first few pulls down the drain?

Add potassium sorbate and metabisulfite (or Campden). I would mix the chemicals in a small glass of cider to be sure they dissolve. Wait a day, and add your concentrate. Bottle from the keg. No pasteurization will be needed.

Add potassium sorbate and metabisulfite (or Campden). I would mix the chemicals in a small glass of cider to be sure they dissolve. Wait a day, and add your concentrate. Bottle from the keg. No pasteurization will be needed.

Seconded. This is what I do when I keg and backsweeten my cider. It avoids the hassle of having to watch bottles and figure out when to pasteurize.

Just make sure you're using the correct amount of k-meta and k-sorbate. You'll also need to re-carbonate the cider in the keg after adding the stabilizers and fajc so it's carbonated at bottling.

Success!

It lost a tiny bit of carbonation, but it was probably for the better now that its a little sweeter. Tastes amazing, cant wait to give some out.

Also first time doing my own labels and adhering them with milk!

Turned out great, trial and error showed me that laying out 6 labels face down, misting with milk and them applying them to the bottles was the least messy.

0108171601a_HDR.jpg

Back