pasteurizing for a wine kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10borderline11brew

Reaction score
ok here is the background info. being a local blueberry farmer the brewstore down the road, would like me to make them some wine kits for selling at the store. we are planning on putting the juice into the wine bladder bags. but my main concern is killing off bacteria and wild yeast. potassium metabisulphite is used to keep the yeast inactive for a certain amount of time, but what if the kits sit for a while? will they start fermenting? i could do pasteurization but would that get rid of a lot of flavor of the blueberries?
any advise would b greatly appreciated. thanks

Freeze the juice and keep it frozen until sold. No fermentation or spoilage or taste loss. K-meta before freezing as a anti oxident.

I dont know if i will have the resources to use a freezer. The store that i would sell to only has a very tiny freezer and thereisnt a lot of in the store itself. Would a heat pasteurization harm the flavor? I have never done a lot wine. thanks

Don't have a good answer for you but local orchards around here use UV pasteurization and cider makers buy their pressed apple juice for making hard cider. UV pasteurization does not involve any cooking of the juice and so there is no problem with setting pectins or boiling off flavor molecules. Heat treating denatures many organic compounds...

Back