Passow's First Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Finally bit the bullet and did a meed. I settled with the famous Apple Butter Cyser recipe but modified it with even MORE fermentables just to make it my own. Here's the pics from brew day and beyond! Enjoy and feel free to comment!

All the ingredients laid out for the Apple Butter Cyser meed! LOADS of fermentables!
meed1.jpg

Couldn’t get the blow-off tube into the stopper..so what’s a inventive homebrewer to do? Cut off the bottom of an airlock and stick the blow off tube onto that!
meed2.jpg

Pouring the Orange blossom Honey into the carboy.
meed3.jpg

Hmmm…I’m left with a half a gallon of apple juice in a glass jug…what should I do…
meed4.jpg

BUY MORE APPLE JUICE AND MAKE MORE MEED!!! This is a fun recipe that I just winged off the top of my head.
meed5.jpg

This is what the carboys looked like at inoculation.
meed6.jpg

And this is what they looked like 36 hours later. Had to empty the blow-off bucket three times so far.
meed7.jpg

Go yeasties go!!!
meed8.jpg

Just checked out the recipe and noticed the calculations make it a 20% + ABV drink! I'm seriously considering this recipe for my first mead, it looks mighty tasty.

edit: will this really get down to 1.008?

Just checked out the recipe and noticed the calculations make it a 20% + ABV drink! I'm seriously considering this recipe for my first mead, it looks mighty tasty.

While possible, I don't think it's very probable. Most likely it will end up fairly sweet, which isn't a bad thing. A 20% mead will essentially be rocket fuel for years until it mellows out.

24% accourding my my calculations ;). I've streassed yeast way past the point of where they are supposed to die, so I'm crossing my fingers (used a yeast that goes up to 20%). Probably won't get down to 1.008, but there's always hope. :mug:

While possible, I don't think it's very probable. Most likely it will end up fairly sweet, which isn't a bad thing. A 20% mead will essentially be rocket fuel for years until it mellows out.

I tried it on Sunday........AMAZING tasting, but ya, rocket fuel. I was planning on aging this one for a year plus.

Latest posts

Back