Passive/slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstowe81

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced a relatively passive fermentation with the Safbrew wb-06 yeast? It's been 5 days and no airlock activity, however I can turn off the lights and shine my cellphone light on the side of the pail and see what looks like a krausen ring line. Here are some details: Pitched dry yeast at a bucket thermometer temp of 68 degrees,
Ambient room temp is about 61-63 degrees, 2 days in the bucket: temp raised to 71, now the bucket temp has been holding at 64 degrees. Second brew, should I be concerned?

That's not all I posted!!!

I said, I shook the bucket for 3-5 minutes, nothing scientific.

Thanks again!

Buckets don't always seal tight. I've got a batch right now that never had a single bubble from the blowoff tube. The lid is covered in krausen mess though so it certainly fermented.

This is a completely different experience from my first brew! I've made 2 batches of beer in 3 weeks and can't wait to taste and try and start again.

Could be a few of things. As was stated earlier, your seal may not be right, or you may have just missed the airlock activity, etc. Was your OG reading at or close to what your goal was before you pitched? Do you have a thief so that you can get some brew to take another reading without exposing your batch to too much oxygen? It seems like the internal temp went up so I would think that would be from a good ferm.

My OG was 1.042, slightly lower than what the recipe predicted, but it was Brewers Best version of a partial mash and I was having problems keeping the grains stable at 155 degrees while steeping. Most likely lost some sugars in that adventure. I have the mortgage, dog and two kids brewery setup so I've been using a turkey Baster to draw samples... Not proud of that one.

Lots of people use a turkey baster. Aside from the fact that it costs $2 vs a $9 wine thief, there is very little difference in function.

The only thing to be ashamed of is not brewing beer.

The gravity is declining. I just took a reading of 1.012. So I'm relatively in the clear! Going to let it condition for 2 weeks then bottle it!

Back