Passion Fruti in a Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been on vacation and I've been eating a lot of passion fruit. It's got an interesting flavor to it. It's a little bitter and a little sour but the flavor is very strong. It reminds me of kiwi, orange, melon, and lime all mixed together.

Has anyone used this stuff in a beer? I've been thinking a Saison would work well with this. Any input?

s/b fruit. Damn tablet.

Hmm..looks like I'm blazing new trails. I am making my Saison next weekend. I'll split off a 3 gallon portion and secondary on top of a few passion fruits. I'll scoop them out and soak in vodka for a day or so, then dump it into the fermenter.

I will report back.

Good taste!

I made a "passion fruit" wheat and American-style amber before and both were great successes with my friends and family. However, I used Nelson Sauvin hops for the wheat and Galaxy for the amber to get my "passionfruit" aromas. They work very well except I find the sauvin hops add too much of a grapefruit flavor aswell.

Please let us know how your experiment with real passion fruit turns out.

I lad I work with is doing the same thing as I type,only he is souring the wort with Lacto Brevis prior to Saison yeast and passionfruit

I had a passion fruit IIPA at Wicked Weed in Asheville that was phenomenal!!! I've done quite a few fruit beers and I would say that you should go for at least 1 pound of fruit per gallon, even with something as strong as passion fruit.

OK - thanks. My Saison is 100% Amarillo, plus I add some bitter orange peel. I think the Passion Fruit will blend with that pretty nicely. I'm not really a fruit beer guy, but as soon as I tasted the passion fruit I thought 'I have to add this to a saison'.

OK - thanks. My Saison is 100% Amarillo, plus I add some bitter orange peel. I think the Passion Fruit will blend with that pretty nicely. I'm not really a fruit beer guy, but as soon as I tasted the passion fruit I thought 'I have to add this to a saison'.

Hey, any updates on how this turned out? I'm looking to do a passion fruit and rhubarb saison. Any tips for me? How much passion fruit did you use?

Check out Jonathon Wakefield Brewing Florida weisse. Seems like thats right up his alley. Never had it but hear good things........

Back