party pig, tap-a-draft or 2.5 gal keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
Which would you get? Cost is a little of an issue and storage space is a def issue, no fridge to keep a full 5gal corny in so between the pig, tap a draft and 2.5gal which would you get and why? My 40th birthday is coming up and would like to treat myself. Anyone who has had any of the above if you could give your thoughts as to pros/cons it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using 3 gallon corny kegs for my beer (getting 6 gallons out so I fill two with each batch). If you're going to keep to 5 gallons out then I'd go with the 2.5 gallon kegs.

I have set up a 10 cubic foot fridge (freezer on top) as my beer fridge. Its set up to hold four kegs with three taps through the door. The freezer holds my hops. Using gas bulkheads I can feed CO2 from outside the fridge. This means more room for beer kegs in the fridge. :D

No experience with the party pig, but I started with a tap a draft and now have several 5 gallon kegs. I would absolutely go the 2.5 gallon keg route. The co2 refills for the tap a draft are pricey and you go through them quick! Figure at least two cartridge per gallon served. My 5 gallon co2 tank cost less than $20 to refill and has lasted for at least 8 batches of beer so far and going strong. Even though the initial cost is higher, I would strongly recommend going to the 2.5 gallon system. Works better and will be cheaper in the long run. You also cut your brew time in half because you can force carbonate.

So anyone else have thoughts on this thread? How about is there a difference between the 2.5 with the metal handles that adventures in homebrewing has and the half sized corny kegs that northern brewer has?

Back