"Mixer tap" for blending beers and carbed beverages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyPeeps

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've been thinking a lot about how useful it would be to be able to blend kegged and carbed drinks at the tap - and out of the same tap.

There are lots of reasons you might want to blend:

I'm sure many of us have experimented with making beer cocktails post tap - by simply filling a glass with varying quantities of different beers from their respective taps - and this can yield some interesting results.

Cutting down the abv and body of high gravity, densely hopped beers with de-aerated carbed water or hop water for packaging in order to effectively double the capacity of my fermentation vessels like the pros do, is one of my main interests here and that would need to be done pre-tap to keep oxygen out.

Its not rocket science to design a system with a liquid manifold and y splitters that would allow you to do 50/50 mixes from 2 kegs:

But it would get very complex very quickly to get multiple blending ratios over multiple kegs, and still you would be locked to 75/25 etc with no real granularity.

I'm wondering if it would not be possible to adapt a standard kitchen sink hot/cold mixer tap/faucet.

Possibly their principle of operation (lots of small holes for hot and cold opening and closing to create the blend) could cause nucleation problems with the CO2 and start a foam party

Any plumbers or people with a better understanding, any info would be much appreciated.

Stay curious y'all

Ozzy

Possibly, but I think I would be looking at ball lock valves.
It's how I make my mixing taps ;)
IMG_20230227_100343519.jpg

Possibly, but I think I would be looking at ball lock valves.
It's how I make my mixing taps ;)
View attachment 813788

How much control do they give you over the ratio spread of a blend?

Obviously it's not linear with the positions of the handles and you are in the dark as to real percentages - but can you manage to get a satisfactory level of control?

What do you use them for?

That's a crazy diameter of pipe!

Sorry, didn't make that clear.
It's my water supply. 1/2 " c-pvc.
Painting the walls, so the sink is removed.
I figured something like that would work if you find the right pipe.
Then a tap/valve after the first 2, so they can stay in position once you find the right mix

Back