Parts washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballz

Reaction score
I was looking at a 20 gallon parts washer on harbor freight and was wondering if any one has used one of theses to clean brew equipment.

Parts washer are really meant to clean greasy mechanical parts using chemicals. I don't think you'd want to use one to clean your food grade brew equipment, there could be a lot of contaminants like oils and grease in the unit from the machining process that could really be toxic.

Do you think even if I bought one brand new and never used it for parts before

It would be fine to clean brew equipment in. They don't come filled with greasy crud; that gets added later.
A parts washer is basically a powdercoated steel sink with a lid and a filtered recirculation system.
Though I wonder why you wouldn't be better off using a utility sink and add a recirc pump if you wanted to reuse your cleaning solution.

I picked up a giant industrial steel sink 2 bay big enough to fit 4 half barrel kegs in on craigslist for 100. You can find some good deals if you look.

Latest posts

Back