Partial Mash vs All Grain...a taste difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srpratt

Reaction score
Hey all. Just started all grain brewing and thoroughly enjoy it. Question though: how would you describe the taste difference between the two? I have never compared two similar recipes...so, from the experienced ones, how would you describe the taste difference in your own words? Aroma vs taste vs flavor vs hoppiness vs etc.

Thanks!

I have found a marked improvement, BUT I only did one PM out of 10 batches, and it was only my second attempt at brewing. although I just had my second bottle of an all grain version of the PM recipe I did. I noticed the color is lighter, I did however change up the hops in said recipe.

With a good process, the only noticeable difference would be a slight color difference and the perceived dryness; that is, how far the FG dropped due to having complete control over your mash details as an all-grain brewer.

Imagine you have an all-grain IPA at 5 SRM and 1.009 FG...

With a converted recipe, a partial-mash brewer might be able to hit more like 7 SRM and 1.013 FG.

Many say they can't tell (with good process) if a brew has extract in it. Fine. I can. Personally I don't buy the 'good process' argument. It's condescending. Basically "if you can taste the twang, then you screwed up", is the basis for the argument. I've made damn good beer with extract, but I've made even better beer going all grain. My results may not be typical. My statements aren't a knock on extract brewers or brews at all. Like I've said, I've made and enjoyed them. But for me, I enjoy my AG batches much more. :mug:

Personally I don't buy the 'good process' argument. It's condescending. Basically "if you can taste the twang, then you screwed up", is the basis for the argument.

No it's not. It has more to do with the brand of extract you're using and the time you add the extract to the boil, as well as your mashing process.

Using all of your Coopers Hopped LME at boil start and mashing 3 lbs. of grain for a dry beer at 155 F

vs.

Using 1/2 of your Briess Light DME at boil start and 1/2 at boil finish and mashing 6 lbs. of grain for a dry beer at 147 F

(The latter example will be a better beer)

No it's not. It has more to do with the brand of extract you're using and the time you add the extract to the boil, as well as your mashing process.

Using all of your Coopers Hopped LME at boil start and mashing 3 lbs. of grain for a dry beer at 155 F

vs.

Using 1/2 of your Briess Light DME at boil start and 1/2 at boil finish and mashing 6 lbs. of grain for a dry beer at 147 F

(The latter example will be a better beer)
I agree - and the supplier/quality has a lot to do with it. Fresh DME as a base makes a decent beer, and if you get "twang" you likely have cheap/old extract. When I started judging in the early 90's you could easily tell an extract beer but now there are far more opportunities for "divergence from style" in other areas.

Would I be able to tell a difference? I think I would side by side. Gone however are the days where an extract brewer had to settle for "that taste."

Fewer boilovers. Extract foams like crazy.

I think attenuation is perhaps the biggest factor...you control the mash profile and thus have more control over the body/attenuation profile of the finished beer. Plus, subtleties from choosing awesome base malts instead of flavoring with specialty grain.

Gold medal beers have been made with extract, some commercial brewers use extract for high gravity beers.

PM gives more control over recipe, AG, maximizes control.

I'm actually doing an extract in a couple of weeks, looking forward to a short brew day after doing two consecutive triple decoction bocks.

IMO, great fermentation control has more impact than how you make your wort. It's less sexy, but brewers make wort, yeast makes beer!

I have 3 all grain batches under my belt now, and can't tell a huge difference. 90% of my extract brews used the lightest DME I could use with specialty grains. Tastes were good then, and they taste good now.

Honestly, the only reason I went all grain was to make oatmeal stout.

I might be in the minority, but I can ALWAYS tell when someone hands me an extract homebrew. Perhaps it's that most extract brewers don't do full boils or get the chlorine out of their water, but once I went all-grain that extract twang left the building...

I might be in the minority, but I can ALWAYS tell when someone hands me an extract homebrew. Perhaps it's that most extract brewers don't do full boils or get the chlorine out of their water, but once I went all-grain that extract twang left the building...

I only sense it if a poor process and subpar ingredients were used. Most new brewers rely mainly on extract brewing so there is that correlation of following kit instructions, taking shortcuts, and overall just not having much experience.

In Extract IPAs, you come across further issues with less than optimal attenuation, darker color, and low hop utilization if the brewer chooses to do a partial boil. In something like an Extract Oatmeal Stout, you just are not going to get the same level of malt complexity as an all-grain or partial mash brewer.

I've been a certified judge since 1995 I think. You are apparently better than I and the judges I know.

I can taste faulty process, I can taste chemicals, I can detect defects that can only come when doing extract, I can taste defects from bad/old extract, but I can't ALWAYS tell you when a beer is an extract.

Latest posts

Back