partial mash flavor problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malcontent40

Reaction score
It seems whenever I do a partial mash(2 gallon cooler 4lbs. of grain) about a month after I bottle my beer develops a bitterness to it. It almost seems like it is going stale but it only gets a little bitterness and it doesnt get worse. You cant smell it either. And of course it is more pronounced in the lighter beers I have brewed this way(a cream ale and a pale mild ale). Is it maybe the wort is splashing too much when I run off oor do I need to increase my boil time from 60 to 90 minutes?
Thanks for any help

Depending on how your sparging these grains or at what temp you could be extracting harsh tanins that will give a very bitter taste in some instances. Just a thought.

I thought that as well. I just do a slow run off in to a measuring cup recirculate a few times and drain the cooler. I refill the cooler with my sparge water and let it sit for 5 minutes. I even lowered the temp of my sparge water to 160 F . The Beer tasted awesome for about 2-3weeks after priming then this bitterness occured. The bottles seem sealed well.I store them in the basement in the dark at 65 F then throw them in the fridge when Im ready to drink.

What is your mash pH and what does it get to during the sparge? If it gets too alkaline, you will extract tannins.

My thought is that your water has a lot of bicarbonates maybe. I'm new but I have kid of experienced this too. When my beer is green it tastes fine but as it ages there is a little of a harsh bitterness coming out. It could be from the tanin's too but I haven't exceeded any limitations with the ph and temps so I think I have it narrowed down to the water for myself. i also just cooked up my first all grain. Maybe it is also just an extract twang?? I guess I'll know soon. Those are my thoughts, but I am only on brew number 6 so.....

Maybe it is my mash ph. I never tested it . I always use bottled water which I thought was kind of neutral. What kind of numbers do I have to stay under?
The only other thing I can think it may be is when I chill the wort . I use an imersion chiller that I put in the last 5 minutes of the boil to sanitize. But when I am chilling the wort I do stir it kind of vigorously. Maybe I am getting some DMS from oxygen in the hot wort?

are u moving the carboys any after fermentation? i remember readin in palmers book that even handling the wort improperly can cause oxidation to the final product. maybe oxidation can be ur problem? just a thought.......

From what I know, your target pH is somewhere around 5.2 I don't know the answer to your main question however. :(

Thanks for the help. Its a tough one I know. Since I didnt have this problem when I did extract with grains Im thinking of looking into my mash ph.

Back