Faster Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've made some reference to this method in other threads, perhaps it should have it's own.
Many of us love all grain brewing, but sometimes we lack the time for a full brew day. Extract, steeping grains and partial mash can make great beer in less time. Often partial mash beers are done with a modest mash, then boil and late extract addition. My method reverses that, but requires two vessels. I generally mash for about half of my gravity points. First I heat the whole water volume to strike temperature. At the same time I grind my grains and put them in a bag inside a cooler. Then I add enough water to the cooler to reach mash temp and cover it. The flame is off at this point, so I add the extract and stir well. Then continue to a boil. After hot break, I start my hop additions. I only boil for 45 minutes, so that's the time of my bittering hop. Half an hour later, I mash out right into the kettle. The mash was also about 45 minutes because of the time to get up to boil and past hot break. Return to boil and get a second hot break, complete hop additions, flame out and chill as normal. This whole process takes me about 2-1/2 hours for a five gallon batch. If you are particular you can adjust your hops for your lower volume, but I don't. The point of this method is to make a quicker brew while still mashing. Have fun!

It sounds like a pretty solid plan.

What is it that prevents you from moving to all-grain BIAB? Is it the extra time required? Lack of equipment or heating capacity? I just ask because these days BIAB has reduced the entry into all-grain brewing so low that I tend to think that partial mashing is really only a good fit for special cases (like a extract beer made with Flaked Oats or Corn). I usually count on about 3.5 hours for a full 5-gallon BIAB with a 60 min mash and 60 minute boil...but I am sure I could reduce my mash time with most grains and I often do 30 minute boils.

I usually do all grain BIAB too, though some might say that using the cooler to mash in isn't pure BIAB.
This method is only when I'm pressed for time. I also occasionally do extract batches with steeping grains or a mini mash. Whatever it takes.

Sounds good. I am not against partial mashing, I am just curious how and why people use it these days. I have been debating about putting out an article or a video on partial mashing...likely about using partial mash to make an NEIPA. I find that 90% of the times I hear somebody talk about "partial mash", they really just mean "steeping grains" but I think there is a place for both Extract w/ Steeping Grains and Extract w/ Partial Mash. I feel like there might be a bigger place for a "BIAB w/ Extract"...which is almost the same a Partial Mash but with more focus on getting fermentables through the mash. I also occasionally see recipes that involve steeping flaked oats or flaked wheat, and that just seems like a bad idea.

If it is just about time, I know that Brulosophy put out a lot of "Short and Shoddy" articles about brewing beers with short mashes and short boils. (I am a huge Brulosophy fan, but despise that series of articles myself.) For somebody that wants the control and variety that all-grain offers, but wants to save time, that does seem like a potential. It does assume the brewer has equipment to quickly heat and cool a full size batch.

A little background: There was a recent topic over in the "Extract brewing" forum where OP talked about a shorter brew day indoors using DME/LME and a 30 minute boil.

As the topic progressed, approaches for shorter boil times, including "15 minute cacade pale ale" topic were mentioned - along with @JohnSand 's recent recipe where he mini-mashed munich for 20 minutes in a small cooler.

Back