Parti-gyle(2nd runings) results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameadrat

Reaction score
Since I've been brewing since 1973, I think I have some experience. this is a discussion of my results in second running. First I a cooler brewer. I have two boiling kettle, a 30 qt and a 20 qt. So I do a second every time I brew my all day IPA(4to 5 % apv). My all day IPA is 13.5 lbs Maris Otter and 2 to 2.5 lbs
carapils with 15 gallons of water passing through my cooler in total. My First brew using the 30 qt kettle(LK) produced 1.071 after cooling. The 20 qt(SK)
produced 1.021. Combing the LK & SK gave me a beer at 1.049.

My second brew of the same recipe but filling the SK first yielded 1.083 after cooling and the LK yielded 1.025. Combined I got 8 gallons at 1.050.

Now I changed my recipe to make a hop slam clone. I up the grain to 18 lbs MO and 3 lbs cara pils. Only change was to 16 gallons of water passing through cooler. On this brew I did a real second beer whose purpose was to check what would happen when I added table sugar at the beginning of the boil.

Filling the LK first and before adding honey to make hop slam I got 1.091 and
the SK at the start of boil after first hop was 1.033

I added 1 lb honey to LK as I separated from trub and before cooling. The result was 1.094 before adding yeast. The small kettle had 2 lbs sugar added
at start of boil when cooled yielded 1.061.

the SK was an experiment to see when to add sugar in a recipe. It yield a carmel flavor and tastes good at this stage. I also oaked about 1/2 gal of the SK with Dark toasted French Oak. At this time it is displaying an oak and smoke flavor.

Now understand I am NOT interested in efficiency so your results might vary to mine. The 2 lbs of sugar will give me a seven percent beer. It is obvious from the data that most of the sugar comes out early. I use that to pull my alcohol down to an all day drinkable purpose. However you can use this to pull
in my case, a small kettle first and get a 1.083 beer to make a hop slam or in my case a barley wine. and add some sugaring agent to the LK parti-gyle

Back