Pappy Wan Winkle. Worth the price?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhitch1

Reaction score
Figured i start the first thread in this brand spanking new forum.

This is more geared towards the people who've had it before.

Is 12 worth the $100 price tag?

Is 23 worth the $800-1000??

I feel as though sometimes "hype" has a huge role in these sort of things.

For me, not worth it, but then again $100-$1,000 for a bottle of liquor is not my thing though. My pallet isn't refined enough to appreciate the qualities behind it, but I'd definitely buy a glass to see what the hype was all about. Maybe part of it is the fact that somebody can say they have a bottle of it on the shelf, or that they can appreciate the attributes of a fine bourbon. It's like the person that finally gets a rare or only limited production of beer. Half the fun is in the quest to get it and holding it in your hand, the other half is enjoying it either by yourself, or sharing with friends that can appreciate the flavors/aromas/rarity associated with it.

Also, cheers to being first poster!

I had a bottle of the 20 year Pappy. Hands down the best whiskey I've ever had. That bottle lasted about 5 years. (id drink it only for special occasions). I'd pay a c note for it again.

You can get the 12 year Van Winkle Special reserve for about 70.00. This however is not a "Pappy."

Pappy Van Winkle comes in 15, 20 and 23 year. 15 costs about 85.00, 20 about 160.00ish. And the 23 goes for 350.00. All prices retail. I have tried all 4. The 20 is hands down my favorite. 23 year is to oakey.

Prices can fluctuate quite on the secondary market and even some retail because sellers like to capitalize on the hype. Also, Pappy is a wheated bourbon giving it a distinctively smooth flavor. IMHO it is excellent and worth it once a year. I currently have the 12,15 and 20 in my collection. If you want something similar but much cheaper, go for Old Forester's Birthday Bourbon. Limited once a year release that will cost just 50.00.

I have tasted Pappy 20 a couple of times. The last time about a year ago. It was very nice indeed.

But this story is about a 12 year old Jim Beam. I went to a yard sale and there on a table was this bowling pin. Except it was really a bourbon bottle. Jim Beam 12 year bottled in 1981. Some special commemorative thing. Maybe you've seen them around.

They had a $5 price tag on it. Seal, of course, was broken. I opened it and realized that although the seal had been broken, it was still full. I screwed the top of the bowling pin back on and locked my hand around it to make sure no other yard salers grabbed it.

Not wanting to seem eager or an easy mark, I offered them $3, casually, nonchalantly.

We settled for $4.

I had a bottle of Rebel Yell I had bought for making eggnog and had been sipping on what was left. The Jim Beam was head and shoulders better in every way. I sipped it sparingly. Then took it to a friend's who had a bottle of Pappy 20 on hand. Which is why I can talk about 12 year old JB in this thread.

What was most surprising that night was not how wonderful the Pappy 20 was. It was. What was surprising was how well that JB stood up to it. No, it wasn't quite as wonderful. But almost. Seriously and rather incredibly. Big, smooth, full, easy. The best $4 I have spent at a yard sale? I'd say so.

Moral of the story: keep your eyes peeled for bowling pins at yard sales.

I got two bottles on Christmas eve for $60 each. Definitely worth what I paid as it is so damn tasty and smooth. However I do not think it is worth the $500 + people are asking on CL for the 12

I had a bottle of the 20 year Pappy. Hands down the best whiskey I've ever had. That bottle lasted about 5 years. (id drink it only for special occasions). I'd pay a c note for it again.

agreed. Maybe even two bills. a grand? no way.

I think that's tough for anyone to decide other than you. I got to try the 20-year from a generous soul at a local bottle share (beer-focused, but other things occasionally showed up). So, disclaimer, I am FAR more of a beer drinker than a liquor drinker. And I wouldn't generally spend run-of-the-mill top-shelf liquor prices, let alone what Pappy goes for. That being said: Was it good? Absolutely. Far and away the best bourbon I've ever had. Would I myself buy it even at retail prices? Not unless my financial situation were SIGNIFICANTLY better. And even then I might be a little hesitant. But if you're a serious bourbon drinker, it MIGHT be worth it to you. Only you can really say.

Van Winkle bourbons are very good and unfortunately there has been a crazy spike in the price over the last few years. I live about 25 miles away from where it is bottled (Buffalo Trace) and used to be able to get it at the local liquor store just about any day of the year. The $40 12 yr old VW Family Reserve was my go to bourbon for a number of years. Now I am lucky if my buddies at the liquor store hold a single bottle from their allotment.

Is it worth the hype and price, I would probably say no, but I still buy any bottle I can get at retail prices because I will either drink it or I know that my friends will appreciate the opportunity to get their hands on a bottle. Will I pay secondary market pricing? Absolutely not.

Here is the story with the 20 and 23 year old Van Winkle along with the old 19 year old Weller, the original batches of William Larue Weller and even the 18 and 19 year old Jefferson, which is not a Buffalo Trace brand, at least as far as what I have heard in Kentucky. NONE of those are Buffalo Trace booze. Yes, all but the Jefferson have ben sold by BT and the NEWER stuff like the 12-15 year old batches are NOW BT, but the really old and really expensive stuff was all made at the old Stitzel-Weller distillery. Supposedly, the batch that made up 18-19 year old Jefferson somehow got sold to someone else when BT took over. BT did not own the Weller brands until they bought Weller from Diageo in 1999. The still don't own Van Winkle, but they make it....well, some of it. The Van Winkle company has technically not actually distilled a drop of hooch....ever. Van Winkle the Elder was originally an employee and then the owner of Weller, which bought the Stizel distillery The stuff was made by Stitzel Weller briefly before the Prohibition and brought back in 1972 by the family and still made at Stizel Weller. The funny part is that I have heard that the original Van Winkle was NOT a wheated bourbon, but a traditional bourbon with rye in the mash bill, so the post 1972 recipe is almost certainly pure Weller. None of these were produced by BT until 2002. Mr. Van Winkle the Current says that the 2013 batch may be the last of the stuff that everyone is gong after, the 23 year old because it is pretty much all gone. The point of all of this rambling? About the time that BT took over is when you started seeing those "wine bottle" type bottlings of exclusive Wellers, ert. The 19 year old Weller was the first that I saw and between my entire family, we managed to find one bottle after I bought the first one here in Florida. We searched here and in Kentucky and came up dry. The current 18 year old William Larue Weller is not quite as good. but still damn good, so you guys can grab that stuff. My brother has had some of he 20 year old Van Winkle and said it might have been as good as that old Weller release. The Jefferson Presidential is portly about the same as the 18 year old WL Weller. I think that after that first 19 yr old release, somebody realized that they weren't charging enough for that fantastic leftover stuff that they had ben playing with in the back of the warehouse for a number of years. So now we have 23 year old Van Winkle selling retail for $200+ and on the "open market" for thousands. Is it worth $200? Maybe. $8000? NFW!!!

For my bachelor party, we went to Louisville for the weekend, making a stop @ Woodford Reserve. My buddy brought along a 20yr Pappy for some of us to drink before we go out for the night, and while we can still appreciate the drink. Here is where sin happens. He pours a small amount for another buddy of ours, who takes a sip, then pours in some soda. The guy who brought it **** a brick. Good times though. The guy who diluted the Pappy ALSO (years before) did the same when poured some Blue Label.

Im more of a scotch/Irish whiskey drinker, but Pappy 20yr was fantastic. Would I ever pay for a bottle though....nah

Back