Palisade hops and London ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
I think it will be beer. Suggestions welcomed. Anyone use Palisade?

Amount Name Type #
6.00 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM)
4.00 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) (2.0 SRM)
3.00 oz Black Barley (Briess) (500.0 SRM)
8.00 oz Invert Sugar No. 2 (35.0 SRM) (Add toward end of boil)

0.70 oz Magnum [12.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.50 oz Palisade [7.5%] - Boil 30 min
0.50 oz Palisade [7.5%] - Boil 5 min

1 pkgs London ESB (Danstar)

Mash Profile:
Single Infusion, 150F, 60 min, Batch Sparge
Style: Strong Bitter (11C)
Batch Size:
5.50 gal
Color: 12.8 SRM
Bitterness: 43.1 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.054
Est FG: 1.015

I use it in combination with Citra and Centennial in my house IPA. Very good and floral, although can get drowned out pretty quickly if you don't use a lot of it. Very delicate, IMO.

I use it in combination with Citra and Centennial in my house IPA. Very good and floral, although can get drowned out pretty quickly if you don't use a lot of it. Very delicate, IMO.

Thanks. I know everyone's taste buds are different, but one description I found while searching was floral as in "like drinking an old lady". Delicate, as you describe, is also used. How much do you use in your IPA? I want some between not enough and old lady. :)

Thanks. I know everyone's taste buds are different, but one description I found while searching was floral as in "like drinking an old lady". Delicate, as you describe, is also used. How much do you use in your IPA? I want some between not enough and old lady. :)

I use 2oz at 1 minute and another 1oz in the dry hop. It accounts for half the total flavor/aroma hop addition.

I think it's missing some crystal. Probably medium since you are adding black malt, unless you want to go darker on the crystal and drop the black. I'd go 5% to 9% on the crystal for an ESB.

That said, I've heard that the Danstar ESB finishes sweet because it cannot metabolize maltotriose, so you may not want to go too high on crystal.

I haven't used Palisade, sorry. EKG is a favorite for the late hops for me.

Good luck.

brewing_clown
That's exactly why I'm not using crystal. I searched the board for reviews of the London ESB yeast and found its a very low attenuator. The general recommendation was to mash low and skip or use very little crystal malt. Also, the use of invert sugar was suggested.

So, occasionally, I'll play around in Beersmith and create what I call place holder recipes for future development. Evidently, this recipe started as one of those place holder recipes. The problem is the equipment profile was my old propane system and not my current electric setup. Because of this, I added too much water and had to boil for an additional 14 mins to get close to my final volume and gravity.
Because of this little oversight, the IBU of this beer was increased to around 57. It's the details that kill ya.
Other than that, it was a good brew day.

After 5 days, the gravity is down to 1.016 as predicted. That's an attenuation to 65%, which lines up with the reviews of the London ESB yeast. I highly recommend a blow off tube with this yeast. Nearly had a disaster on day 2 with krausen bubbling out of the airlock.
The sample was clear with a slight sweetness. The flavor was fruity like a sweet apple cider. Looking forward to the finished product.

Would "crushed violets" describe? It's a quality I enjoy in more subtle pinot noirs, and beaulolais - the gamay beaujolais grape generally, if done well. Intrigued by your experience of this hop.

Three weeks later, I finally got around to kegging the beer. It gained one more gravity point for a FG of 1.015. The flavor was still good. I'll wait for final judgment until it's carbed up. One thing I noticed was an overwhelming peach aroma from the fermenter as I transferred.

Back