Pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicbrew2011

Reaction score
How long should I have my pale ale in it's primary fermentation stage? Is two weeks about right or Is one ok before I keg it and let it age?

I prefer to give it at least 3 weeks (actually, I prefer 4, but that's not entirely necessary), but you'll probably be OK with two. One might be pushing it. Take a gravity sample and see if it's done fermenting. If it's at your target FG, give it a couple days and check again. If it hasn't changed in that time, you're fine to keg.

you need a homebrewing book and a hydrometer in order to know when to transfer it.

The most sure way to know is by testing with a hydrometer, and then test again in 3 days. If the hydrometer has not changed, then fermentation is done and you can transfer to the keg.

Another way is to let it sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks. It will definitely be done by then.

Thanks for the info it's really helpful. Just did an all grain brew of a pale ale, and it was no cake walk that's for sure : )

Back