Paint strainer bag for transfering beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmad2000

Reaction score
I am not sure if anybody has mentioned this but i use my "old" 5 gal paint strainer bags for "filtering" my wort when i rack or pour from my boil pot to my fermentor (bucket). It helps get rid of alot of the hop debris and also aerating the beer. So far i havent had any infection problem.

I do the same with a strianer. helps in aerating at the same time. I wouldn't use it to strain at any other time though due to the oxygen that is added in the process.

A paint strainer bag is fine for filtering, but as stated, only when you plan to introduce oxygen.

They work well as dry hopping bags as well, and in that case you are not pouring beer through them.

One note on contamination/infection, a mesh bag is a perfect way to contaminate your wort even if you didn't get a full blown problem (yet). I steam any of these bags that are going to be used post-boil to ensure that nothing is lodged where sanitizers didn't/couldn't contact properly.

I soak the bag in starsan usually for at least a few min or more often during the whole brewing process. If there was any gunk stuck it would get saturated with starsan. I then put it in the bucket fermentor and sanatize both by spraying starsan. There is usually 1/2 cup or so of starsan in each brew.

I did the same with my last three brews. Have the bag sitting in the strainer fitted into the carboy. Wife holds one side and I hold the other as I pour from the boil pot. Use a 10 minute Star San soak before the pour. Works so nice. Should have thought about doing this years ago.

Back