Pacific Jade / Pacifica / Citra APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmop520

Reaction score
Going to be brewing this in a week or so, looking for advice on the hop schedule! Modeled my schedule after a few seen in the Jade IPA thread.

10lb Two Row
1lb Wheat Malt
0.25lb Crystal 40

75- 0.25oz Pacific Jade
15- 0.5oz Citra, 0.5oz Pacific Jade
10- 0.5oz Citra, 0.5oz Pacifica
0- 0.5oz Citra, 1oz Pacifica
Dry Hop- 1oz Citra, 1oz Pacifica, 1oz Pacific Jade

Est. OG-> 1.057, IBU- 50ish

Trying to make the flavor/aroma have some of the orange from the pacifica, the spicy peppery citrus from the Jade, with a strong but not overpowering Citra aroma/taste too. More of an APA than an IPA in terms of gravity, so I want the bitterness to be softer and not as harsh.

I have 4oz total of Jade and Pacifica, and 3oz total of the Citra. Also have centennial, chinook, amarillo, simcoe that could be used, but I want to focus upon the 3 hops primarily.

Any suggestions to make sure each hop is present in the flavor and aroma? I know Citra can overpower and I don't want that to happen. Also was considering using Centennial for bittering to save more Pacific Jade, but I read Centennial is not as smooth for that as Jade.Maybe a little simcoe instead for bittering, but I'd like to avoid the piney taste (other APA i'm making is pine-focused)

Personally I'd stick with what you have. I've used Jade in a smash several times at similar gravity/ibu as this recipe, and it NEVER fails to impress. It's easily my favorite and most popular pale ale.

If you're worried about Citra overpowering the others, you could drop it from the flameout addition and/or cut down the amount in the dry hop. That should help with the overpowering citrus aroma that in my opinion, can be the strongest part of the 'Citra' experience.

All in all, rdwhahb, I'm sure no matter what it'll be a wonderful APA.

Brewed this one up two days ago! Pretty much the same recipe except had to up the bittering charge because I had some crazy good efficiency. Pre-boil was 1.058, did not get a post boil gravity check due to my hydrometer tube warping (woops hot wort + plastic haha), but calculated it was around 1.065-1.070. So 0.75 Jade at bittering, and I believe I changed the 10 minute addition to a 5, and added a little pacifica at 15.

Lookin forward to seeing what this one tastes like in a month or so!

Nice! Shame about your hydrometer tube, lol. I look forward to hearing your comments! It sounds like an interesting beer I might have to try.

Back