Oyster Stout, the picture says it all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This just made me remember an oyster sauce for Virginia ham that Martha made for George Washington in "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American" I still have most of. The book got used so much,the cover shredded off. Sounds like this oyster stout would go well with that!...

I did see a different Harpoon at the new liquor store up on Detroit rd called Bundy's Beverage. It may've been that one?...gotta go look now. I'm thinking of pit bbq'd ham for New Year's again. This & oyster sauce would be nice.

Harpoon has made 2 different batches of their Island Creek Oyster Stout for their 100 Barrel Series. Batch 30 was available starting in February 2010 and was brewed by Katie Tame. Batch 36 was available starting in March of 2011, and brewed by Bill Leahy.

Of the 39 batches made so far in this series, Island Creek Oyster Stout is the only duplicate.

I preferred Batch 30. I felt I detected a little more of a chocolate note, but what the hell do I know?!?!?!

I am still holding onto a bottle of Batch 36, and always on the look out for a stray bottle hiding on the shelves of a packie.

I really wish Harpoon would add this one to their line up....maybe to the Leviathan Series. :rockin:

This stuff is actually coming along quite well. It's been in the bottle for two weeks so its not quite ready yet. It needs 2 more weeks.

I can't really tell what the oysters are adding to the flavor, at most a little saltiness but not much. I really like it, it should compliment our seafood Christmas dinner nicely! :rockin: I almost wish I would have added the shells also, just to go all out. To all those who find this repulsive, it's more of a mental hurdle then a flavor one with this beer.

I brewed mine this morning. I shucked them, just so they where open. I tossed them in shells and all, they where pretty tasty after being cooked in wort for 15 minutes :D.

Here she is amazingly tasty and the oysters only come out in the nose. Kind of like smelling the ocean, very faint though.
CAM_0101.jpg

good lacing to.
CAM_0106.jpg

So, there is rumored to be a beer brewed in South America brewed with a whole chicken. Any takers?

Anything like this??

Cock Ale
Classification: cock ale, historical, 1500s, chicken, meat

Source: Chris Sutherland ([email protected]), 6/20/93
The recipe for authentic Cock Ale has finally arrived. Boy it sure is scary:

COCK ALE (circa the 1500's) A real recipe from some obscure text found in the Scottish Highlands... Enjoy....

Procedure:
"Take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar until his bones are broken (you must gut him when you flay him). Then, put the cock into two quarts of sack, and put to it five pounds of raisins of the sun - stoned; some blades of mace, and a few cloves. Put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has been working, put the bag and ale together in vessel.

In a week or nine days bottle it up, fill the bottle just above the neck and give it the same time to ripen as other ale."

I, for one, have no plans to parboil my cock, nor flay him, nor stamp him. :drunk:

Oooweee! Now why would I be apt to do such a daft thing?? Dang,that hurt just reading about it...:D:drunk: But wouldn't the fat mess up the ale?

Just saw this thread. At first I went... what??? Now I'm intrigued. Just a month ago I got a 5 gal bucket of oysters at low tide in Bogue Sound here in NC. These were delicious. I plan doing this every Nov/Dec now and may have to brew up a 5 gal batch next year.

Back