Oxyclean/Citric acid questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krovitz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time using oxyclean versatile free. Used 1/2 blue scoop in 5 gallons of hot water and bottles were spotless in less than 3 hours. After reading multiple posts on residue, I was planning on soaking bottles tonight in 5 gallons of hot water and a couple table spoons of concentrated citric acid for 6 hours. However, there is no visible residue. I do not have a bottle washer, I just filled bottles with tap water and brushed the insides. Is it overkill to proceed as planned or better safe than sorry?
Also, if I'm not delabeling, can I skip the oxyclean soak and just soak in citric acid?

Thanks fellas.

P.s. these steps are for cleaning only, I would still sanitize in star san on bottling day.

if your bottles are residue free a simple sanitzer soak/rinse is all that is needed. If you have residue that does not remove when brushed, PBW is the best bet, although some people use unscented oxyxlean

I use oxyclean a lot, we get most of our bottles residue free, I have two coolers, one with oxyclean mix, and second with water, I rinse them in the second throw them on a bottling tree. I usually boil the ones that aren't to break it up and scrub a bit, or throw them away, because we drink too much.

I just put them in sanitizer on bottling day as mentioned above, although the bottling tree really helps to dry them out well, I just got a 2 inch dowel, and drilled in a bunch of 3/8 inch dowels the whole way up it.

or throw them away, because we drink too much.

Same here, IMO if I need to seriously scrub and clean bottles its just not worth it to me. I rinse bottles the same day I drink them and have spotless bottles on bottling day waiting for some sanitizer

Thanks guys. The bottles are spotless. I just can't tell if I got that slippery feeling out of the inside.

So, if I rinse well after drinking, I can just sanitize the next time around?

I have never had a problem. Rinse recently opened bottles well with hot water then sanitze when its time to bottle.

I love oxyclean but have found that it is very sneaky in terms of when it is "rinsed" off. Often times I have washed a carboy out three or four times and when I fill it up, I can still see oxy bubbles at work. For me its 5-6 rinses minimum...the a few more before actual use. I am probably overdoing it though

Citirc Acid does an outstanding job of getting the OxyClean rinsed off. With basket presses it is standard practice to clean the wood with OxyClean (Sodium Percarbonate) and then re-acidify the wood with citric acid solution.

Citric acid is also the secret to impeccably clean and spot free glassware.

Thanks for all the help! I put the bottles in the acid bath for good measure. Can't wait to get this beer bottled.

Back