Oxidized wort during boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverhammer

Reaction score
I just read in Palmer's book that oxidizing the wort during a boil is very bad... now I know why a beer I made a few months back was so terrible. I was brewing with a friend and lots of grains were coming out of the mash tun and into the kettle, so we got the "brilliant" idea of using a strainer to catch the grains. This beer had the most wretched taste ever, and until now I thought it was contamination. we sanitized as usual and this was my first gong-show of a beer, so I'm convinced it was the strainer. Just thought I'd share so nobody else has to learn the way I did.
Peace

I don't know if thats oxidation. If grain was in the kettle it was most likely tannins that were extracted from the grain during the boil. If you mean hot side aeration, that is pretty much considered a myth now.

Hot-side aeration is pretty much a myth. Homebrewers really don't have to worry about it.

You should vorlauf next time - it's in the book, also.

like the above stated, the strainer didn't cause oxidation of the beer or any off flavors to occur. i measure my runnings in a bucket and them pour/splash them into the kettle before firing it up; this should lead to tons of hot side aeration, but it has never negatively affected the final beer. maybe you can supply more information about the beer and we can help you figure out why it turned out poorly.

When I did partial mashes I dumped my mash through a chinoise into my brew kettle, my stronger beers didn't show any oxidation after being cellared at 60-65F for 2 to 3 years.

Back