Oxidized my beer!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggnof

Reaction score
I have a Russian imperial stout that's been sitting in primary for the past couple of weeks. Today I went to take a sample from it (using a turkey baster) and foolishly forgot to squeeze the baster bulb before putting it into the wort. So, when I squeezed the bulb to take the sample I injected my wort with a bunch of air causing the wort to bubble as the air rose to the surface. I know your not supposed to aerate the wort after fermentation as it can cause the yeast to produce off sherry or cardboard favors. My question is how much oxygen does it take to do this? Am I going to be in trouble from the amount I injected with the baster, or should I just wait a few weeks and find out?

It'll be fine. You introduced perhaps a little O2 but nothing to be worried about. If you had shaken your fermenter for a minute, I'd be worried. RDWHAHB!

Oxygen takes a long time to show it's affect. It will make the beer go 'stale' quicker; basically shortening the time you can store the beer.

It also takes a lot to get O2 into the beer. One big bubble going through a couple of inches of beer will not do much. In-fact the O2 in the bubble did not mix with the wort, so would not have affected. I suspect you will have no effect from the bubble.

Back