oxidized batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deafmeadmaker

Deafmeadmaker
Reaction score
This one has me stumped. My last 4 batches have all become oxidized and taste like You've bitten down on tin foil. I bought new buckets and carboys in case of bacterial infection. I doubled down on cleaning and sterilizing (washed and sanitized twice.) I've lived in two apartments since the first batch. There are fruit flies coming in. I've cleaned, sprayed and set traps to catch them and that seems to have worked although they may return. There are a lot of bubbles, foamy head coming out of my mini pump. I've cleaned and sterilized that after each use, but the problem persists. I have found fruit flies in my airlock (trying to get in?) This has me stumped and is becoming very expensive to be throw batch after batch away. What else am I missing? is there something I can do??

I use vodka in all of my airlocks. Some bugs can swim, although I'm not sure if a fruit fly would be one of them, but, I doubt they would make it through the vodka to actually get into your must.

Actually it is what I wanted to hear. I can take bad news and I just have to watch out for fruit flies. Putting vodka in the airlock is something I hadn't considered. Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually it is what I wanted to hear. I can take bad news and I just have to watch out for fruit flies. Putting vodka in the airlock is something I hadn't considered. Thanks for the suggestion.
No problem. I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

My last 4 batches have all become oxidized . . . There are a lot of bubbles, foamy head coming out of my mini pump.
I don't know what you use the mini pump for, but the bubbling would indicate that it's your oxidation source. I would think that's not a cleaning problem, but an equipment or set up problem.

Fruit flies are nasty, but not the source of your oxidation. I would look at that pump, and any other sources of agitation after fermentaion is done. Plus watch your headspace. Finally, are you using metabisulphite to prevent oxidation at rackings and bottling? If not, you should consider it.

My last 4 batches have all become oxidized

There are a lot of bubbles, foamy head coming out of my mini pump.

What else am I missing? is there something I can do??

What are you using the mini pump for?

Are you sure the mead is oxidized?

There are too many other variables that could cause flavor problems, without knowing your full method/process its difficult to provide a solution.

I'd wonder about the pumping as well. Could it be a contamination source, if say there's no fine filter on the air coming in, and/or the stone is coarser, or not fully sterile?

Probably only want air for first 2/3ds of the ferment, and none afer that, as well?

Latest posts

Back