Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billism

Reaction score
Hello,

First time brewer here, in case you haven't seen my posts in the past week.

I was just thinking of the procedures I did on brew day (last Sunday). I measured the OG in the fermenter after adding water (room temp water) to the wort. At this point, it was 87 degrees. According to my calculations, that means the un-diluted wort poured into the fermenter was about 109 degrees F. I poured kind of fast to allow airation. After reading more online, I realize that may have been bad and I should have let it cool to 80.

Is airation at 109 degrees going to effect the end product badly?

Not really. Hot side aeration is only a worry before the boil, and its effects don't manifest themselves until your beer has been conditioning for 3-4 months.

I've seen 80F bandied about on this forum some, but most of the credible sources seem to say that hot side aeration isn't a problem any below 110F.

Are you getting airlock action?

The reason you let it cool is so you don't kill the yeast.

I assume you're doing a partial boil, so next time cool the wort by putting the pot in an ice water bath in the sink until cools to 130*F. Let the faucet run to help it cool.

Put cold water in the fermentor and top it off with the cooled wort (2 gal water + 3 gal wort, or whatever as long as it's 5 gal total).

Take a hydrometer reading when the temp reaches 70-80*F.

Put the top on the fermentor and aerate by rocking the carboy or bucket for about 3 minutes. Put the airlock on and smile.

If you're getting airlock action, it's good to go.

Prost! said:
Are you getting airlock action?

The reason you let it cool is so you don't kill the yeast.

I assume you're doing a partial boil, so next time cool the wort by putting the pot in an ice water bath in the sink until cools to 130*F. Let the faucet run to help it cool.

Put cold water in the fermentor and top it off with the cooled wort (2 gal water + 3 gal wort, or whatever as long as it's 5 gal total).

Take a hydrometer reading when the temp reaches 70-80*F.

Put the top on the fermentor and aerate by rocking the carboy or bucket for about 3 minutes. Put the airlock on and smile.

If you're getting airlock action, it's good to go.

I think you missed the point here, Prost.

He was asking about oxidation.... :)

-walker

If you are only boiling part of the liquid requirements needed for your wort such as boiling 2 gallons and adding 3 gallons after to mix with the boiled wort then I suggest you cool the boiled wort down to the coldest you can get it in the shortest time you can do it. Then you can aerate this wort a little and then add the cold water to your wort to make up the difference. The cold water you add already has o2 in solution as it hasn't been boiled out. Then you can pitch your yeast if the temperture is right for your yeast specs. BTW did I mention to cool as low as you can, this means at least to below75f before adding cold water, not to 130f as was posted earlier. Adding cold water to 130f water will not bring down the temperture to pitching temps and will affect the overall taste of your brew if your yeast is pitched into too high a wort temperture. Cheers.
BTW the origional question was answered by the above posters.

Latest posts

Back