Oxidation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bock

Reaction score
Hi,

Tommorow i have to keg my beer. I did this brew at a friend house.
Question is, if i full the keg with my beer and travel in car for 30mins do i risk to oxide the beer? corny keg will not be full at the top so it will have air in the keg.

I do not really want to bring my huge co2 bottle but if i have to, i will.

Bring your CO2 with you. Seal the keg up proper and purge it. I wouldn't dream of not doing that before transferring kegs that I've just filled. I drive about 20-30 minutes to bring the kegged brew home after kegging it at my buddy's place.

Prefill the keg with co2, then fill, then bleed off the o2 and with co2. Oxygen is lighter and will purge if you carb it and then release some pressure.

Dawgs47 said:
Prefill the keg with co2, then fill, then bleed off the o2 and with co2. Oxygen is lighter and will purge if you carb it and then release some pressure.

How long does it take the o2 to really 'rise to the top'? Generally for stuff like this I give it a minute or two cause I'm a tad impatient. Should I be wAiting longer to purge or is this fine.

eh, i doubt it, co2 and o2 being miscible. burping works because you greatly increase the volume of co2, then release pressure, then repeat. so every time you do this, the o2 is a smaller fraction.

As mentioned by TimpanogosSlim, you hit it with CO2 (after it's filled with beer and the lid is on) until you don't hear any more going in. Usually this is pretty fast depending on how much void there is between the top of the beer and the top of the keg. Then you pull the relief ring (or hit the pressure release) to vent the gas from the keg. Repeat several times. I believe at least 5 is highly recommended. I don't think you need to do more than 10 though. I've done as little as three without any problems cropping up.

Also, I would transport your kegs with CO2 pressure in them (I typically leave mine at 10psi when stored). Pull the relief on them before opening, and then fill from the bottom. The CO2 will still be in the lower part of the keg, covering the beer as it flows in. If you fill via the liquid post, this is even better. Still purge the air from the keg when you finish filling though.

After all the time, energy, effort, etc. that you put into making the beer, it would be a shame to oxidize it at this point.

Back